My Nightmare Mardi Gras (A Long Rant) (1 Viewer)

We really need a few parades around here just for old white guys.

Just so our friends from the north shore can come down, have a half of a wine cooler or so, and just kick back without having to worry about the excessive immigrant population in Metairie, the roving bandits of Popeyes thieves, or any of those gosh darn college kids drinking bud light.

You know, like the good old days.

Bud light is too upscale for college kids. They prefer Natty Light! :mwink:

The Krewe will find out who the rider is and expel him if he indeed guilty. No one needs to be subject to that. With that said, there are riders on that float that are denying it and the facts are a little sketchy (ie, there is no float 23A.) On the flip side, riders are often thrown at from people in the crowd. Maybe not gross but very dangerous. My nephew had horse manure thrown at him last year from a 12 year old kid on the street.

Last edited:
Why would you go to a parade and sit in a lawn chair?

I do it myself because I am a lazy, prematurely old man who only goes to parades because it's fun to drink beer with thousands of other people around in public (and eat fried chicken wings and what not) while my kid runs around with other kids. The last thing I'm trying to do is catch more plastic junk to fill my attic.

Of course, I sit behind the crowd of people trying to get the plastic. I would never think that I could sit in the very front of the neutral ground like I'm watching tv in my living room, and I wouldn't yell at someone who had the gall to stand in front of me to catch stuff like they're neighborhood kids on my lawn.

Glad I have a 0 out of 15 in my OP for simply speaking my peace, but nonetheless:

Hmm.. in front of Xavier Prep? We might've been in the same spot.

No in front of St. Stephen's Church on Napoleon.

Yeah OP, I don't really get it. Why should you get to sit in chairs, with leg-room, then get mad when someone stands in front of you? The people standing have more of a right to be ****** at the guy who ropes his own space off to ensure he gets leg room, while everywhere else is standing room only. At least, that's my opinion.

I think you're misinterpresting what I was saying. I was using it as a figure of speech. I wasn't lounging around stretching my legs out. What I was equivocating it to was just demonstrating how we went from enough standing room for 3 people to less than enough for 1.

Mardi Gras for me has changed a great deal from 10 years ago. All the people blocking off their own little section of land really irks me. Unless you have a drive way on the Ave you do not own the land. The city really needs to start cracking down on this. In fact one crazy lady (probably 50 years old) yelled at me near Phillip on Saturday because I hoped over her wagon trying to make my way across the street. UGH! Also during d'Etat some old lady dropped a flashy beed thingy while standing on her ladder. I went down to pick it up and give it to her because I could careless about beads, and she starts accusing me of stealing her bead. Good lord, first of all it doesn't work that way, and second why do you care about a piece of plastic?

This is the kind of stuff that's been happening to me too. I hand off at least 50% of what I catch and often try to catch things intended for children that overshoot them then give it to them, but sometimes the parents instantly rage thinking I'm trying to steal the stuffed puppy from them.

NOLA parades are only cool in 2 scenarios: A. You have all weekend to stay there, a friend with a couch to crash on within walking distance of the route, and don't mind waiting in stupidly long lines to pee, or willing to risk a public urination arrest or B. You're a tourist that has never seen Mardi Gras and are willing to put up with all the B.S. for a parade because you've never been to one.

Couldn't agree more. This is the exact sentiment I have.

So you are quitting Mardi Gras because your kid only caught 2 beads from the first 3 floats in Muses? And you are bitter because the riders paid attention to their families?

Please don't ever go to Rex, I don't think you would survive the rage it would induce in you.

This post wasn't intended at me but just wanted to add, I did try Rex in 2006 and won't go back because that's what it did to me. I think the bigger problem for me was Zulu, though. The truck parades are really where it's at for throws.

NEWSFLASH:

Mardi Gras doesn't revolve around you and your family.

Everyone is there for the same reasons: to have a good time and create memories. Stop taking everything so personal and treating all inconveniences as this great disrespect and injustice levied against you. It is a fact that people that resemble a donkey's butt attend Mardi Gras. You can't control how these people behave, but you can control how to react to them.

If you feel you have been slighted at a parade; move on - sometimes both physically and emotionally. Don't dwell and simmer on it and let it create a distorted and jaded mentality to ruins the rest of your Mardi Gras. Don't lose faith in the crowd, don't think everyone at Mardi Gras is out to get you, don't pout and create negative energy.

The negative energy and animosity you hold is now being disseminated by you to other people you come into contact with and when it's all said and done you had a crappy time.

I believe that the people that complain about their time at Mardi Gras weren't cut out for Mardi Gras from the beginning. They shouldn't be allowed to leave their homes with fresh carpeting, expensive appliances cable tv, tablets, streaming devices, and high speed internet. If you're going to be annoyed that someone stepped on your foot or unitentionally shoved you by trying to catch beads then you shouldn't be in large crowds and keep your supreme-being self at home.

You can let small things bother you and pout and take your ball and go home or you can join the rest of the 99% of revelers that are having a good time.

I think you took my post WAY out of proportion. I didn't let it taint me. I returned on Mardi Gras Day (albeit to Metairie) and had a great time. My point was that I think all human-to-human respect is getting lost at Mardi Gras. This isn't an LSU game tailgate where people are sharing and having a good time. It's become territorial warfare with the primary combatants being those who least need to be doing it. I'm sorry if you were offended and I am far from 'sheltered' from Mardi Gras - I've gone every year for 30 years. My contention was the deterioration I've seen in that time.

Metairie parades are awesome.

I enjoy the back drop of Applebees, Lowes, Macy's, car dealerships, and the most well thought out and aesthetically pleasing parking garage this world has seen. It just gives that authentic feel to Mardi Gras.

Clearly we're just looking for two different kinds of Mardi Gras. :)

(long post)

Actually I agree with you; I think it's unfortunate that it's like that. Just my 2 cents. Then again I wouldn't have said that in my college years. Things change when you become a parent.

It sounds like the OP was in an area without barricades. If that's the case, how can you expect to get a good view while sitting in a chair? The bands are the only thing that keep the crowds back, and once the floats come up, the riders don't really want to huck giant beads 20 ft+ to a kid in case its not looking and gets clocked, so they give them to the people that come to them.

To reitterate: I wasn't sitting in chairs. Previous years I've stood on St. Charles behind the barricades but people find their way in front of you even with them. Not that I care so much there, though. I actually much prefer the baricades.

(long post)

Loved your post.

1. I agree and this is the situation we'd need to be in to go again. I'd say, in fact, MOST of the folks out there were doing just this.

2. Thanks for recognizing why I chose the spot but in retrospect, like you said, I should've just avoided the other two parades and just caught Muses on Magazine. It's not like I was the only person with the idea to see all 3.

3. I have to laugh at the Metairie talk because, while we've really enjoyed some parades we've seen out there, there's always that stereotypical person you all are describing at each of them. And again for the record, Caesar was great!

I'm used to it, but ya know there's good time harmless drunks, and then those drunks that fall into you, dropping f bombs, and have no common courtesy for those around them.

Let me leverage this post to make another point because some of you hardcore Nola Mardi Gras defenders are not getting my picture correct. What this poster said is what we experienced. The drunks around us would walk in the middle of the bands and start dancing and one even got on a low-level royalty float. No po-po in the area to stop them either.

IMO, the chair is more for the hours leading up to the parade. No way I want to be stuck in the traffic cluster**** that happens the 3-4 hours leading up to the super parades. I get out early or don't go at all.

There isn't really anything to say to someone who gets upset that their seated viewing position gets blocked while the parade is actually rolling.

Again again again we ONLY used the chairs to sit in from 3pm - when the first police cars started to come down the street. The chairs become dumping grounds after that. I wasn't trying to watch the parade like it was coming down Main Street USA in Disneyland.

Part of the problem is that you are an unexperienced NOLA parade-goer and you started off with a HUGE parade night. (Muses draws a very large crowd. Personally, I don't get it but it can't be denied.) Perhaps cut your teeth on the 1st weekend parades when the crowds are much lighter. Build some parade savvy and work your way up to the second weekend's festivities.

As B-Rich mentioned, that area where you are standing is the confluence of 3 parades, early along the route and, hence, the crowds are much heavier there.

Definitely learned both of these lessons.

So you have been going to Mardi Gras parades for 30 years, yet didn't properly plan while with your child?

I took my daughter uptown Monday. Usually I do the blah blah Metairie parades because NOLA with a 3 year old can be daunting. Since the parades in Metairie were canceled, we went uptown. Me, my daughter, and a friend had a great time with 0 problems. We found a decent spot, we were around decent people, and enjoyed the parade.

If you didn't like your surroundings, why not move?

This year we caught Rex on Napoleon. A float tractor got a flat in front of us and they were stuck for 10 minutes. The riders, again, were very generous. One needed ice and exchanged it for quite a few nice throws.

Was this near Baronne St.? We witnessed the same thing.

I used to knock Rex for throwing lame beads but they've stepped it up in recent years. We got a lot of plushies from them this year, too. And their floats are probably the best of any daytime parade.

Was this near Baronne St.? We witnessed the same thing.

I used to knock Rex for throwing lame beads but they've stepped it up in recent years. We got a lot of plushies from them this year, too. And their floats are probably the best of any daytime parade.

Yes it was. We had the 2 huge towers that the kids ( and my 53 year old sister for a short time) sat in.

We really need a few parades around here just for old white guys.

Just so our friends from the north shore can come down, have a half of a wine cooler or so, and just kick back without having to worry about the excessive immigrant population in Metairie, the roving bandits of Popeyes thieves, or any of those gosh darn college kids drinking bud light.

You know, like the good old days.

Count me in!

I have a hard time dealing with parade crowds now that i have a kid and dont drink out there so we usually just grease someone and get into the stands near Gallier Hall. Fun is had by all. Also, Marriott was a cluster this year for sure. Only one entrance open and cars blocking Canal waiting to be parked. They shouldn't have sold that big area to the tourist trap and maybe things would flow easier.

You have to build a "fort". Lounge around before the crowd gets thick. Then tighten up your area strategically to prevent people walking through your space. Getting next to a ladder helps..Bring rolling ice chests that you stand on in case a tall person gets in front...
Make friends thru conversation with the people around you, hand out a few beers or soft drinks.....people will cooperate and help out.....

You have to build a "fort". Lounge around before the crowd gets thick. Then tighten up your area strategically to prevent people walking through your space. Getting next to a ladder helps..Bring rolling ice chests that you stand on in case a tall person gets in front...
Make friends thru conversation with the people around you, hand out a few beers or soft drinks.....people will cooperate and help out.....

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Have never been to Mardi Gras and I'm dying to go one year. Luckily, my cousin is a member of the Muses and she goes every year and rides the float. I'm 41 but some day, I'll make it.....

Have never been to Mardi Gras and I'm dying to go one year. Luckily, my cousin is a member of the Muses and she goes every year and rides the float. I'm 41 but some day, I'll make it.....

you'll have a blast. My sister rides in it and I have to say that it can best all but the elite of the men's parades. It is never too early to start planning.

you'll have a blast. My sister rides in it and I have to say that it can best all but the elite of the men's parades. It is never too early to start planning.
Have fun loading her float. Complete cluster. Muses, as an organization is unimpressive and, in fact, disappointing. Their members deserve a whole lot more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom