My good/bad for Week 2 (1 Viewer)

saints4life25

Who Dat?!?!
Reaction score
Tough loss today, for the second straight week. Plenty of good. Plenty of bad.

First, the good:

Dline: Dline played a phenominal game today. They dominated the run game. Fairley, Davison, and Jordan lived in the backfield. They maintained gap control and got tons of push. The dline was very much the reason for the 2.0 rushing average for the Giants today. Kruger made a little noise this week as well. The Giants struggles inside the 5 can be put squarely on the front 4s shoulders. They had quite a few dominant wins down on the goal line. Very encouraging day from this group.

Jairus Byrd: Byrd made the bad list last week. As bad as he was last week, he was just as good this week. Without getting a chance to rewatch the game yet, I would say I saw him down in the screen to start a play more than any other game he's played here. He made 3 or 4 TD saving tackles, just off the top of my head. Really laid the wood on a TE in the flat. Loved his game today.

Craig Robertson: What a get this guy was. When he hits guys, they stop. His diagnosis of plays is top notch, as seen by his multiple plays in the backfield on runs today. I'm don't even care if Ellerbe comes back, because this is the best linebacker the Saints have had in some time.

Sterling Moore: This looks like it will be a quality pick up. When the starting corners come back, we may have a quality group. While he did a good job on OBJ today, I don't think he's legit #1 quality, but filled in admirably today. His 4th down pass break up in the end zone was a thing of beauty.

The bad:

Oline: Giants have a quality group up front, and from what I could tell, did a good deal of blitzing. As far as holding up, they did well, but had quite a few miscommunications that left guys untouched on blitzes. With a few of those last week, this is a bit of a concern. Don't know if Brees is calling out protection or if Unger is, but these things need to be cleaned up. The blocked field goal was the difference in the day. 10 point swing there. 95 completely blew up the line. You can talk trajectory all you want, but if they block 95 on that play, it's 3-0 instead of 0-7.

Coby Fleener: Rough day at the office. Had 3 balls hit him in the hands and then hit the turf. He doesn't create a lot of separation in his route running, which causes him to have to make some catches in traffic, which he seems to struggle at. Brees really looked for him a lot today, with the great coverage from the corners, and he didn't deliver.

Brandon Coleman: This one is tough, because I feel like he was interfered with on the first drop, but he ended up with both hands on it, all the way to the ground, then dropped it. On the second one, it would have been a circus catch, but only because he waited so long to get his head around. Colemans size makes him so appealing, but often times, Cooks and Snead play bigger. His hands just aren't strong and it makes him struggle with contested catches.

Devante Harris: Crawley was here last week, and the last play will have people calling for his head again, but Harris had a bad day. Shepard did what he wanted all game, mostly against Harris. The other 2 corners at least had moments. Harris looked like a deer in the headlights in the slot today. Didn't make a single play on a ball. Rough day for the youngster.

Overall, good day on defense, which was surprising. Bad day on offense, which was mildly surprising. The Giants have the Dline and corners to give plenty of offenses problems, but better execution on some plays, and we win this game. Lots of work to do.

I love this post.

I agree with it all. Byrd really did step up today and we all hope that it carries over. I am not buying the idea that we cut Spiller because he couldn't get the playbook. I say that because Coleman and Fleener both looked lost and they don't look to be going anywhere.

I love this post.

I agree with it all. Byrd really did step up today and we all hope that it carries over. I am not buying the idea that we cut Spiller because he couldn't get the playbook. I say that because Coleman and Fleener both looked lost and they don't look to be going anywhere.

I don't think either look lost, they just struggle with the same thing: catching the football. I notice it the most in tight coverage. Fleener tends to want to body catch. Coleman doesn't try to body catch. He's actually a hands catcher. Problem is, he just doesn't hold on.

The Oline did fine. Some of you guys have unrealistic expectations. This is football. Remember all the threads saying the Vikings Oline was loaded. They can't pass block at all.

For as many blitzes as the Giants sent at us to only give up two sacks is fine, If you want to say the special teams were bad that's fine.

The Oline did fine. Some of you guys have unrealistic expectations. This is football. Remember all the threads saying the Vikings Oline was loaded. They can't pass block at all.

For as many blitzes as the Giants sent at us to only give up two sacks is fine, If you want to say the special teams were bad that's fine.

I struggled with putting them there. The biggest reason why is the blown assignments again, on top of the blocked field goal, which was the biggest play of the game. They blitzed a lot, but the communication on who to pick up on those blitzes was poor.

I mention in my comment on them that they did well as far as holding up. Just hope to see better communication on the blitzes and better blocking on FG.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom