My friend's dog (1 Viewer)

RiverCitySaint

Nerf herder
Reaction score
I was just told that my friend has to take her very elderly Shih Tzu to the vet this afternoon, possibly to have him put to sleep.
He has cancer I believe and renal failure is in the process. She also mentioned that he is starting to turn circles a lot and has twitches. This does not look good for the pup and I fear the worst. This is going to tear her up. She loves animals and her dogs and cat are her family.
I did send her information on the crematorium I used when my Marilynn had to go to sleep 2 years ago. It was rough on me to send that, but those people were great.

Please pray for her and the little dog. Both will need everyone's best wishes.

Attachments

• l_d5a878272006047012e6d8090011bd07.jpg
    l_d5a878272006047012e6d8090011bd07.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your friends dog. My girlfriend's parents have an 18 year old Shih Tzu that is mostly blind and mostly deaf. She lives in her own world staring at walls and barking. I think she'll make it to 20.

Sorry to hear about your friends dog. My girlfriend's parents have an 18 year old Shih Tzu that is mostly blind and mostly deaf. She lives in her own world staring at walls and barking. I think she'll make it to 20.

Yeah, from what I hear that breed can live to an incredible old age.

Update: 5:24 pm, Monday 14. January, 2008.

Rest in peace Gizmo. You will be missed.

From CajunCook, The Rainbow Bridge.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet
goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special
friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water
and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor.
Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we
remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy
and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special
to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops
and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body
quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green
grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy
kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and
you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from
your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm very sorry for your friend. I understand. I have two shih tzu's...one is a blind male who is 12 1/2 (he had an ulcer in his eye, had surgery about six months ago, but, still is blind--I think he can see shadows.) He got depressed for a couple of months, but, now he is accepting it. He knows how to get to his toys, his food, and will even walk all the way down the hallway along the wall. He's OK. My other shih tzu is a 3 year girl. 'Nuff said on that one....you can imagine the hell she gives the older dog!! :D

Last edited:
Oh, rats. It's always hard to lose a dog...when you lose a younger one, there's the sadness and shock of a life cut short suddenly. When you lose an older one, it's not unexpected but there's the emptiness of losing a very comfortable, familiar part of your life. Prayers to your friend; I know that pain. I'm already anticipating my old girl's departure -- Lola is over 15, losing her eyesight and muscle strength. But, she still eats like a champ (unresolveable loss of appetite a real indicator for me when an old dog is "ready to go"), and tries to run across the yard. She will lose her balance when trotting across the ceramic tile, fall over, and if she gets up facing the wrong way, she'll just go back to her crate...:). But also, never give up too soon, either...she was fighting ear infections since we moved to Houston 4 years ago (never had a bad ear in her first 11 years in NY/NJ), and was essentially deaf -- with her eyesight going, I thought there was no way she could be happy both blind and deaf. Well, a change in food resolved the ear issues completely, and now she can hear me again...helped her equilibrium, too, and she doesn't fall over anymore unless she turns sharply while moving fast. Teeth problems can cause pain and keep a dog from eating; arthritis can make them not want to move much. Antibiotics and prednisone on short term, on-and-off cycles can make them much more comfortable, and really at that age we're not worried about "long term effects" as much as comfort. Lola is still going strong and feeling good (and eating very well!), but I know that the day will come when my help will not be enough....:(

Godspeed, Gizmo. Say hi to my canine friends at the Bridge.

I'll show my friend this thread soon.....she's a new Saints fan also BTW.

I did go over there this evening for a while and she was pretty messed up. She kept apologizing for the way she was and all, but I understand. We all have had to do the deed one way or another, but that solidarity does not make things any easier. It brought back some painful memories I have with my cat 2 years ago, but I know that it was the right thing to do.

Yes, we will meet them again at the Bridge.

I'll show my friend this thread soon.....she's a new Saints fan also BTW.

I did go over there this evening for a while and she was pretty messed up. She kept apologizing for the way she was and all, but I understand. We all have had to do the deed one way or another, but that solidarity does not make things any easier. It brought back some painful memories I have with my cat 2 years ago, but I know that it was the right thing to do.

Yes, we will meet them again at the Bridge.

Dealing with both cancer and renal failure in a dog is hard...there's really nothing you can do for them, except relieve them from the pain and discomfort. Letting go is sometimes the greatest gift we can give those dear old friends.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom