My Idea to Fix the Current Problem of Pathetic Officiating (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
You know how players and coaches are mandated to give media interviews or at least be available for them? Do the same thing for the referee crews after games end. Force them to explain their rationale for the pathetic calls made during the game before the league office has a chance in to write the narrative for them.

You think the exodus of officials after last season was some random event? No. They realized how much blame and hatred was getting focused on them because the league keeps making and changing rules that are nearly impossible for the officials to apply consistently throughout an entire game, much less an entire season. Cool, you can't handle the job. Take a hike. But if you're going to take the job, you should be put in front of the mics and cameras since you're now just as important to the outcome of many games as players and coaches are.

The two 3rd down missed DPI calls in the fourth quarter killed scoring drives (or at least reduced the points scored on those drives) which woulda coulda put the game out of reach had both been called correctly. Any intern for a newspaper who watched that game yesterday could have asked the referees questions for a half hour about the final blown call for a half hour with how much was riding on that blown call.

They are the only people involved with the game that aren't publicly held accountable for their performance while at the same time they, more often than not, have just as much of an influence on the outcome as anyone else involved with the game. Accountability is the name of the game and the refs have gotten away with being awful for far too long. Put them in front of the press and force them to take responsibility for the calls they made - both good and bad.

I said something similar last night. Yes, they name the crews for those that care to look it up; but they don't ANNOUNCE it and make it easy. They try and keep it anonymous as possible. This was supposed to help uphold the integrity of the game. Well, it doesn't. It allows them to hide behind the veil. And this hurts the NFL who has made "player safety" a No. 1 priority when the "nameless" refs miss those very calls.

Hire full time officials and pay them accordingly.

Have one person with the authority and duty to stop the game on helmet-to-helmet/possible concussion hits. Not just lip service and pretending to not see.

If the NFL was worried about player safety, they would adopt the college targeting rule or some variation of it. For example, no ejection, only a personal foul.

If the NFL was worried about getting the calls on the field right, they would adopt the college replay system and not limit it to 2-3 coach challenges. Reviews don't slow the college game that much.

If the NFL was worried about fixing what happened yesterday, they would adopt the CFL rule whereby PI can be reviewed.

The work has been done for them by others. The only remaining question is whether they want to change. My guess is they don't, but time will tell.

InsideJob,

I know that through the years you and I haven't always seen eye-to-eye, but after assiduously studying your avatar, I think we can agree on a solution to the referee problem . . .

1548098413261.png

. . . I'm sure these would be big sellers in the shops down in the Quarter and the stalls in the French Market.

Has anybody copyrighted the WeWuzRobbed .com address yet?

Hire full time officials and pay them accordingly.

Have one person with the authority and duty to stop the game on helmet-to-helmet/possible concussion hits. Not just lip service and pretending to not see.

I think you still need some accountability that sits with the franchises that are playing the game. Coaches should have the ability to use their allotted challenges for non-calls.

The NFL just had record revenues.

Goodell is raking in the cash. Multibillion dollar operation.

It wouldn't be too hard for them to set up a better, more accountable, arm's length system to officiate games integrating the latest technologies. Like anything it would take some development and there would be kinks to work out.

But they aren't even trying.

They could outsource officiating to a third party like airports can outsource security. If they want to.

The optics of that could be better because fans could blame the "officiating company" instead of the league itself and there could be more of a perception of impartiality. Just have to work out how they are paid how the league office would influence the officiating group.

There avenues to look at, if they would just do it.

Since they don't you suspect they don't care or they prefer to have that direct influence with the officiating.

It wouldn't be too hard for them to set up a better, more accountable, arm's length system to officiate games integrating the latest technologies. Like anything it would take some development and there would be kinks to work out.

This is similar to what I have been saying, have a remote/off field official that has the same power as an on field ref. Can throw/pick up flags as he sees them via video. It wouldn't even take additional reviews. Just call it as it is seen. Especially for when the on field crew screws up.

In the CFL you can challenge a penalty...

Pretty embarrassing the CFL would have gotten this right but the NFL couldn't

Right it’s as simple as implementing this rule.
4 challenges overall
2 for turnover type plays/catches
2 for penalty flags

Issue would of been fixed and saints would be in their 2nd Super Bowl.

In the CFL you can challenge a penalty...

Pretty embarrassing the CFL would have gotten this right but the NFL couldn't

Ive always thought they hold on to that (there is no reason not to be able to challenge penalties like any other play in the game) because they like to be able to have the ability to influence games... i think before yesterday i only half believed it... now there is no question in my mind.

Now influencing games doesnt always turn out how they like so this is quickly referenced and therefore the excuse when they explain what seems to be purposeful calls shifting a game.

So do they fix games perse? Not 100%, but they absolutely push it to an outcome they want it to be... zero question in my mind after that yesterday. You have two officials 5 yds away clearly zeroed in on the play that was again, probably the obvious PI call in nfl history. They do NOTHING. Swallow the whistles and try the “its a fast game”, “its a bang bang play” reasoning... naw, not this time, there is no selling that. Its a blatant no call on a clear and obvious penalty.

It’s not complicated at all. Each team now gets 3 challenges. Penalties or non calls can now be reviewed under the same scrutiny as challenges now (clear and unmistakeable evidence that wrong call was made). Also, if a player goes into concussion protocol, as Josh Hill did yesterday, it is an automatic review (just like turnovers and scores) to see if it was helmet to helmet hit that caused it. If so, player who initiated is ejected and is fined full game check. This way, ur not reviewing every penalty, just the ones where it is obvious the officials made a bad call or no call.

It looked like one ref was about to throw the flag and he should have!!! They have ability to overturn a flag but no way they could have!! I just have to vent

The first thing to do is make the humans involved better. Make them earn their jobs constantly like the players and utilize VR to simulate real conditions as well as test and improve their performance

I think you still need some accountability that sits with the franchises that are playing the game. Coaches should have the ability to use their allotted challenges for non-calls.
This is the problem. Coaching staffs and players are expected to be accountable for every aspect of the NFL's policies. Where is the accountability for the refs? I can't believe I never asked that question before.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom