My Observations on every Defensive Position (medium) (1 Viewer)

rsonza

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
In an earlier post, I reviewed every Offensive position, so I'll attempt to do the same with the Defense. As I described earlier, it starts and ends in the trenches. If you don't have good starting caliber players in both, it doesn't matter who you have at the other positions. So when it come to Defense, if you're not getting solid push across the LOS, then your corners and LBs are exposed. Here goes again:

DL - In my opinion, our group is good, not great. Cam Jordan is solid, but needs an opposite DE to truly complement his skill set. A player like Galette without all the baggage and attitude would be ideal, but those all-around players don't fall off trees. Like what I briefly saw on Gwachem. Long, tall and fast. He just needs to play more. Tull didnt impress me, seems like he lost a step from last year. Our interior is good w Fairley, Davison, Richardon and Rankins. I feel our interior push will be significantly better and should help our DEs. Edebali seemed real good after Preseason game 1, but we haven't seen much after. To make our Defense complete, both ends need to create pressure. If we get this, our Corners and LBs can be real good.

LB - Ellerbe is a stud. Good physical LB who can cover. Too bad we don't know how to draft these guys instead of finding them as Free Agents. Hope he stays healthy all season long. Laurinaitis seems old. I hope his Experience can compensate for his Playmaking ability. Btw, is it me or does he seem "thin" for the position? Feel like we need a semi-bulky MLB, similar to how Robertson is built, but Laurinaitis seems to have an atypical build for a MLB. Anthony looks ok, so I hope he can make a good adjustment to SLB. He just needs Reps, reps, reps. Our backup LBs seem decent. Nothing flashy, but an upgrade from last year.

CB - Very obvious opposing teams will be throwing and picking on our young Corners every game until proven otherwise. Williams needs to turn around when the ball is thrown in their direction. In fact, our other corners face the same problem. I do like Williams a lot though. Confident, long arms, good speed. Just needs game experience. I like Crawley and Harris, but they're both rookies and will be tested on every play. Similar to Williams, just need game experience. Breaux will be Breaux - solid. Overall, a solid group, but let's hope we stay injury-free.

S - Solid all-around, but Vaccaro isn't necessarily the fastest or the best cover SS. Not sure it was he who blew the coverage on the WR scoring a TD, but wouldn't you prefer a Corner than Vaccaro on a WR? Byrd seems better and healthy than last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year w the team. I like Harper near or no more than 10 yds off the LOS. Solid blitzer, reliable tackler, just don't leave him in space w a fast TE. Harris seems to be a good pickup. Bell is a promising rookie Safety.

I'm pleased our D seems better than last year. The challenge is the Offense will need to be complementary to the Defense, and vice versa. If our Offense stutters and gets in several 3-and-Outs, then the D will be tired and maybe give up a lot of points, esp if our D-Line doesn't get the needed pass rush. In all, I'm trying to be optimistic on all things, but I gotta be realistic.

I was watching Edebali and he was getting eaten up play after play. Once the tackle got his hands on him he couldn't do anything. I'm still concerned about this teams ability to get to the passer and the secondaries ability to defend the pass, Breaux excluded.

No one can deny that Saints D has improved. A lot. No more "worst in history" records. Is it enough?

I think it is.

PJ will get picked on all season long because I don't think folks will test Breaux too much unless he's matched up against a guy that normally gets a ton of balls thrown his way.

Looks like we'll need to blitz in order to get any heat, and that will leave our youngins on the back-end 1 on 1. Hope they're up to the challenge.

PJ will get picked on all season long because I don't think folks will test Breaux too much unless he's matched up against a guy that normally gets a ton of balls thrown his way.

Looks like we'll need to blitz in order to get any heat, and that will leave our youngins on the back-end 1 on 1. Hope they're up to the challenge.
I feel like our Lb will be picked more than Williams. Especially if we keep giving QB all day to pass.

The 2016 defense will be a more disciplined, more aggressive version of the 2015 defense. I don't expect to see a dramatic change in performance this year. This will be no fault of Dennis Allen, who IMO is a great coach. We just don't have the talent yet. I still think we will be in the bottom half of the league in yards allowed but we will play with more effort and heart than previous years.

Kind of disappointed in the performance of James L. He looks very slow out there. Those TE's and WR seem to run past him last night. Ellerbe on the other hand is ALL OVER THE PLACE. I'm crossing my fingers he stays somewhat healthy. He makes plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom