My Secrets to enjoying being a Saints Fan. (1 Viewer)

I remember after our superbowl, there was a vibe that we as a franchise finally took the next step. We were no longer the lovable losers. We were finally going to be among the elite winning franchises.

Fast forward 6 years.

let's just lower our expectations - expecting a winning franchise I guess is too hard? Lowering expectations also lowers accountability.

After this disastrous preseason my expectations were low and got lower with each preseason game so when the team was actually competitive it was a pleasant surprise. I fully expected the train wreck of an OL to get Brees killed and the Defense.....well it was about what I expected. Over most of Payton/Brees tenure I'd come to expect the team to win, to dominate (at least offensively) but now I've reset those expectations to my old standards - just hope they can compete, celebrate the good plays, forget the bad plays, enjoy the 16 games because they go by quickly.

All fans of the OP's thread that hold season tickets should print as many copies of his post as possible and bring them to the Dome, when walking out and listening to what I call "the spoiled fairweather fans" complaining about the game, simply hand them a print out and keep walking.

I've only been a Saints fan for 17 years, but I figured out something similar to this myself a little while back. We lost a great game by 1 point yesterday as time expired and all I thought was what a great game, hopefully it's better next week. But I would 1 more point to the OP's post.

If we are "still in the game" with 4 minutes on the clock, grab the edge of your seat and enjoy the ride.

been a fan since '71. Ironically, my first game was Saints vs Raiders. I have seen the very bad to the very good. I have seen 1-15 season and a 13-3 season culminating into a trophy that is very hard to obtain. As we have been spectators to the wasting of an outstanding offense with an underachieving defense, some of us have also witnessed the wasting of an outstanding defense with an underachieving offense regarding the Dome Patrol. Imagine the 91-92 defensive teams giving up 13 points a game and can't win anything. I have learned to take each game as a mini season. Don't get too high with a win and don't get too low after a loss. Don't look past the next game. Now, about this defense. I think this defense will struggle somewhat early while the youngsters and new guys settle in their roles and learn how to play together. They played well the first three quarters and just lost it in the fourth. And give the Raiders some credit. They could have just mailed it in but they didn't. They are a good team and so are the Saints.

been a fan since '71. Ironically, my first game was Saints vs Raiders. I have seen the very bad to the very good. I have seen 1-15 season and a 13-3 season culminating into a trophy that is very hard to obtain. As we have been spectators to the wasting of an outstanding offense with an underachieving defense, some of us have also witnessed the wasting of an outstanding defense with an underachieving offense regarding the Dome Patrol. Imagine the 91-92 defensive teams giving up 13 points a game and can't win anything. I have learned to take each game as a mini season. Don't get too high with a win and don't get too low after a loss. Don't look past the next game. Now, about this defense. I think this defense will struggle somewhat early while the youngsters and new guys settle in their roles and learn how to play together. They played well the first three quarters and just lost it in the fourth. And give the Raiders some credit. They could have just mailed it in but they didn't. They are a good team and so are the Saints.

Monday night vs the Raiders was my first game as well. The "treat every game as a mini season" is great advice. All I ever ask is to have a chance to win in the last four minutes. Likewise if as a Saints fan you have to understand this also means you unfortunately have a chance to lose in the last 4 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post P'cola Who Dat. :9:

I vote to sticky this thread!!
Many pearls of wisdom can be found here.

:worthy:

Monday night vs the Raiders was my first game as well. The "treat every game as a mini season" is great advice. All I ever ask is to have a chance to win in the last four minutes. Likewise if as a Saints fan you have to understand this also means you unfortunately have a chance to lose in the last 4 minutes.

congrats on your first game. nothing compares to your first game. sorry it wasn't a win. those are much better. don't stop going. try to make more games. it will get better. we were in this game up to the 4th quarter because of this defense. I contribute the meltdown, and I call it a meltdown, to the lack of game experience on quite a few on defense. the first three quarters were very good. I was very impressed. If this offense can continue to roll, and I know they will, this defense will get better as the season goes on. We will be looking at some ugly games and some great performances at times but I hope to see improvement in the youngsters. They have the talent. They shown they can play defense. Now they just have to learn how to close out games. Be patient with this defense. Let them evolve. Let them learn. I am more worried about the tight end position. Injuries have decimated that position group as well and that group was less talented.

My solution. Have my young children around. After the game was over, my 3yr old son turned and said "Sorry Daddy, I tried to make the Saints win"

A few years back, I had my 1st cousin's 4 yr old grandson over while watching a Saints game.

When I exuberantly yelled, "Yes!" after a big Saints play, he just burst out crying!

I then walked him home...

I'm going to have to go back to my old mindset where the season was ok if we at least beat the Falcons and had a couple of bright spots on the team. That's all you can really hope for when you've got a team that goes out of their way to lose.

Being a fan since 2006 only, I have to admit I probably wouldn't much enjoy watching a smash mouth team that struggled to score 14 points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom