My Nightmare Mardi Gras (A Long Rant) (3 Viewers)

This is exactly why I haven't attended a parade since I was about 15 years. The last one I attended was in the Houma/thidedeoux area. Even that wasn't any fun. Thats just me. Every Mardi Gras I hope that all my friends that like the parades have a good time. I would rather get a movie, etc to enjoy my time. Its more fun to me.

i Haven't attended once since high school. after 4 years of marching in the parades in the band, the idea of standing around for hours on end and dealing with the crowds just wasn't that appealing.

if i were to come back for it, i'd just hand out and watch the freak show in the quarter. most of the time though, i'd rather spending the money on traveling for a saints game in the fall.

i Haven't attended once since high school. after 4 years of marching in the parades in the band, the idea of standing around for hours on end and dealing with the crowds just wasn't that appealing.

if i were to come back for it, i'd just hand out and watch the freak show in the quarter. most of the time though, i'd rather spending the money on traveling for a saints game in the fall.

For me its the crowds....plus my thought process is why stand around for several hours to catch some beeds that will untimately be put in a closet because besides the catching part there we be no other use for them. Some will say, you can also look at the cool float designs. I can get that from pictures in the paper, etc. Plus from my friends that do like the parades.

This is why I don't do Mardigras anymore, societal decay. I remember about 6 years ago, me and some friends went down where sidelines is now on vets, past Bonnabel(we were across on the neutral ground). We were set up by 7am, ice chest, chairs in good spots, had food, beer, we had a box of popeyes chicken. Some woman who was extremely tatted up. trashy as hell tried to steal our box of chicken. She said it point blank where me and all my friends heard her "When more people show up, I'm gonna take that box of chicken"

I moved it, I put it in the sandwich tray inside of our icechest, this dumb woman opens our icechest and my brothers friend yells at her when he see's her doing it. The woman curses my friend out in Spanish, she was quite obese with like 5 children.

People were pushing this other family group next to us out of the way as the parade got near, they were cursing the father out in front of his kids. That obese Spanish woman was pushing people out of the way.

It was just an awful experience, I haven't done Mardigras since. People are so rude, act disgusting, I just feel sorry Kids these days don't get to see the parades like I once did. People had a lot more respect back then.

For me its the crowds....plus my thought process is why stand around for several hours to catch some beeds that will untimately be put in a closet because besides the catching part there we be no other use for them. Some will say, you can also look at the cool float designs. I can get that from pictures in the paper, etc. Plus from my friends that do like the parades.

Exactly, Agree! Marking off your terrtiory for plastic beads & cups etc.Really people?

Sorry for the hassle.

Given your story, my suggestion would be to come in for the first weekend of parades (Sparta, Carrollton, etc.). Crowds are much smaller - you're just about guaranteed to have some elbow room - and you'll see many of the same bands, etc., that you would see in the bigger parades the following weekend.

You also might want to bring a step-ladder - its a pain to lug a full size ladder from BR but a step ladder will at least help you keep some control of "your" spot, and also help you catch a few more beads.

We were set up by 7am, ice chest, chairs in good spots, had food, beer, we had a box of popeyes chicken. Some woman who was extremely tatted up. trashy as hell tried to steal our box of chicken. She said it point blank where me and all my friends heard her "When more people show up, I'm gonna take that box of chicken"

I moved it, I put it in the sandwich tray inside of our icechest, this dumb woman opens our icechest and my brothers friend yells at her when he see's her doing it. The woman curses my friend out in Spanish, she was quite obese with like 5 children.

I didn't know Brennan77 had tattoes.

:hihi:

Our biggest problem was at Muses. We caught the parade at Magazine and it was going fine at first. Then the parade stops for something like 40 mins waiting to merge with the other 2 that night (Muses is the only one that rolls on that stretch in the evening). Anyway, float 3 stops right in front of us and sits. At first we think, great time to put the little one on my shoulders and catch something for her, right? Well, I didnt realize that the families of some of the float riders would come swarming in from different directions at that moment and just stick around forever. Literally, ladies looking me and my child down... only to, at the last second, realize someones family is standing right there and throw just about anything they had in that direction instead. Well, my second mistake was assuming that they'd eventually get to us too, right? About 20 mins and only 2 beads later we left disgusted with a crying child in tow. Since they threw metric efftons at all the family they saw, they didn't feel like sparing any pittance for anyone else.

As for Endmion, waiting over an hour to cross the street back to our car parked two blocks away sucked. But that's what we get for going to a downtown party before it crossed down St Charles.

I think I'm about done with uptown/downtown parades.

Yeah I'm learning to like the humble out-of-town parades more and more. A small, quiet parade in Mandeville, Baton Rouge, or Lafayette has its perks. Plus a 3 y/o couldn't care less about which parade they're seeing.

Lafayette parades are neither small or quiet. :9: But they're generally lots of fun for people of all ages. That and there usually are good places you can set up without too much crowding. I'm not ordinarily a big parade person, but I've never had a bad time at Lafayette parades.

This is why I don't do Mardigras anymore, societal decay. I remember about 6 years ago, me and some friends went down where sidelines is now on vets, past Bonnabel(we were across on the neutral ground). We were set up by 7am, ice chest, chairs in good spots, had food, beer, we had a box of popeyes chicken. Some woman who was extremely tatted up. trashy as hell tried to steal our box of chicken. She said it point blank where me and all my friends heard her "When more people show up, I'm gonna take that box of chicken"

People were pushing this other family group next to us out of the way as the parade got near, they were cursing the father out in front of his kids. That obese Spanish woman was pushing people out of the way.

It was just an awful experience, I haven't done Mardigras since. People are so rude, act disgusting, I just feel sorry Kids these days don't get to see the parades like I once did. People had a lot more respect back then.

In Metairie????

That kind of thing only happens in New Orleans!!!!!

down where sidelines is now on vets, past Bonnabel(we were across on the neutral ground). We were set up by 7am, ice chest, chairs in good spots, had food, beer, we had a box of popeyes chicken. .

Yep, I was right in that area for a couple of years - better on the sidewalk side for sure. I usually get along with everyone, but the constant screaming/cursing/drama, breaking beer bottles and what not was a shocker. Police presence had no effect. Unbelievable how that could be considered a good time by anyone. A few always wound up in cuffs by the end of the day.

And to the OP: I've found at the city parades, you need to travel light. The chairs are okay if you get there early and need a dry place to sit, but once the parade gets close, fold them up and put them way back. Go with the flow of the crowd, and find a crowd with a similar situation. Parents are usually more than happy to have other parents around to help with zone defense. :hihi: (how I survived Lombardi Gras, and my kids were older)

Yep, I was right in that area for a couple of years - better on the sidewalk side for sure. I usually get along with everyone, but the constant screaming/cursing/drama, breaking beer bottles and what not was a shocker. Police presence had no effect. Unbelievable how that could be considered a good time by anyone. A few always wound up in cuffs by the end of the day.

And to the OP: I've found at the city parades, you need to travel light. The chairs are okay if you get there early and need a dry place to sit, but once the parade gets close, fold them up and put them way back. Go with the flow of the crowd, and find a crowd with a similar situation. Parents are usually more than happy to have other parents around to help with zone defense. :hihi: (how I survived Lombardi Gras, and my kids were older)

wow - rare if ever that ive seen whats described in the first half uptown.

and to the second half - yes. if there are jerks around you, and you are mobile, move away from the jerks. arguing, claiming space, etc will not solve it. in fact, its likely going to make it worse.

Our biggest problem was at Muses. We caught the parade at Magazine and it was going fine at first. Then the parade stops for something like 40 mins waiting to merge with the other 2 that night (Muses is the only one that rolls on that stretch in the evening). Anyway, float 3 stops right in front of us and sits. At first we think, great time to put the little one on my shoulders and catch something for her, right? Well, I didnt realize that the families of some of the float riders would come swarming in from different directions at that moment and just stick around forever. Literally, ladies looking me and my child down... only to, at the last second, realize someones family is standing right there and throw just about anything they had in that direction instead. Well, my second mistake was assuming that they'd eventually get to us too, right? About 20 mins and only 2 beads later we left disgusted with a crying child in tow. Since they threw metric efftons at all the family they saw, they didn't feel like sparing any pittance for anyone else.
I think I'm about done with uptown/downtown parades.

This is almost IDENTICAL to what we went through and, ironically, we left after Float 3 as well. Some drunk chicks ran up and started getting rained on by family member then just stayed there. We didn't catch 1 thing from Muses.

and to the second half - yes. if there are jerks around you, and you are mobile, move away from the jerks. arguing, claiming space, etc will not solve it. in fact, its likely going to make it worse.

I think I may try that in the future and just move - the problem was by then (Muses) people were 15 deep and the ladders overcame everything, so even if we had moved it would have just been way behind anything. But nonetheless, lesson learned is that I need to adapt to the situation and get over the "premise" of the whole thing.

I'm calling b.s. on this one... I live in Metairie, and I would rather attend NO parades on St Charles than in some areas in Metry with my family. We were on St Charles and First for yesterday parades and had no problems....and that's after my all day and night event with riding in Endymion....so you know my condition had no room for shenanigans.

Unfortunately, when you don't know where to stand I can be a problem....

I couldnt disagree more.

Where exactly do you feel unsafe in Metairie?

I attend almost all of the Metairie parades and they are entirely safe.

On the other hand, I don't feel safe anywhere along the route in New Orleans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom