My Secrets to enjoying being a Saints Fan. (1 Viewer)

P'cola WhoDat

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Being a saints fan for over 40 years I feel it is time to pass along some things I have learned to make being a saints fan enjoyable year in and year out for those of you who are constantly frustrated or weren't around before 06.

1. At the start of the season don't even think about reaching the playoffs much less winning the Super Bowl. Thinking this is a recipe for 4 months of dissapointmentmore time than not. Don't set yourself up. It's like asking Santa for a new bicycle, talking yourself into knowing you are going to get it and Christmas morning having 10 pairs of new socks and a new bell and handlebar grips for your old bike. I learned this when having a winning season was a dream and 7-9 was reason for hope.

2. Put a loss behind you quickly and celebrate the things we did well. We used to have the dome patrol now it's Brees. No matter what, believe we have a good chance to win the following game. Not because you think we have a good team but because you subscribe to the "Any Given Sunday" philosophy.

3. Be happy we don't have Carl Smith as our OC. Play calling can never be as bad as it was when he was here. Be happy our choices of QB are not named Billy Joe, Heath or Danny. Also be glad Joe Montana and Jerry Rice aren't in our division.

4. If we have won 4 games at midway point start thinking we MAY have a chance at not having a losing season. If not, hope the next game you watch we don't get blown out. If we lose the remaining games close celebrate.

5. If midway point of the season we have won more than lost you can start entertaining the thought of a 500 season. You may start hoping for a wild card.

6. At the end of regular season we happen to have a wild card, hope it's not against the Eagles or Seahawks.

7. If you happen to still be able to wear your Saints gear the following Saturday or Sunday after wild card week enjoy. The rest is gravy and we have had a better season than most.

8. If at the end of the season you find we are 3-13 or worse then be happy. We get a good draft pick and remember we have a team to be fans of. No worries about Saints moving to LA or San Antonio.

I found myself losing this attitude after after '11.
At the end of last season I wondered why I was not enjoying myself as much as I used to. After much self reflection and many hours of professional therapy I realized I got away from this mindset. Hope it helps you as much as it does me. Also notice no where in there is anything about winning our division. There is a reason for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Saints have more Super Bowls than the Panthers and Falcons.
On that note, that 2009 championship brings a certain pride that can't be taken away. Only a certain amount of teams can say that. Heck, Chicago is still living in 1985.

Very good post,actually an excellent one. I had to learn most of what you wrote down and it took me 30 years to figure it out. This year and last year were the first years I enjoyed the games 100 percent. It has made my family and personal life better. It is foolish to be twisted till Wed and missing all the good games because a Saints loss would kill my interest in any other games. This should be the official Saints survival guide for new and older fans that have not found that Zen way of dealing with a loss.

This is so well said. I found myself angry when I was walking out of the dome yesterday while still in the building. Then when I got outside and it was pouring raining. I asked myself why am I angry?

This is the return to the same old saints that are always entertaining and always find a way to loose. We are going to win and when we do we should enjoy it but the Saints are back to being entertainment now.

I will still love my team but I am never going to go back into that building expecting to win. I will be there every game wanting to win and glad when we do.

I will be more surprised in wins and less shocked on loses.

Very good post,actually an excellent one. I had to learn most of what you wrote down and it took me 30 years to figure it out. This year and last year were the first years I enjoyed the games 100 percent. It has made my family and personal life better. It is foolish to be twisted till Wed and missing all the good games because a Saints loss would kill my interest in any other games. This should be the official Saints survival guide for new and older fans that have not found that Zen way of dealing with a loss.

This is something I have to work on when the Saints loose I don't watch anything NFL until Thursday (maybe) usually Saturday or even Sunday morning. Last night I didn't watch the Pats/Cards game. I knew it would be good but just couldn't do it.

Great post! And good advice that I really needed to hear. I've been a fan since the Archie Manning days and have started to develop this attitude as well. That game yesterday was the worst I've felt after a loss since the playoff loss to the Niners. Honestly it had started to not be fun anymore.

Haha, the OP is dead-on right. I remember those days when a .500 season was still a dream come true.

I'm getting older and I'd throw in make sure you get your blood pressure checked and take your meds....especially on game day.

The problem with me is that was my attitude for a long time, and then the '09 season happened. After 2 games I knew something magical was happening. It just felt like it was our time. And then, yeah, my expectations were pretty high after that.

My solution. Have my young children around. After the game was over, my 3yr old son turned and said "Sorry Daddy, I tried to make the Saints win"

And my 9 month old little girl came Frankenstein walking into the room with a big smile.

How in the hell can you be angry after that??? There really are more important things in life.

Buuuuuutttttttt....... I still miss the '09-'11 feeling that no matter what they would find a way to win, not the more recent and pre-2006 feeling that is just the opposite.

Awesome post OP. Also, playing fantasy football really helps take the sting out of Saints' losses, especially if you have NFL Redzone.

30 year fan here, and I think the reason that I have been upset with our performance the last few years is because this team has the best player in franchise history with Brees, and he is being wasted. I give him credit for showing up every week and playing his heart out, just to watch the rest of the team collapse around him. once he's gone, it will probably be a while until we have anything that closely resembles those '09-'11 teams, and we're not taking advantage of him while he's here.

part of my bitterness is also directed at the league for stealing that 2012 season on some BS, especially with Drew in his prime & the possibility of a home Super Bowl in NO. I still somewhat feel that the following few years of ineptitude were all somehow related from trying to play catchup from the damage done by the league in the 2012 season.

anyway, the OP is definitely right, and I need to get back in the mindset of just enjoying the games for what they are. but Goodell can shove it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom