Reaction score
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Penn State

At the doorsteps waiting
5. Wisconsin
6. Washington

I'd put a one loss Washington team in before a 2 loss Penn St. team,but that's just my opinion.

I'd put a one loss Washington team in before a 2 loss Penn St. team,but that's just my opinion.

Me too. Even though Washington doesn't have the SOS of Penn State, IIRC, they've won the games they needed to win with just one hiccup along the way.

Funny thing is, it's almost like the playoffs are just a showcase of teams to eventually get undressed by Alabama in the championship game.

Me too. Even though Washington doesn't have the SOS of Penn State, IIRC, they've won the games they needed to win with just one hiccup along the way.

Funny thing is, it's almost like the playoffs are just a showcase of teams to eventually get undressed by Alabama in the championship game.

That was said in 2014 as well...didn't work out did it??

Until the games are played, you don't know...

So OSU is getting in without winning its conference championship?

This will be the toughest decision for the committee. I think most college fans, certainly not all, think Michigan and Ohio State are better than Penn State and Wisconsin.

Ohio State has one loss, the other three two losses, so that favors Ohio State. But Ohio State lost to Penn State. They sure want Wisconsin to win the Big 10- at least then Ohio State has the argument it had a tougher schedule than Wisconsin and beat Wisconsin. Putting Ohio State in over Penn State, if Penn State wins the conference championship, will be the most controversial decision the committee ever made.

I think part of it has to do with reputation, which the committee is not supposed to consider. In general, in recent years, Ohio State and Michigan have the better pedigree. That should not matter, but it usually does.

Now in fairness to the committee, I think Ohio State is better than Wisconsin or Penn State.

I assume being a Michigan fan, had Michigan beat OSU, you would be supporting Michigan going to the final four. By the same logic, would not you put OSU in?

It is a tough call. It reminds me of when Alabama got the rematch with LSU. I did not think that was fair, but if the real criteria was to put the best two teams in, they got it right.

The committee is not bound by conf championships, but they carry great weight.

I will say this. If a one loss Penn State or a one loss Wisconsin was out of conf championship, which was won by a two loss OSU or Michigan, I bet the conf champ would have gone.

It will be very controversial. A blowout win by Penn State over Wisconsin might get them in.

If Penn State wins the BIG and doesn't get in the playoff while OSU gets in, then conferences should get rid of conference championship games. They are effectively meaningless for the purposes of the playoff.

I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that OSU is better than PSU.

OSU has played several games this year where they didn't look like a top 4 team. PSU beat them straight up as well. If PSU wins the Big 10, they should be in.

Washington and PSU should be in if they win their conferences. OSU shouldn't of screwed around and not won their conference. Better luck next year.

So OSU is getting in without winning its conference championship?

Kinda like when LSU had to play BAMA for the NC in 2011 while having to win the SECCG to get in while Alabama got in sitting at home? And after beating Bama at Bama in the regular season?

Yeah, it sucks. It's almost like the CG's can be more detrimental than good for teams heading into the playoff selection in some cases.

If Alabama fumbles a bunch and loses to Florida, would you put Florida in over Alabama just because they won conf championship and beat Bama?

Or is a conf championship something that should be given great weight but not be the end all?

Be all, end all? No. Florida shouldn't make it if they beat Alabama, for example.

But if we do give it "great weight," then it should be weighty enough to overcome a single game difference in the loss column when one team wins the conference and the other doesn't. Further making the case is that PSU beat OSU straight up. Had that not happened, then I'd really see the case for OSU. But it did happen.

If PSU wins their conf champ, I don't see how they don't get in. It's gonna suck for OSU, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Way I see it, it should be Bama, PSU or OSU, Wazzu and Clemson.

I think Clemson is the weakest team in the top 6. I don't care for them and if it were up to me, I'd put PSU and OSU along with Washington and Bammer and leave out Clemson. I know Clemson has only one loss, but that one loss was to Pitt and the nearly lost to Louisville, who has fallen back to earth after losing to Kentucky. Their most impressive win was a FSU 37-34 victory. Needed a 17-7 4th quarter to win that. I'm just not impressed at all with their schedule.

Their last 5 games are teams not close to sniffing the top 25. But eh, because they only have 1 loss, they'll get in the CFP.

It sucks for Michigan cuz I think they got jobbed in the game with tOSU. I don't see any way they can get back into contention with both OSU and Michigan missing the Conference CG.

Be all, end all? No. Florida shouldn't make it if they beat Alabama, for example.

But if we do give it "great weight," then it should be weighty enough to overcome a single game difference in the loss column when one team wins the conference and the other doesn't. Further making the case is that PSU beat OSU straight up. Had that not happened, then I'd really see the case for OSU. But it did happen.

Agreed. Once again, this analogy with Florida (instead of Michigan) doesn't work. Florida will have more losses, and everyone who watches college football knows Bama is one of the most dominant teams.

PSU beat OSU. If PSU wins the BIG 10 you have to put PSU in over OSU, otherwise, do as another poster mentioned and do away with conference championships, because they arent worth ****.

If Penn State wins the BIG and doesn't get in the playoff while OSU gets in, then conferences should get rid of conference championship games. They are effectively meaningless for the purposes of the playoff.
Agreed. Otherwise, what's the point if ultimately you're over-ruled by the opinion of people like Condaleeza Rice in a room who select whomever they want based on the criteria of the "eye ball" test?

This is exactly why the BCS was created.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom