My Nightmare Mardi Gras (A Long Rant) (1 Viewer)

The NOLA cops are notorious for writing parking tickets for even borderline infractions.

NOPD doesn't write parking tickets, and parking against traffic, while usually only enforced in high-patrol situations, is no more a borderline infraction than other violations. We get tickets during Endymion for parking in our own driveway and "blocking the (nonexistent) sidewalk". I've fought them, but it's important to know what the rules are.

Try NorthShore for Mardi Gras. No drunkin frat boys, No territories, just good family fun.

Try NorthShore for Mardi Gras. No drunkin frat boys, No territories, just good family fun.

Not really familiar with the area. Hell I'm not familiar with Nola barely at all. Most of my "knowledge" comes from me staring into the glow of Google Maps.

meh. some of the drunken college kids ive ended up around are among the most hospitable and fun. some will be a pain to be around, and some will be the first to help kids get throws.

if you dont have a big set up yourself, being flexible and rolling with the mood of the crowd is likely the best bet. find some nice folks to hang around and avoid the obnoxious ones. its not terribly hard to do, but i guess with a little one along it can be more difficult.

Not really familiar with the area. Hell I'm not familiar with Nola barely at all. Most of my "knowledge" comes from me staring into the glow of Google Maps.

you ever thought of attending Sat/Sun parades in a stand on St. Charles? The cost is like $20 per person and your off the street.

We've done this for 3 years ( by Lafayette Hotel on St. Charles ) and have had a blast each year.

With regards to the OP, I, too am sorry you had a bad time. As you get closer to MG weekend (and Monday and Tuesday), you almost need a local guide to navigate traffic and closings.

A couple of notes on your experience (20/20 hindsight and all that, but still):

You will never get in the Quarter by car after about 4PM Thursday, most of the day Friday, and at all Sat-Tues. The hotel probably should have warned you.

Napoleon used to be the hidden gem for viewing parades, but it seems that most of the uptown crowd is moving that direction from St Charles. It has gotten ridiculous. Best thing to do up there is to stay sidewalk-side. Usually ladders have to be set back, or can't set up due to tree roots, and people on foot have a fighting chance.

Otherwise, there is a lot of space on St Charles - stay away from the bigger intersections (napoleon, Louisiana, jackson, etc), as there are bars and crowds there. Another very uncrowded space is downtown - from Lee Circle to Poydras. It can be tricky to navigate around the grandstands, but you can find space down there where you won't be bothered (easier parking, too).

Mardi Gras can be challenging if you're not familiar with the streets and the crowds. Best thing is to find someone that knows the ropes until you get the hang of it.

making a few trips down to enjoy the city and get your bearings might help. bring the little one down to the insectarium and aquarium and such some time.

familiarity will be your friend.

you ever thought of attending Sat/Sun parades in a stand on St. Charles? The cost is like $20 per person and your off the street.

We've done this for 3 years ( by Lafayette Hotel on St. Charles ) and have had a blast each year.

Thought about it, yes, but always looked too expensive. But to be honest I'd throw down $60 to NOT have to deal with that crap again, so I will definitely consider it for next year.

meh. some of the drunken college kids ive ended up around are among the most hospitable and fun. some will be a pain to be around, and some will be the first to help kids get throws.

if you dont have a big set up yourself, being flexible and rolling with the mood of the crowd is likely the best bet. find some nice folks to hang around and avoid the obnoxious ones. its not terribly hard to do, but i guess with a little one along it can be more difficult.

Not everyone can say the same. Look at what happened to that girl at the muses parade last year.

Wow thanks for all the replies! I'll try to tackle a couple points...

Yeah I'm learning to like the humble out-of-town parades more and more. A small, quiet parade in Mandeville, Baton Rouge, or Lafayette has its perks. Plus a 3 y/o couldn't care less about which parade they're seeing.

I tried to "man up" as best I could, but a white nerdy guy vs. a group of 5 drunks just doesn't put the hand in my favor. I asked several people to move contantly but was just told to piss off.

The Canal Street thing ... yeah. My fault. I learned my lesson.

When I asked the cop for his badge number, he said "f- you." I posted about it on the Nola Police Facebook page twice and they removed both posts. Go figure.

Agreed in the future we will look for day parades and Metairie.

I have no regrets. I learned a lot and I will learn more each year. It won't get me down (er, except for Nola night parades which I'm pretty much done with).

The last 10 years before this we had always viewed the Sunday parades St. Charles at Girod just before Gallier Hall. It had progressively become worse and worse until finally last year some overzealous lady knocked over my aunt to try and grab some beads and that was it. They left and said they won't be back to Mardi Gras again, so we were left to find a spot on our own.

1. I know, I'm a dumby for even thinking I could pull it off.

2. I really don't think the hotel would have been a problem had I checked in in the morning.

3. I was prepared to pay to park; problem was there was no parking.

4. I needed more people with me - friends, family, or backup of any kind. As just a humble 3 person family we simply don't command the authority we need to hold our spot.

I'm just not willing to do all that. I don't have to go through ANY of that for the Metairie parades and, frankly, I just don't have the willpower to fight with people over something so petty. I have to disagree with your sentiments about people in the area having privledge. I don't think anyone has a right to just walk in front of kids drunk as hell, cussing up a storm, and have zero regard for the people around them. I was born and raised in Nola; just because I'm not there now doesn't make me a second-class parade-goer.

Where were you standing and which parades?

I'm not excusing people acting like jerks. But you do need to understand that some would argue it extremely presumptuous of you to think that with tens of thousands of people around you could wall off a personal area with a lawn chair. It is just unrealistic given your surroundings. The only way to avoid people getting in front of you is to join the flow of people and get in the front yourself. It is impossible and unreasonable to expect a free area of space in front of your chair. I absolutely do not think of you as a second class parade goer. But there's a flow to things that you should follow for a good experience. Expectations of having your own space that isn't infringed upon will only end in disappointment. Mardi Gras in New Orleans simply cannot accommodate that. There are too many people and the lawn furniture only adds to the sensation of overcrowding.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

The territories and frat boy getting drunk will end bad eventually on the parade route. Look at what happened in the QTR already.

Thought about it, yes, but always looked too expensive. But to be honest I'd throw down $60 to NOT have to deal with that crap again, so I will definitely consider it for next year.

try it next year.

You will not be disappointed. They split it up for day/night tho ( we stay only for day until kids get a bit older for Endymion and Bacchus ) But trust me when I tell you that Sunday, between Okeanos, MidCity and Thoth, its MORE than enough for the little one.

Music is great, bands are great and the atmosphere is great.

We parked by Rouses and were out within 10 min after parade passed. No traffic, no hot heads...I think you will enjoy it much more that way.

Not everyone can say the same. Look at what happened to that girl at the muses parade last year.

yes, and there are probably a hundred other idiots to avoid, even on the north shore - but in general i wouldnt beat up the entire route and thousands of good people on it because of that girl.

ive been around my share of idiots at mardi gras and it transcends age, gender, race.... they come in all shapes and sizes. once upon a time i was one of those drunken frat boys and the group i was with was among the first to offer a family some food or space and the kids around certainly got the cool throws i laid my hands on.

be good people, try to be around good people, bad people end up around you and you move on down the road... and mardi gras is a great experience.

This is exactly why I haven't attended a parade since I was about 15 years. The last one I attended was in the Houma/thidedeoux area. Even that wasn't any fun. Thats just me. Every Mardi Gras I hope that all my friends that like the parades have a good time. I would rather get a movie, etc to enjoy my time. Its more fun to me.

The territories and frat boy getting drunk will end bad eventually on the parade route. Look at what happened in the QTR already.

I don't think that was a "frat boy" that caused the issue in the quarter.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/02/nopd_releases_photo_of_person_1.html#incart_river_default

Unless this guy belongs to some frat that no one really heard of.....

bourbon-street-person-interest-2jpg-332a08ef12557cc8.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom