My opinion on last night's game (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
This is a team that has been away from home for almost a month. This is a young team that is still learning how to be a pro. This is a team that helped flood victims the first day of training camp in West Virginia. This is a team that has been away from home looking at a one of the biggest natural disasters in US history back at home from the road. This is a team that knew they were going to get to go home, sleep in their own bed and see family members for the first time in a very long time. This was a team that had a very long and physical training camp.

This was a team that wasn't ready to play the game last night. It was a team that was unemotional, uninspired and it showed.

I'm willing to bet you see a different team in the Superdome for the 3rd preseason game. I'll reserve a lot of judgement.

Worst case scenario, if that is the team we get this season we will win a lot of games. Brees will figure it out and the offense will score. If that is the defense we have then we will make the playoffs.

BC, I sure hope you are right and that this was just a tired and 'ready to be home' team that had hit the mid summer wall of training camp. I was though impressed with the defense which will absolutely be improved measurably from last year. Our offense should be better with the skilled player improvements of Thomas and Fleener, but if the OL does not get more cohesive we are going to have some major problems running the ball and keeping Drew healthy. This team does not have much time to get those OL issues fixed, especially when you have to consider that one or both of our starting guards may not even be on the roster at this point in the preseason.

My man! I'll be honest.

I think we have a good team here.

A good team is not a perfect team. No team is perfect. Yeah, we've got some issues to shore up. But wait till our OL gets to play in friendly confines and can clearly hear Unger calling signals When we're able to control the tempo better. When 60,000 rambunctious Who Dats are behind our boys.

The notion that we could have a good defense is giving me such fire. We've had OL issues in the past. Nothing has changed, except now we have a 13th overall pick people can try and hold up as a sign of everything bad and horrible with our team...

I'm not worried. Not one bit.

Er...at least not yet.

I really like Lasco. He's gonna wind up getting lots of playing time.

I really like Lasco. He's gonna wind up getting lots of playing time.

I'll be honest. I think RB is one of the weakest positions on the team and the weakest unit we've had since Payton has been here. I know that wont be a popular statement but it's true.

I'll be honest. I think RB is one of the weakest positions on the team and the weakest unit we've had since Payton has been here. I know that wont be a popular statement but it's true.

BC I respectfully disagree.

With any sort of blocking Ingram has proven to be an above average back running and blocking. Spiller looks a lot different from last year. His quickness and speed is back. Hightower is our new "bulldozer" running back. Lasco/Cadet are our 3rd down backs. It's probably the #1 or #2 unit on the team.

BC I respectfully disagree.

With any sort of blocking Ingram has proven to be an above average back running and blocking. Spiller looks a lot different from last year. His quickness and speed is back. Hightower is our new "bulldozer" running back. Lasco/Cadet are our 3rd down backs. It's probably the #1 or #2 unit on the team.

Well, we have an offensive line that struggles to open holes and RB's that aren't exactly pile movers. We lack the guy that can put his head down and push the pile for a few yards when nothing is there. We are small at the position. Spiller looked better than everyone last night but he was rushing everything and looked very uncomfortable in passing situations. Hopefully he just needs some reps.

And to be fair I think we have a team that is inconsistent, especially our oline! We need that swagger back that we had before, knowing that going into each game under this Drew and Sean lead team we were going to get dominance and not question what team is going to show up, now whether that is on coaching or talent I think has yet to be determined. Whatever it is I hope it gets fixed soon, I'm ready to get that dominating team back esp on offense!!

really Peat and Coleman bothered me the most, I'm about ready to cut bait on both

It still concerns me greatly about this offensive line situation. We have two weeks of game to make it at least respectable. I am not calling what happened yesterday as a prelude to the season. But in recent years, based on our performance in preseason, it is a tell tell sign. However, I do expect us to be way better this third preseason game. I expect a better performance by our offense. But if the offense continue to play like they did this past two weeks, I would say the outcome of the season will not be bright.

This is a team we are making excuses for. That's a bad sign. Good teams don't need excuses. But I hear you. Gotta keep hope alive.

somebody from the team has been reading my comments of the forum of the past couple years...

Morstead was holding kicks last night, not McCown!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!

that's what I was most excited about. Somebody finally paying to attention that maybe the last 10 kickers all didn't stink, the holder might be to blame. Great kicking in TC when Morstead is the holder but missed kicks all year when McCown holds :scratch:

Just giving away 3 points every time he can't get the ball upright with the laces out. He fails so much, as a kicker I would just come through and kick him in the face for making me miss for so many kicks

This was a team that wasn't ready to play the game last night. It was a team that was unemotional, uninspired and it showed.

I'm willing to bet you see a different team in the Superdome for the 3rd preseason game. I'll reserve a lot of judgement.

This need to be taken in large doses by all. We can make excuses, but it would be wise to wait, read, watch and see what the coaches put together, and what takes the field in September. As hard as I was on Drew and Payton last year, they at least need the first few games to show us that they know how to win again. I'm on the record for at least giving them the first 4 games, and making sure they try and start better than the last few years.

Right now, it's just wise to watch. We don't know what the coaches are doing, who they are looking at, why they have plays, players or formations that we see in the game right now. Preseason is meant for team to get better...we have some things that need to get better, no doubt, but the real games start next month.

Not last night.

I basically see a talented team with execution problems.

Execution can be fixed, or it can be like Haslett teams and just talked about.

I just rewatched the game and focused mainly on the offensive line and Peat. He has a problem. His technique is all wrong for some reason. He has bad foot work. He has alligator arms and he doesn't appear aggressive enough. It seem as if he is embracing for impact rather than trying to block. I am sorry to say but he isn't ready. 3 years with the Lelitio experience is enough.

I know it is the reserve but I have to say the third unit played better. Their only problem is game rep and experiences. Overall if we can fixed this offensive line problem and make it a least decent, we will be ok. Hate to take one step forward and two step back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom