My Pre-FA Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

Marlboro Man

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok guys, I only did the first 10 this weekend because I need to gather more info and also if this isn't recieved well then I can just stop now and not waste anymore time. Ok, here it is. Comments are welcome.

2008 NFL DRAFT ANALASYS

1. MIAMI:
NEEDS: QB-PRIORITY- HIGH
RB- PRIORITY- MED./LOW
OL- PRIORITY- HIGH
DL- PRIORITY- HIGH
WR- PRIORITY- HIGH
LB- PRIORITY- MED.

SELECTION: Glenn Dorsey – DT – LSU
There is speculation that Parcels in Mia. Might trade the pick because the team has so many needs. While this is true, Parcels will not pass up a talent like Dorsey. Parcels won his championship with the likes of Lawrence Taylor and others on a very strong defense and I believe Parcels will start to build the Dolphins on the Defensive side of the ball and Dorsey is a talent that you can build a defense around.

2. St. LOUIS RAMS:
NEEDS: DL- PRIORITY- HIGH
OL- PRIORITY- HIGH
CB- MED.

SELECTION: Jake Long – OT- Michigan
Some analysts are predicting that the Rams will take a D-Lineman in the first round, but they have a very good young QB in Marc Bulger and Orlando Pace has had injury issues and hold outs for the last couple of years and the Rams need to protect their franchise QB in order to get to the playoffs.

3. OAKLAND RAIDERS:
NEEDS: OL- PRIORITY- HIGH/VERY HIGH
DL- PRIORITY- HIGH
WR- PRIORITY- HIGH
LB- PRIORITY- MED./HIGH
S- PRIORITY- MED./HIGH

SELECTION: Chris Long – DE – Virginia
As we can see, the Raiders have a lot of holes and it will take at least a couple of years to get this team into the thick of things in the AFC. Some have them taking McFadden at this spot, but as has been seen from previous multi faceted players, they usually don’t do well unless you put them in one position and let them develop. While McFadden is an exceptional back, there is no O-Line to speak of for him to run behind and probably won’t be for another year or so and therefore I don’t believe that Al Davis will get very much back on his investment for a while. I believe that Al Davis will try to rebuild his defense with Howie Long’s son Chris who is the top rated DE coming out this year and Al knows the pedigree.

4. ATLANTA FALCONS:
NEEDS: QB- PRIORITY- HIGH/VERY HIGH
OL- PRIORITY- HIGH
RB- PRIORITY- MED.
DT- PRIORITY- HIGH
WR- PRIORITY- HIGH/VERY HIGH

SELECTION: Matt Ryan – QB – Boston College
Arthur Blank is still smarting from the betrayal and conviction of Michael Vick and the desertion of Bobby Quit-trino. This team is rudderless and needs a franchise QB to take over the leadership of this team and give them some stability. Matt Ryan is the consensus top rated QB in this draft and even though their O-Line is in shambles, they have to start with the man at the controls. I hate to see the Falcons get this kid, but it’s a no-brainer.

5. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS:
NEEDS: OL- PRIORITY- HIGH/VERY HIGH
QB- PRIORITY- HIGH
CB- PRIORITY- MED.

SELECTION: Brian Brohm – QB – Louisville. ALTERNATE CHOICE: Sam Baker – OT – USC.
While it is a fact that KC’s O-Line could be brought up on murder charges for getting QB’s killed, the fact remains that they haven’t effectively replaced Trent Green and I for one don’t believe that Brody Croyle is the answer. As much as KC will want to upgrade their porous O-Line to protect Croyle or whoever, with Sam Baker, I don’t think they can pass on Brian Brohm who is considered a toss up with Matt Ryan.

6. NEW YORK JETS:
LB- PRIORITY- MED.
OL- PRIORITY- HIGH
WR- PRIORITY- HIGH

SELECTION: Keith Rivers – OLB – USC
While I believe I could make a case for the Jets taking a QB, regardless of their needs list, I also know that they need to get better on defense. With the possible loss of Jonathan Vilma via FA or trade and also his supposed not fitting into their defensive scheme, I think the logical choice for their scheme is Keith Rivers who will be a playmaker in their system.

7. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS:
NEEDS: LB- HIGH
CB- HIGH
WR- MED./HIGH

SELECTION: James Laurinaitis – MLB – OSU
With the aging of their LB corps and the possible retirement or release of Teddy Bruschi, the Pats will look to infuse some youth and talent to this area of their team. Admittedly, they will have trouble keeping their WR corps together, but defense wins championships and though I would really like to get Laurinaitis in a Saints uniform, the NFL not taking the Pats highest draft choice away once again screws us.

8. BALTIMORE RAVENS:
NEEDS: QB- PRIORITY- HIGH
CB- PRIORITY- MED./HIGH
OLB- PRIORITY- HIGH

SELECTION: Andre Woodson – QB – Kentucky
It’s very strange to see so many teams in the top 10, that need so few holes filled on their respective teams. With that said, I agree that McNair is at the end of his career and as most head coaches will tell you, you start building your team at the QB position. Now that Billick has been fired, the new head coach will want to start building his team with his players and Andre Woodson has all the intangibles to become a fine starting QB for the Ravens.

9. CINNCINATI BENGALS:
LB- PRIORITY- HIGH
OL- PRIORITY- HIGH

SELECTION: Sam Baker – OT – USC. ALTERNATE CHOICE: Sedric Ellis
While a case can be made for the Bengals to take Sedric Ellis with this choice, they have a very dangerous WR corps but need to protect the QB better to take advantage of them. This will be a tough choice for the Bengals between these two players and possibly Dan Conner.

10. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS:
NEEDS: LB- PRIORITY- HIGH/VERY HIGH
CB- PRIORITY- VERY HIGH
OL- PRIORITY- MED.
DT- PRIORITY- VERY HIGH
TE- PRIORITY- MED.

SELECTION: Sedric Ellis – DT – USC ALTERNATIVE CHOICES: Kenny Phillips – S – Miami, Malcolm Jenkins – CB – OSU, Mike Jenkins – CB – USF, or Dan Conner – LB – Penn State.
Another very difficult choice and I must add here that I am partial to drafting Ellis at this spot because an improved D-Line and pass rush will definitely help the secondary and I believe the Saints will address that position in FA. I didn’t use this line of thought on the other teams because I will revise this draft after FA if anyone wants me to but it very well may be that subconsciously I arranged for Sedric Ellis to be available at this spot too. As you can see, the Saints can go in a lot of directions and that makes this choice even more difficult.

I have done the first 10 draft predictions this weekend and will do 10 more next weekend if anyone wants me to continue. As always, peoples opinions will differ and I’d like to hear yours.

Last edited:
I would do a walter-thomas-backflip if we landed Ellis

Once again? How did it screw the Saints at all?

That said, All of those picks are logical and could be how it shakes out, I like it.

If commissioner Goodell wanted to really punish the Pats for cheating, then he should have taken away their highest first round pick if they made the playoffs and whatever it was that they were to be penalized if they missed the playoffs.

With the Pats making the playoffs and only losing a very late first round pick, I don't see where it impacts their team as much as what they did impacted other teams and the Pats record.

Anyway, not trying to be anti Pats, but I know that I would like to get an impact MLB like Lauriniatus and once again we will miss out like we did with Hawk by taking Bush (not complaining) and Patrick Willis last year and if you remember D. J. Williams taken by the Broncos who jumped ahead of us in 05 I believe. That's what I meant by us getting screwed again.

If commissioner Goodell wanted to really punish the Pats for cheating, then he should have taken away their highest first round pick if they made the playoffs and whatever it was that they were to be penalized if they missed the playoffs.

With the Pats making the playoffs and only losing a very late first round pick, I don't see where it impacts their team as much as what they did impacted other teams and the Pats record.

Anyway, not trying to be anti Pats, but I know that I would like to get an impact MLB like Lauriniatus and once again we will miss out like we did with Hawk by taking Bush (not complaining) and Patrick Willis last year and if you remember D. J. Williams taken by the Broncos who jumped ahead of us in 05 I believe. That's what I meant by us getting screwed again.

The Broncos and Pats doing business well isn't "screwing" the Saints, you have NO IDEA how badly anything the Patriots did affected another team and therefore have no basis for that statement and you don't see how it impacts their team? If they get the 32nd pick Logan Mankins was a 32nd pick and he's an all pro guard, Ben Watson was a 32nd pick, that pick means a lot. The Patriots received an unprecedented penalty, just because they had two picks doesn't mean that San Frans pick should be taken away (which basically nullifies a trade) nor should the Pats be further penalized because they had a good season and the Niners had a crap one.

Just don't see the Jets taking an LB the guy out of Michigan is doing great in place of Vilma. I think they will go QB or RB and the DE out of Ohio State

Keith Rivers at 6? I love Rivers, but I don't see him going at #6. He's an OLB, way too undersized to play outside in a 3-4 and it doesn't make sense to draft him to play inside for 2 more reasons: David Harris is sensational and Laurinaitis is still on the board.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see Matt Ryan go to Miami.

Last edited:
Not sure whether two quarterbacks will go so early, though I would love to see it.

Rivers is not a top 10 pick.

McFadden is a top 5 pick.

Patrick Willis was picked 11th and we picked 27th. I can understand about complaining about not picking Hawk, and maybe Williams, but we weren't even CLOSE to being in position to pick Willis. It would have been nearly impossible for Willis to fall to us or us to trade high enough to get him. That's what happens when you make the playoffs.

NOW. If you want to make the case that we should have picked a LB at 27, then you would have had to deal with "reach" criticisms. If we had picked Paul Posluszny everyone would have been upset when he went down with a broken arm. So it's a no win for the Saints. Let's just hope for a game changing MLB or DT to fall to us at 10...

EDIT: Forgot to say, thanks for putting the time in to do that analysis. I found out how much time it takes when I did my draft stuff and did the "Future History" series. Thanks for posting your work. Love seeing it! :) :)

Last edited:
If we pick up DeAngelo Hall for cheap, which I think we can and get mybe a Vilma or Suggs also I think we go after Sellis or Phillips in the draft first.

If we pick up DeAngelo Hall for cheap, which I think we can and get mybe a Vilma or Suggs also I think we go after Sellis or Phillips in the draft first.

You honestly think the Falcons would trade Hall to a division rival?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom