My home pc has a virus!!! (1 Viewer)

atceagle

BRING THE WOOD!
Reaction score
I think it does anyway. Need some help. Yesterday, I went to watch a video someone had sent me and it said I needed to download something to view it. So I did but it seemed like it never fully downloaded and the video never worked. So last night and this morning, I'm getting these popups some I can't tell if they are real or not. One is a "Windows Security Alert." It says Windows has detected an Internet attack attempt....Click here to download spyware remover for total protection. My tool bar at the top has changed and has added "remove popups, scan spyware, securtiy test, spam protection." Also, my background has changed to a red screen with a bad looking symbol saying "your privacy is in danger, download privacy protection software now."

Just got another popup saying "Security Warning" Worm.win32.netsky detected on your machine. It goes on to say click yes to remove it from your PC immediately but if I click yes more virus protection pop ups come up.

Any suggestions? I ran adaware and restarted my computer but no difference.

Yup, you got hammered.

Spybot.

If spybot cant get rid of it all, but yet shows what it is, do a google search on it, there are a ton of tools out there for specific types of spyware, virii and trojons

man, it's got 3 icons on my desktop and it's in my ie favorites.

I see these pop-ups all the time. While Spybot will definitely help out some, it won't get all of them.

I recommend using a program called Smitfraud Fix. Smitfraud is a type of spyware (very nasty), and I'm pretty sure it's causing at least some of your problems.

Just download the program, update it, and run it. It's very simple to use, as it is based in a DOS environment. They also recommend that you put your computer in Safe Mode when running the clean. You can download it from the following link. Good luck!

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

I see these pop-ups all the time. While Spybot will definitely help out some, it won't get all of them.

I recommend using a program called Smitfraud Fix. Smitfraud is a type of spyware (very nasty), and I'm pretty sure it's causing at least some of your problems.

Just download the program, update it, and run it. It's very simple to use, as it is based in a DOS environment. They also recommend that you put your computer in Safe Mode when running the clean. You can download it from the following link. Good luck!

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

Spybot will get rid of most smitfraud variations in safe mode, or pre-desktop load, but your right, not all. This why I recommended a scan, and what it couldn't get rid of, google for a utility to do the rest.

Definitely update and run SpyBot and AdAware in Safe Mode.. This keeps the spyware from loading into memory at boot up..

You may also want to download AVG virus scanner, get all of the updates and run a scan just to see if you really have any viruses..

Also, you may want to download SpywareBlaster from JavaCoolSoftware.. It's a handy little tool that helps to keep spyware from ever installing..

My "son-in-law" downloaded this mess at Christmas.

I used msconfig to turn it off so that I could re-boot and wipe it out with spybot and adaware. Spybot can't get rid of it if it is still in memory and it will go into memory every time you boot up until you turn it off. Safe mode may be best for this. I'm just saying what I did.

After that I downloaded and installed avast on my step-daughter's computer so that he would have a more difficult time messing things up.

But then you don't get that neat Apple logo and the ability to tell people... buy a Mac. :ezbill:

:shrug:

Nope, you get a free, cute little penguin instead..

334px-Tux.svg.png

:hihi:

its not as much a virus as much as a "hyjack". What downloaded was nusuense program to get you to buy a program from the same people that just hyjacked you to remove the program they hyjacked you with.

I tried several things to get rid of it, nothing worked and i had to do a system restore.

You should never have to download anything to watch a video, ever.

its not as much a virus as much as a "hyjack". What downloaded was nusuense program to get you to buy a program from the same people that just hyjacked you to remove the program they hyjacked you with.

I tried several things to get rid of it, nothing worked and i had to do a system restore.

You should never have to download anything to watch a video, ever.

Yes, that's exactly what it's doing. Currently using Firefox while Spybot runs.....slow... two things it has found is the Smitfraud thing and Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled. Trying to get this thing cleaned up before the wife gets home. She's gonna kill me.

The thing about the video, it came up and said I needed an Active X something to view it. I think that is what did it, not sure.

It's now saying that it can't fix the problem because I am not the administrator. What the crap did I do wrong? Seriously, the search and destroy just took 5 hrs.

On a good note, the wife took it ok because I told her the good folks at SR gave me advice to fix it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom