My last Taysom Hill thread (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'm going to apologize in advance for another Taysom Hill post, but this will be my last until it all folds out. I think people generally have the wrong ideas about Taysom Hill being our future QB. I believe Sean Payton has a distinct vision for him as well that doesn't quite fit the average QB mold. I am going to assume/predict 4 things about the Taysom Hill era some of which are obvious others are counter intuitive nevertheless this is my last Taysom Hill post, I promise. Let's begin:

1. Sean Payton will reinvent offense. Many people I feel are holding Taysom Hill to the Drew Brees, Patrick Mahomes mold. He ain't them, he will never be them. I envision an offense with Taysom at QB to look like Tim Tebow meets Cam Newton. We will run the ball like no other team ever has in NFL history. Prepare to see Sean Payton at his absolute best play calling with Hill. We have an offensive line that is designed to maul people, a very gifted RB, and an automatic first down at WR.
2. As a result of such a physical style of play I dont expect Taysom Hill to have a very long career. We are going to get 6 years out of him, max. The thing I want to point out is it's not about quantity but rather quality. I believe out of those 6 years, 4 of them will be quality years.
3. Our defense will become elite, extra cap space,
An offense that keeps the defense fresh, and returning talent. I definitely see this defense rising to new heights. We will be able to solidify our secondary which has been our akilis heel in the post season.
4. The NFL will figure Taysom Hill out eventually. Most mobile QB's have stellar years early in their career then defensive coaches get film and the party is over. Maybe Taysom is a gimmick after all, even if he is a damn good one. Sean Payton might already know this, but perhaps by the time defenses catch up we would've already added some hardware to our trophy case. If anyone can pull that off its Sean Payton.

Since that was your last Taysom post, I guess we'll never find out if you are for or against going forward with him as the QB...

Just kidding.

Taysom is a complete unknown. Upside is a steve young clone, downside is... taysom hill in the 3 years of preseason games hes played for us.

IMO, it's probably not a good idea to get too caught up in the what might be's, and better to just kick back and see what happens. If Drew plays this season, theres a good chance we may never get to see Taysom as a starting QB. If Drew retires, then theres a chance, for good or for ill that we could see it this year.

When he left college his injury record and run centric QB style left him undrafted. Green Bay obviously saw something, because they gave him a decent shot in the Pre Season to compete for the Backup QB role. It isn't just my opinion but he was generally viewed to be the best of the backups in that Pre Season.

GB admits that they only waived him because they were confident they could sneak him through unclaimed.

Sean Payton has recounted many times that he was looking at a different player when Taysom caught his eye. So much so that in the SB interviews he elaborated and said he called in the other coaches and watched all his film again.

It has to be remembered that they were enamored with his Quarterbacking play. No one, including Payton was thinking special teams let alone WR/TE/RB/FB at this stage. It was his QB skills that were the inspiration to claim him off waivers.

But all of that is just a foreword to my actual point in this post. Taysom has demonstrated a personal quality that you don't see very often in the NFL. An appreciation for the chance to play and the humility to mop floors if that will help his team.

Now that he reaserts himself and seeks to compete for a starting QB role, his thanks is ridicule? To the best of my knowledge he has never compared himself to Lamar, Mahomes, Vick, Young or anyone else. That was the media, players and coaches saying that. Yet some of you and the media have attacked him as if he is making those boasts.

All I see is that his goals for himself are to compete for a starting position and the rather modest claim that he feels he has what it takes.

Today on Who Dat Dish Matthew Beighle made the following comments in his "3 reasons Taysom Hill cannot be a starting QB" article.

1. He doesn’t have the ... speed to be a full-time running quarterback in this league.
  2. He doesn’t have the arm strength or durability to throw all game. His arm strength for a couple throws a game is not what I am questioning, it is his arm strength after 35-40 passes in a game.
  3. His best fit in New Orleans is not as a starting quarterback.
    Hill should ... be content being an all-around player.
Not fast enough? Unlike Drew his poor little arm would tucker out if he tried to throw 35 passes in a real game? Be Content?

Wow just wow.

People love Taysom or seemingly hate him. I don't get the hate part because I can't think of one single thing he has done to earn any disrespect. Oh... and the fantasy players can suck it.

Last edited:
Wonder what people are going to say when Drew retires and we go 6-10 or 7-9 for several seasons. For every mahommes and Jackson that come in with immediate success there's 10 others that don't. We've been spoiled at QB for years. Drew is special and not someone you can just replace that easily.

I'm not hating on taysom....I like the guy. I'm talking regardless of who out next QB is the odds say we'll struggle a few years.

Best we can do is look at what Taysom did at BYU.
We haven’t seen him as an everydayQB for the Saints but we have to be concerned with his health in that roll.
He got hurt quite a few times at BYU so we have to be concerned.

He is also considerably less accurate than Brees but so is 90% of the QB’s in the NFL...

Since that was your last Taysom post, I guess we'll never find out if you are for or against going forward with him as the QB...

Just kidding.

Taysom is a complete unknown. Upside is a steve young clone, downside is... taysom hill in the 3 years of preseason games hes played for us.

IMO, it's probably not a good idea to get too caught up in the what might be's, and better to just kick back and see what happens. If Drew plays this season, theres a good chance we may never get to see Taysom as a starting QB. If Drew retires, then theres a chance, for good or for ill that we could see it this year.
I will take Taysom in the preseason, especially those two games against the Chargers. Wow.

I will take Taysom in the preseason, especially those two games against the Chargers. Wow.

He's a gamer and he has potential to be something. But until we see him perform week after week after week against real NFL football players, he's just like any rookie draft pick QB... a huge question mark.

Actually rookie draft pick QBs got drafted, so they're a bit different from Taysom.

He really winds you and couple others up. Is it his religion or are you mad that he stands in Teddys way? If you can be candid for a moment I'd really like to know why he gets under your skin.

When he left college his injury record and run centric QB style left him undrafted. Green Bay obviously saw something, because they gave him a decent shot in the Pre Season to compete for the Backup QB role. It isn't just my opinion but he was generally viewed to be the best of the backups in that Pre Season.

GB admits that they only waived him because they were confident they could sneak him through unclaimed.

Sean Payton has recounted many times that he was looking at a different player when Taysom caught his eye. So much so that in the SB interviews he elaborated and said he called in the other coaches and watched all his film again.

It has to be remembered that they were enamored with his Quarterbacking play. No one, including Payton was thinking special teams let alone WR/TE/RB/FB at this stage. It was his QB skills that were the inspiration to claim him off waivers.

But all of that is just a foreword to my actual point in this post. Taysom has demonstrated a personal quality that you don't see very often in the NFL. An appreciation for the chance to play and the humility to mop floors if that will help his team.

Now that he reaserts himself and seeks to compete for a starting QB role, his thanks is ridicule? To the best of my knowledge he has never compared himself to Lamar, Mahomes, Vick, Young or anyone else. That was the media, players and coaches saying that. Yet some of you and the media have attacked him as if he is making those boasts.

All I see is that his goals for himself are to compete for a starting position and the rather modest claim that he feels he has what it takes.

Today on Who Dat Dish Matthew Beighle made the following comments in his "3 reasons Taysom Hill cannot be a starting QB" article.

1. He doesn’t have the ... speed to be a full-time running quarterback in this league.
  2. He doesn’t have the arm strength or durability to throw all game. His arm strength for a couple throws a game is not what I am questioning, it is his arm strength after 35-40 passes in a game.
  3. His best fit in New Orleans is not as a starting quarterback.
    Hill should ... be content being an all-around player.
Not fast enough? Unlike Drew his poor little arm would tucker out if he tried to throw 35 passes in a real game? Be Content?

Wow just wow.

People love Taysom or seemingly hate him. I don't get the hate part because I can't think of one single thing he has done to earn any disrespect. Oh... and the fantasy players can suck it.

Nobody here hates him.

I think most people on here are Saint fans first. Unfortunately, we are at a place of uncertainty that we haven't seen since the Aaron Brooks era (Jake going to Carolina added to the debate). The realities of our current dilemma makes some of us uneasy. Mainly, we have 3 guys with the strong probability that 1 will be gone. If you're a Teddy supprter, it drives you crazy that he may be the odd man out. If you're a Taysom supporter you're okay him being an understudy for another year or so, so it's no worries. We will know in a couple of months.

Again, my primary worry should Taysom take over at QB would be his ability to stay healthy and on the field. Outside of that, I totally believe that he can be “good” enough to keep the Saints in the playoffs most years and have a shot

I think most people on here are Saint fans first. Unfortunately, we are at a place of uncertainty that we haven't seen since the Aaron Brooks era (Jake going to Carolina added to the debate). The realities of our current dilemma makes some of us uneasy. Mainly, we have 3 guys with the strong probability that 1 will be gone. If you're a Teddy supprter, it drives you crazy that he may be the odd man out. If you're a Taysom supporter you're okay him being an understudy for another year or so, so it's no worries. We will know in a couple of months.

The frustrating part for me is that as of a month ago the Saints had two top 10-12 starting NFL QBs on their roster and at the start of the 2021 season we will have zero.

I don't care about Taysom in relation to Teddy. Teddy is gone. Numbers don't work. It has nothing to do with Hill, but instead with Brees coming back. Taysom is never going to be our starter long term. Most serious people understand that.

[MOD EDIT - Turn your filter back on, LC. :nono: Inflammatory & Inappropriate]

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom