My Observations on every Offensive Position (long) (1 Viewer)

rsonza

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
My first take is that I feel like it's going to be a long season. It starts and ends in the trenches, ie the Offensive and Defensive Lines. And those are areas we are sorely lacking in talent and execution. So here goes:

QB - Brees will be Brees, except when he has NO time to throw and when he's pressured on every play. I guess that's why SP took him out after 3 series. He would've gotten killed if he stayed until the 3Q. McCown is our backup, no question. Grayson, I'm not sold on. His throws look bad, esp the 2 INTs he threw yesterday. Anyone could've picked those off. And after watching Dak Prescott and other young QBs, one would've imagined he would be further along than current. Too early to say 3rd round bust, b/c SP will likely give him another year, but I wont be surprised if he's cut and signed to the PS. I'm just surprised our coaching evaluation of QBs other than Brees is sub-par.

OL - I hope Armstead gets better soon or is not more hurt than what Mgmt is saying. He looked REAL bad out there, w holding calls and getting beat off the line. He remains our best O-Lineman, but Armstead at 75% wont cut it against high caliber pass rushers. Lelito stinks. Enough said. After 2+ seasons, he's no better than when he first started. Then again, he's an UDFA. Kelemente, no one truly knows if he's a starting NFL guard despite playing several games last year and having mixed results against good D-Lineman, but again, he is another UDFA. Have to be realistic and admit these guys will be beat often by high caliber D-Lineman. Bottom line, we need at least 1 starting caliber Guard. Not sure if that means we trade for Leary or someone else, but it will be a VERY long season if our Guard play remains shoddy. Peat is someone who he just needs to stay in one place, esp at RG. Sure he whiffed a few times last night, but he just needs reps and I think he'll be ok. He has the body type, big and wide, but when you move him back and forth, I'm sure his head is spinning. Reps, reps and more reps. Unger will be ok. Strief is old and Father Time is catching up. You put a fast and young pass rusher against Strief, and I don't have much confidence. Didn't see much of Allen or Turner, but I heard Allen had a holding penalty and was pushed back a bit. Turner has the specs for the typical Guard, but I'm not sure he'll be any better against the true pro DL we face every week. Again, he's an UDFA for a reason. Our needs for next year's draft starts w Guard and Tackle. And probably 2 of each position.

WR - Satisfied w the group. Cooks and Snead will be good and reliable. Though w our OL, I'm not sure I'll draft either in Fantasy. Thomas has come back to Earth. Sure he'll make great catches w one hand, but I need to see more. Let's remember he's just a rookie. Didn't see Coleman much last night. That's not a good sign, b/c I am pulling for him. He has all the physical traits, but he doesn't seem hungry. I'm sure he's trade bait, hopefully for an O-Lineman, but why should a team trade for a guy that will likely be cut. Lewis makes the roster and is a fighter, but too bad he isn't 6'2+.

TE - I've said this before, but Fleener looks off. Too stiff, doesn't have much YAC. Reminds me of the very tall UDFA TE we signed several yrs ago that everyone on SR.com was claiming to be the next one. Anyway, with all of our apparent probs on the O-Line, we spend $35mm+ on a TE when we could've signed Watson for 1/3 of that and then signed a quality Guard. Maybe I miss Graham b/c he was truly the complete TE aside from his blocking, but Graham was a true playmaker and someone you had to truly gameplan for. To me, Fleener doesn't scare anyone. Maybe he's good for mismatches down the seam, but I wish we had Watson back. Solid blocker and receiver. And I hope Hooman is not seriously hurt. From what I saw, maybe an ankle or sprained knee, just hope it's not an ACL. Hill - blah, just a good ST guy.

RB - Spiller looks his normal self. Ingram is Ingram. Like the potential of Lasco. Murphy is either Hero or Goat. Good player but I don't have much confidence. Re Hightower, I love the guy, but when it comes to roster spots, maybe I cut him and sign him after Week 1. Again, if we don't have the O-Line push their guys off the LOS, then it doesn't matter who we have. Not even Fournette would get past our current OL if they continue to play like this.

I'll get to Defense in another post, but our Offense looks to have regressed from last year, esp the OL. But like I said, it starts in the trenches. If you don't have a good OL, then it wipes out all the potential at the skill positions. Lastly, I'm the biggest Saints Fan out there and I read and watch all the stuff, but I just want to be practical and realistic. And so far through 3 Preseason Games, it's obvious we're just not a good team yet. Maybe next year.

BB&G

Some of your comments have validity, but it's obvious your looking through your disappointed glasses in some cases. Everything is NOT bad.

Am I the only person who prefers Kelemente to Lelito? He wouldn't come in and make this an elite offensive line, but I've always felt he's better than Lelito.

Fleener will be fine, but never live up to his contract in the fans' eyes. He was paid a premium. I never expect much from Hill, but he's not looking like a keeper at the moment. Manhertz made a good grab.

Offensive line will improve, but don't show much promise of being good or even decent. I still don't think Leary is the answer. I really think Peat will settle in and be solid. Way too early to panic on him. I hope there is nothing major going on with Armstead's health. I never expected to see Lolito to look like Lolita. He's always been just adequate enough, and not a major liability, but not anymore.

Am I the only person who prefers Kelemente to Lelito? He wouldn't come in and make this an elite offensive line, but I've always felt he's better than Lelito.

No, you're not the only one. I remember Mike Detellier saying the same thing in one of his articles a few weeks ago.

I want to see Landon Turner with the 1's. Why haven't we seen that yet? Preseason is almost over.

No, you're not the only one. I remember Mike Detellier saying the same thing in one of his articles a few weeks ago.

I want to see Landon Turner with the 1's. Why haven't we seen that yet? Preseason is almost over.

I don't know how Landon would perform, but I agree about giving him a chance. Last night should have been when you saw this team start to throw stuff at the wall and hoping something sticks, because clearly Lelito is not the answer.

Fleener doesn't scare anyone? He was sure a ways down field and in position to make two really tough catches. Hell, he practically made the other until his head nearly got taken off.

And he looks stiff and gets no YAC? Sounds like Jimmy Graham to me. Don't let your own dislike of the signing to color your observation on every turn. Josh Hill has been on the team for a while and we aren't using him to stretch the field or splitting him out wide. I'll trust Payton on how to use a fast TE.

Fleener doesn't scare anyone? He was sure a ways down field and in position to make two really tough catches. Hell, he practically made the other until his head nearly got taken off.

And he looks stiff and gets no YAC? Sounds like Jimmy Graham to me. Don't let your own dislike of the signing to color your observation on every turn. Josh Hill has been on the team for a while and we aren't using him to stretch the field or splitting him out wide. I'll trust Payton on how to use a fast TE.

I don't dislike the signing. In fact, I thought it was a solid move at first. Seeing him these past few games doesn't WOW me. I hope I'm dead wrong though.

But you can't tell me he looks like a stud. Far from it.

That very well could be the problem. You want him to wow you. Your expectations weren't met, which isn't Fleener's fault. He's not done anything wrong, has he? Has he dropped any passes? Maybe one? I'm not even sure.

TE - I've said this before, but Fleener looks off. Too stiff, doesn't have much YAC. Reminds me of the very tall UDFA TE we signed several yrs ago that everyone on SR.com was claiming to be the next one.

You takin bout our boy, Zach Hilton?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 18
I said right after the Fleener signing that he was a body catcher, and he is. Brees does better with TEs with good hand catchers that can go high. That's not Fleener and it's not his fault. I just don't think it was a good pick up for Brees.

I actually had the opposite reaction to Fleener last night. I was disappointed with him the first two games but thought he looked dangerous last night going down the seam on those two plays.

He's light years better then Josh Hill.

I watched Fridays game on dvr and thought Klemete spelled Lelito. I watched again today and 2 things stood out. First Klemete is a good amount better than Lelito at LG. Second Turner gets push. Almost every play I watched he was pushing his guy back 2 to 3 yards and look g for the next guy to block.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom