My Projected Top Four (1 Viewer)

They better not, that would be bad, bad, bad for the NCAA.

They really should go to 8 teams. Heck even 12 would be feasible.

Cant believe im going to say this but after the end of the ACC game and watching sports shows after the game I have a bad feeling Washington will get the shaft.

I Washington gets left out, it's time to go back to the drawing board.....or do away with conference championship games. But, I agree, the Huskies have a chance to be left out of this thing....

IMO, you MUST go to an 8 team playoff. You don't have to expand any more than that. You get automatic bids if you win your conference (Power 5 - regardless of wins & losses) and you have 3 at large bids. Some worthy teams will still be left out on any given year, but it won't be to the level that is possible with the current system.

I really do not like the subjectivity that is now in play. The computers were totally unbiased. I don't think that is the case with the current format.

I just don't see how it's possible to leave UW out.

They have 5 top 25 wins and won their conference with only 1 loss.

How does PSU with 2 losses OR tOSU who didn't win their conference get in over them?

I think UW has to be in and then you swallow your medicine on PSU/tOSU and choose between them.

I just don't see how it's possible to leave UW out.

They have 5 top 25 wins and won their conference with only 1 loss.

How does PSU with 2 losses OR tOSU who didn't win their conference get in over them?

I think UW has to be in and then you swallow your medicine on PSU/tOSU and choose between them.

and Penn State won on the field...

I'll guess Bama, Ohio State, Clemson and Washington.

Going to four games was never going to eliminate controversy. There will almost every year be an argument that the fifth or sixth ranked team should go in.

This year I think fans of either Penn State or Wahington will be furious. It is inevitable. There is a strong argument Penn State should get in over Ohio State.

The argument that being a conference champ should be a prerequisite to getting in would have worked out okay this year. But what if Floruda had won? Would anyone seriously argue their body of work is remotely better than what Bama did this year? Beating a team head up doesn't make you the better team. I don't think Florida is a better team than LSU.

So if I were on the committee and asked if a one loss Ohio State team is better than a one loss Penn State team I would have to say no. I don't think Penn State is better than Michigan, but losses do count and a two loss team should not go this year.

So for those who think being a conference champ is a prerequisite, would you have put in Florida over Alabama had Florida won? I think the SEC conf championship game this year is a perfect example of why the committee should be allowed flexibility. Dies anyone think Penn State would have a better chance of beating Bama than Ohio State?

All that being said, I completely get the argument that it looks absurd to put in a one loss Ohio State team over a one loss Penn State team who beat Ohio State and win the conference. I am fine with a committe decision that puts Penn State in this year and leaves out Ohio State. I expect it will be a spirited debate.

I think the question those who want to take the discretion away from the committee is would you have thought Florida should be ranked over Bama if Florida had fluked out a win over Bama.

It would have been fair in the sense it got decided on the field if that happened. It would have been unfair in the sense that Bama had th e better resume. I think Ohio State was better overall than Penn State this year, but certainly not in the way Bama was better than Florida.

I think the committee has to put PSU, UW in along with Bama and Clemson. They all did what they had to do and won their conferences and CCGs. Not only that, but PSU beat tOSU heads up, so I have a hard time leaving them out over tOSU. I'm with BobE who said tOSU shouldn't have been ranked 2nd to begin with. I would have had them 4th behind Bama, Clemson and UW. It gonna be tough for the committee to drop tOSU from 2nd to 5th without them playing a game. If they had been ranked 4th to begin with, dropping them one spot wouldn't be as big a deal.

It's all a SHAM!

This all a ruse just to get to an EIGHT TEAM playoff.

They used one criteria for excuses to get OSU in.

They used another criteria for excuses to get UW in.

And they used yet another criteria to keep PSU out!

Basically, Conference Championships don't mean squat in the final analysis - well, except for UW, that is.

Nor does head to head and actual play on the field and SOS.

What a joke!

The committee needs to DEFINE the criteria AHEAD OF TIME of what they consider to be the road to the Championship and then apply that EQUALLY to ALL teams and not jump through hoops to make excuses to get the "Favorite Teams in" read "What will garner the most $$$$ in the end."

I'll guess Bama, Ohio State, Clemson and Washington.

Going to four games was never going to eliminate controversy. There will almost every year be an argument that the fifth or sixth ranked team should go in.

This year I think fans of either Penn State or Wahington will be furious. It is inevitable. There is a strong argument Penn State should get in over Ohio State.

The argument that being a conference champ should be a prerequisite to getting in would have worked out okay this year. But what if Floruda had won? Would anyone seriously argue their body of work is remotely better than what Bama did this year? Beating a team head up doesn't make you the better team. I don't think Florida is a better team than LSU.

So if I were on the committee and asked if a one loss Ohio State team is better than a one loss Penn State team I would have to say no. I don't think Penn State is better than Michigan, but losses do count and a two loss team should not go this year.

So for those who think being a conference champ is a prerequisite, would you have put in Florida over Alabama had Florida won? I think the SEC conf championship game this year is a perfect example of why the committee should be allowed flexibility. Dies anyone think Penn State would have a better chance of beating Bama than Ohio State?

All that being said, I completely get the argument that it looks absurd to put in a one loss Ohio State team over a one loss Penn State team who beat Ohio State and win the conference. I am fine with a committe decision that puts Penn State in this year and leaves out Ohio State. I expect it will be a spirited debate.

I think the question those who want to take the discretion away from the committee is would you have thought Florida should be ranked over Bama if Florida had fluked out a win over Bama.

It would have been fair in the sense it got decided on the field if that happened. It would have been unfair in the sense that Bama had th e better resume. I think Ohio State was better overall than Penn State this year, but certainly not in the way Bama was better than Florida.

So...

what if FL had beat Bama on the field during the Regular Season and then beat say Auburn or LSU in the SEC Champ game (assuming they had beaten Bama out of the Division similar to OSU and PSU), wouldn't that be more in line with what PSU accomplished?

And, then yes, FL would be quite deserving on being chosen over Bama.

Beauty pageant for blue blood programs.
The ones with the most money get in.
Only problem is a blue blood is gonna get screwed.
Let the complaining commence come Tuesday.
A couple schools are gonna be ticked off.
8 team playoff or bust.

If at the beginning of this season, I told you that Penn State would beat tOSU head-to-head, win the Big 10 CG and still not make it into the CFP, you would have called me crazy. If I had told you that tOSU would make it instead, you'd have voted for me for President.

The purpose of the playoffs is to take opinion out of crowning a champion. It shouldn't matter what someone thinks about a team or some "eye ball" test unless it's between two teams who never played. In this case, we have a head-to-head matchup which Penn State won. Should UF be in if they beat Bama? Not necessarily, but Bama the argument should at least be made that shouldn't be in either.

If at the beginning of this season, I told you that Penn State would beat tOSU head-to-head, win the Big 10 CG and still not make it into the CFP, you would have called me crazy. If I had told you that tOSU would make it instead, you'd have voted for me for President.

The purpose of the playoffs is to take opinion out of crowning a champion. It shouldn't matter what someone thinks about a team or some "eye ball" test unless it's between two teams who never played. In this case, we have a head-to-head matchup which Penn State won. Should UF be in if they beat Bama? Not necessarily, but Bama the argument should at least be made that shouldn't be in either.

Welp, PSU is the odd man out. Travesty of justice IMO.

I really, really hope PSU clobbers USC.

1891b3e3e2199170ad3a7250c5641c84.jpg

Slipping up in one game shouldn't disqualify Ohio State. Penn State is a very good team, but Penn got lucky to beat Wisconsin with some crazy bombs, got trounced by Michigan, and lost to Pittsburgh. If Wisconsin had played slightly smarter prevent style defense, Penn would've lost handily. Ohio State only has one 3 point loss to Penn State, and has looked solid all season except for the Michigan State 1 point win. No way should a team with one minor 3 point loss blemish to a very good team be taken out of the playoffs in favor of a team with 2 huge blemishes such as the trouncing by Michigan and a loss to a very average Pittsburg team. Penn may actually be playing better than Ohio State at the end of the season, but those were bad losses. Penn had to trounce Wisconsin with solid and replicatable plays to get in, but they just won with hail mary type plays. Penn's style of play is boom or bust, but against the best teams, they would go bust. Ohio State has a much better chance of beating the elite teams with their style of play, so I think they deserve to be in over Penn State.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom