My senior bowl scouting report (1 Viewer)

donato

Regal Beagle V.I.P.
Reaction score
Sedrick Ellis sure would look good in a Saints uniform? Fuggetaboutit. He may be drafted above Dorsey now, and almost certainly top 5. He was a complete beast even though being double-teamed for much of the game. He even got a safety.

Other observations from the game: D. Rogers-Cromartie, CB from Tennesse St., 6-2 181 lbs. looked great. Blanket coverage and made a nice pick. I liked also how he looked back for the ball while running with the receiver. He had a great game.

Dan Conner, MLB from Penn St., 6-3 230 lbs., was always around the ball, looked good in space and had a nice pick. He had been slated as a mid to late first rounder, but I wouldn't mind him at #10 and he'd keep our oreo defense look.

Ali Highsmith, WLB from LSU, 6-0 220 lbs. Some questioned his strength at that size, but he put a FB on his back on a sweep play, shed blocks well and was always around the ball. he looked good in coverage. Too high at #10, but he'll be long gone before we pick in the second round.

Tracy Porter, CB from Indiana, 5-11 181 lbs. Didn't notice much of him coverage which isn't a bad thing since nobody beat him deep. He looked good in run support though, shedding blocks well to make tackles.

Chevis Jackson looked good in run support, didn't notice anything good or bad in pass situations, would be a nice pick in the third round.

Matt Forte, Tulane RB looked like the best RB on the field to me, along with Justin Forsett from California. Forte had a bad fumble also though (created by Sedrick "the beast" Ellis).

Trevor Laws, DT from Notre Dame, 6-1 302 lbs. Looked very quick with good penetration. He put a spin move on the OG that made you think "wow". Also solid in run support. Would look good in a Saints uniform in the second round.

Lavelle Hawkins, WR California, 5-11 186 pounds. Was THE receiver in the game. Very quick and made some fantastic catches. Also looked great as a return man.

Colt Brennan looked like he shouldn't even be drafted in the Arena league. I thought the best QB was Andre Woodson, but he does look a little raw at times. I do like him more than I liked Brady Quinn coming out last year and Woodson is likely to be drafted a little later.

LB's Xavier Adibi from Virginia Tech, 6-2 219 lbs., Keith Rivers from USC, 6-3 237 lbs. and Phillip Wheeler from Georgia Tech, 6-2 235 lbs. also looked good although they didn't do anything spectacular (nor horrible). Overall a good LB class and hopefully if we don't get one at #10 we can get one in the second round.

Last edited:
donato that was a great recap. I had a fun time at the game. You should edit your post and create some paragraphs to make it easier to read though. Hawkins was seriously fun to watch.

Noted. I put some breaks in to make it easier to read.

Chevis Jackson got beat by I think Hawkins for a TD

Chevis Jackson got beat by I think Hawkins for a TD

Yeah that was a great play by Hawkins... CHevis was in his hip pocket but Hawkins made the adjustment and made the catch.

I think if Jackson could post a low 4.5 he'll be a 2nd rounder. 4.5 is not that slow if you are a polished man corner back with technique.

Thanks for the recap. That confirms what I have heard from others. We should be able to get a good LB or two out of this draft.

I thought it was Rivers caused Matt Forte's fumble, not Ellis.

I was very dissapointed with the LB play.... I know Connor had the INT, but looked like he was getting knocked around way too much.... all the LBs were getting knocked around.....

Ellis and Cromartie Looked like 1st day starters for most teams next year......

I think for the most part the CBs outplayed everyone..... seeing how there was only like 3 balls caught for more than 10yds.... and one of those was mainly yards after the catch which made it more than 10 yds.....

Woodson and Brennan hurt themselves while the Delware QB looked pretty good.

As for the players I had high hopes for the Saints too draft....

Connor -- C+
Highsmith -- C-
Rivers -- C-

Ellis -- A+

Porter -- C+
Cromartie -- A+
Jackson -- C-

Rucker -- B

Fred Davis, Leodis McKelvin, Early Doucet three guys I wanted too see play, I know Doucet and McKelvin were hurt..... cant even remeber if Fred Davis was hurt or just never noticed.....

I was very dissapointed with the LB play.... I know Connor had the INT, but looked like he was getting knocked around way too much.... all the LBs were getting knocked around.....

That's true, however LB is at the biggest disadvantage of all positions during the actual game. There is no blitzing allowed, and thus not even the threat of a blitz. That allows lineman to concentrate solely on the DL in front of them, and then move up to the next level. With various blitzes, or just the threat of a LB moving around, their production goes up. It also eliminates some strengths of certain LBs (i.e. they are great at getting to the QB) and exposes some other LBs that may be poor in coverage (because the SB also allows only 2 base defensive packages and thus you know exactly where to pick on a player or zone).

How many O linemen that participated at the Senior Bowl are first round talent?

Great recap thanks...Anyway in the world the Saints can get both Ellis,and Cromartie?

I guess that's just asking for too much. But if this team is going to build with the draft
they have to make up for last years mishaps.

How many O linemen that participated at the Senior Bowl are first round talent?

Not sure if any are 1st rd talent, but the run blocking was pretty solid.... the centers were getting beat up on by Ellis for the South OL....

as for grading Highsmith so low.... well I never saw him make any big plays.... Like I said the LBs were getting knocked around and for him too win the defensive MVP...... I dont know who awarded it too him but the South Defensive MVP in my opinion was Cromartie....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom