My Saints 7 round mock (1 Viewer)

I hate talking about next season now but I just saw Kearse is a free agent next year, I could see Gregg bringing him.

Good point on Kearse, I never even thought about him. Sign him for a one or two year deal and cut Grant, save 7 million in the process.

I still think we draft a DE in one of the first two rounds, develop him behind Kearse for the first year.

Also we need to add another OLB either through the draft or FA, probably SLB. We have so many options at WLB with Shanle, Dunbar, Casillas, and Arnoux. Not saying we will pass up on a better WLB prospect for an inferior SLB but if all things are equal.

I can see us moving Hargrove full time to the 3-tech spot and form a 3 man rotation at DT between Ellis, Hargrove, and Clancy. I think we will probably add another DT into that group since Clancy is getting older and we should start grooming a DT under him soon.

The TE and RB position is one of the most overrated positions on this team in terms of draft predictions. As long as Shockey can stay healthy we won't invest a high pick on a TE with so many other needs and don't forget we just traded for Dave Thomas who is looking like a legit backup tight end. I can see us adding a blocking tight end in either FA or later in the draft. As for the RB position Bell has been having a ton of success and it seems like everyone wants to replace him. Payton loves Bell and I think this coaching staff will be more than happy with a RB corp of Bush-Bell-Thomas.

I know it's way too early,but I got bored

You do know we'll be picking 32nd, right? :mwink:

Actually I like this talk... I'm wanting to follow the college game a little closer, and am interested to hear who the early 'hot prospects' are.

Prepare to be flamed... Most people around here are gonna give you grief for talking next year's draft when we're 2-0, but I'm a draft-geek and I love it.

I love the 'Spoon pick in the 1st, but I don't think he'll make it to our pick... Dude's a BEAST!

If Jenkins moves to FS, what becomes of Usama? You think Young could move to SS if Harper leaves via FA after this season?

Anyways, I'm gonna throw you some rep points for the super-early draft talk. :9:

It's just silly because players that are listed in the top 10 right now won't get picked until the third round or after. Happens every year.

I don't mind talking draft this early, but mock drafts with cetain players listed is kind of premature.

Good point on Kearse, I never even thought about him. Sign him for a one or two year deal and cut Grant, save 7 million in the process.

I still think we draft a DE in one of the first two rounds, develop him behind Kearse for the first year.

Also we need to add another OLB either through the draft or FA, probably SLB. We have so many options at WLB with Shanle, Dunbar, Casillas, and Arnoux. Not saying we will pass up on a better WLB prospect for an inferior SLB but if all things are equal.

I can see us moving Hargrove full time to the 3-tech spot and form a 3 man rotation at DT between Ellis, Hargrove, and Clancy. I think we will probably add another DT into that group since Clancy is getting older and we should start grooming a DT under him soon.

The TE and RB position is one of the most overrated positions on this team in terms of draft predictions. As long as Shockey can stay healthy we won't invest a high pick on a TE with so many other needs and don't forget we just traded for Dave Thomas who is looking like a legit backup tight end. I can see us adding a blocking tight end in either FA or later in the draft. As for the RB position Bell has been having a ton of success and it seems like everyone wants to replace him. Payton loves Bell and I think this coaching staff will be more than happy with a RB corp of Bush-Bell-Thomas.

i think that kearse is finished. he hasn't had more than 3 1/2 sacks in four years.

having gresham and shockey would be a night mare for any team to cover.

defenses get better in the offseason and don't just stand pat. it's like they always say "if you don't get better, you get worse." our offense needs to always stay one step ahead. you must keep improving no matter what.

just like at kicker.

who wants to get rid of bell? what wrong with adding a 7th round rb to compete with hamilton, hill and donaldson? pierre is also a free agent in 2010.

Last edited:

1. Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
2. Patrick Robinson,CB, Florida St.-I think Jenkins will be moved to FS
3. D'Anthony Smith, DT, Louisiana Tech
4. Christian Anthony, DE, Grambling
5. Thomas Welch, T, Vandebilt
6. Chris Hall, C, Texas
7. Jeff Byers, G, USC
Highly doubt yall go for a corner in the 2nd rd. Yalls biggest weakness aint your secondary its your pass rush. I imagine yall will address that with one of your first 2 picks. I can see yall going DE then OLB or vice versa.

i think that kearse is finished. he hasn't had more than 4 sacks in 3 1/2 sacks in four years.

having gresham and shockey would be a night mare for any team to cover.

defenses get better in the offseason and don't just stand pat. it's like they always say "if you don't get better, you get worse." our offense needs to always stay one step ahead. you must keep improving no matter what.

just like at kicker.

who wants to get rid of bell? what wrong with adding a 7th round rb to compete with hamilton, hill and donaldson? pierre is also a free agent in 2010.
Gresham is a beast, but why would yall draft a big guy like that. He is no doubt the best all around TE in this years draft, but there are TE who are better receivers than him.
Yalls offense would get more use out of a guy like Shawn Nelson than a guy like Gresham. Look at your TE now. Miller and Shockey. None of them are big blocking TEs. I doubt yall get Gresham unless its for a great value pick.

I love draft talk as well, but that by no means I am not excited about this current year.

If Germaine Gresham is available in the 2nd, I would love to have him, value alone he would be worth the pick. A sure fire 1st rd pick before the injury.

I think we are fine at SS w/ Vaughn and Harper. I am excited to see the progression of Casillas and Arnoux, once he returns from injury.

I am definately wanting a speed DE, maybe 2, O-line depth, DT depth and OLB.

I think a speed pass rushing DE is a priority in FA. Yes draft a guy, but we need a DE who will have immediate impact. If we get that from a draft pick, great, but a veteran who we know can make plays will be a huge boost.

Rennie Curran, OLB, Georgia
Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
Jay Ross, DT, East Carolina
Morgan Burnett, S, Georgia Tech

Keep an eye out for these guys.

Gresham is a beast, but why would yall draft a big guy like that. He is no doubt the best all around TE in this years draft, but there are TE who are better receivers than him.
Yalls offense would get more use out of a guy like Shawn Nelson than a guy like Gresham. Look at your TE now. Miller and Shockey. None of them are big blocking TEs. I doubt yall get Gresham unless its for a great value pick.

shockey is one of the best blocking tight ends in the league.

miller has always been a below average blocker. his prescence usually makes us have to carry another tightend to alternate as a blocker on running downs.

we have been looking for more two-dimensional TE's D. thomas and D. Dinkins the last two seasons but neither are what gresham is in the receiving dept. even though they are both adequate blockers.

selvie or wootton #1 at DE, Gresham #2, Kam Chancelor #3, and ricky sapp #4 would be awesome next year.

Showing your ignorance a little here buddy...Miller,no but what makes Shockey such a dynamic TE is that he blocks just as well he plays receiver...blocking is actually one of his strongest attributes as a TE...

yeah eric berry, taylor mays, terrance cody, and carlos dunlap are probably out of the equation for us if we make the playoffs this year.

im thinking that we pick up an OLB and DT and free agency and pursue the heck out of bruce gradkowski (the pats' kicker) in the offseason.

at DT kendrick gholston and jarvis green will be available and cheap. and we could let cassilas develop behind fujita and maybe address the other OLB with rocky mcintosh or thomas howard to back up ***cough*** shanle.

i'd focus on DE, SS, TE, C, and RB in 2010.

George selvie or corey wootton would be great first round pass rushers for us at RDE and will likely be available through picks 20-25.

derrick morgan or Ricky sapp of clemson could be good additions who may replace grant at LDE as well in rounds 2-3.

Germaine Gresham could be our Tightend in round TWO coming off of the knee injury because next year he may be a red-shirt rookie like meachem if he cant go by training camp.

in 2-3 it would help if we looked at a ball-hawking SS prospect like Kam Chancellor from V-tech and Barry Church from toledo as well.

it would be great to see us pick up a good center in round 3 or four to compete next year as well or another FS prospect to compete with usama young like Reshad Jones of georgia who is alot like Chip vaughn but with better hands who may last til rounds 2-3.

Ok here goes.

1.Sean Witherspoon, OLB MIZZO
2.C.J.Wilson, DE E.CAR
3.Aaron Hernandez, TE FLA
4.Anthony Dixon, RB MISS ST.
5.Barry Church, SS TOLEDO
6.Chris Fisher, C LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE
7.LeRoy Vann, CB FLORIDA A&M

So, whattya think? Flame away!

I was also thinking about the 3-4 packages Gregg Williams has installed. That might affect how the FO approaches the draft. They'll want D-linemen and LBs with versatility. A big 325-340lb run stuffing nose tackle would be useful.

1. Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
2. Patrick Robinson,CB, Florida St.-I think Jenkins will be moved to FS
3. D'Anthony Smith, DT, Louisiana Tech
4. Christian Anthony, DE, Grambling
5. Thomas Welch, T, Vandebilt
6. Chris Hall, C, Texas
7. Jeff Byers, G, USC

some have pat robinson penciled in as the top overall cb so he mite not be there in rd2, but who we can get in rd2 is trevard lindley he is maybe best man to man coverage guy in the 2010 draft,i like the idea olb but i woulda went with a slb,at the weakside we have shanle casillas and arnoux i think we are there but to me the major need is d-end
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/CB.php

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom