My theory on Brees contract extension (1 Viewer)

I've said this before in another tread. Loomis is a "money man" with a high amount of business savy. At this time, Brees and his team have majority of the leverage. The only leverage Loomis has is Brees's age. After this year is over, and Brees is another year older, Loomis will have gained more leverage in negotiations. He will be able to use past late 30's QBs decline in play as his statistical proof that prevents a 4-5 year contract extension. Also, Peyton Manning's(the best QB ever) rapid decline at age 39 will only reinforce Loomis's position in contract talks. It has been rumored that the Saints offerred Brees a short term contract 2-3 years, but Brees wants it to be a little longer than that. I'm not sure who reported it, or if it was one of our rumors, so take that with a grain of salt. Loomis is playing this game correctly, and we should allow him to do whats best for our long term future.

THIS. Also, from a business point of view, what if Brees got hit and had a serious injury (finger crossed) ?!.. Bottom line os Brees was going to get the same amount whether he got extended now or next summer. But, there is a chance he get paid less if his performance declined, and believe Loomis is taking this chance.

At this point I'm fine with not extending Drew. Let's see what this season has in store.

At this point I'm fine with not extending Drew. Let's see what this season has in store.
I agree. Wait it out, if we are contending, then it's worth bringing him back for sure! But if we're 7-9 again, what's the point? Also, if we sink to basement tier in the league, we'll have to seriously consider what QBs are available in the draft.

I take 2 examples to learn from; Indianapolis, and Cincinnati. Indy had Andrew Luck fall in their laps when Peyton got hurt so they let him go. Cincinnati (although historically a badly run organization) told Carson Palmer to go kick rocks when he came back from retirement. Carson Palmer was still a very high level QB, and they got rid of him, and landed Andy Dalton.

I firmly believe in Sean Payton as an offensive coach, and mentor. You give him "his guy" to completely commit to (no 3rd round "side project" QB like Grayson), and he will develop him into a quality NFL QB. Take a guy like Jay Cutler. #11 overall Pick, and all the physical talent in the world. He had some good years in Denver with some questionable coaches, and even less support in Chicago, but continues to put up quality numbers. You tell me if we a guy like THAT under Sean Payton from the start of his career, he wouldn't be lighting the NFL on fire?

tl;dr: See how the season goes, and explore options in the top of the Draft if we do bad

Brees is set to make a cool 30 million this season, if I were him.....I wouldn't sign any contract that puts less than 30 million dollars in my pocket this year. I can assure you his agent feels the same way as I do. Brees may resign with New Orleans later but collecting that massive payday and hitting free agency after the season gives Drew the most options and is what is best for his client.

I've said this before in another tread. Loomis is a "money man" with a high amount of business savy. At this time, Brees and his team have majority of the leverage. The only leverage Loomis has is Brees's age. After this year is over, and Brees is another year older, Loomis will have gained more leverage in negotiations. He will be able to use past late 30's QBs decline in play as his statistical proof that prevents a 4-5 year contract extension. Also, Peyton Manning's(the best QB ever) rapid decline at age 39 will only reinforce Loomis's position in contract talks. It has been rumored that the Saints offerred Brees a short term contract 2-3 years, but Brees wants it to be a little longer than that. I'm not sure who reported it, or if it was one of our rumors, so take that with a grain of salt. Loomis is playing this game correctly, and we should allow him to do whats best for our long term future.

I've not seen Loomis demonstrate this savvy at all over the past few years. Bad deal, after bad deal costing the Saints tens of millions in dead money and considerably limiting what can be done in free agency. Top that with questionable picks in the Draft and you have a team with declining ability. The one relatively bright spot has been Brees who consistently led the league in passing over the past 4 years.... Continuing to do that without exceptional receivers with the possible exception of Graham for half those years.

It does NOT seem to me to be good judgement when you disrespect your key guy... and that is what Loomis did at the last negotiation with Brees and is doing again this year. If you want Brees to stay on your team, you have to be an idiot to let him reach free agency... and he will reach free agency if he plays out this year without a contract. Why?: because there is little doubt that barring injury, Drew is likely to draw offers in the high 20's for a 3-4 year deal from teams needing a franchise QB... and the Saints could have a deal with him right now in the mid 20s....

Drew cares about his legacy, and he likes New Orleans, but he is very likely to go to another team with better talent (like a better OLine and Defense) to have a good chance of a couple more Superbowls, especially if that other team is also offering 4 of 5 million more per year.

I agree. Wait it out, if we are contending, then it's worth bringing him back for sure! But if we're 7-9 again, what's the point? Also, if we sink to basement tier in the league, we'll have to seriously consider what QBs are available in the draft.

I take 2 examples to learn from; Indianapolis, and Cincinnati. Indy had Andrew Luck fall in their laps when Peyton got hurt so they let him go. Cincinnati (although historically a badly run organization) told Carson Palmer to go kick rocks when he came back from retirement. Carson Palmer was still a very high level QB, and they got rid of him, and landed Andy Dalton.

I firmly believe in Sean Payton as an offensive coach, and mentor. You give him "his guy" to completely commit to (no 3rd round "side project" QB like Grayson), and he will develop him into a quality NFL QB. Take a guy like Jay Cutler. #11 overall Pick, and all the physical talent in the world. He had some good years in Denver with some questionable coaches, and even less support in Chicago, but continues to put up quality numbers. You tell me if we a guy like THAT under Sean Payton from the start of his career, he wouldn't be lighting the NFL on fire?

tl;dr: See how the season goes, and explore options in the top of the Draft if we do bad

Carson Palmer and Andrew Luck are clearly several notches below Drew and likely will always be....

Sean Payton likes high character guys who lead the team by example, are self motivated and study the game. He would not put up with Jay Cutler, period. Jay has shown none of that.

Very few years yield ANY QBs that can be highly productive over a decade... Drew is clearly at the very top for at least 13 years. It is almost impossible to identify good NFL QBs from their college performances.. so most can't miss prospects, do in fact miss. The idea that you can draft a great QB and have Payton coach them up is Naive in the extreme.

Drew is going to want a ton of guaranteed money, for sure.

Is there any chance we can offer him an escalated salary based on incentives? I dunno.

On a side note, I believe that our O-line is the only fly in the ointment that would short-circuit a great season. And if we have a great season, who will complain about a big salary for Drew?

Again, it appears that the O-line is the make-or-break in the equation.

:gosaints:

If they don't extend him in another 2 weeks he can leave for nothing. If they plan on keeping him great, if they plan on letting him walk trade him. No use keeping him on a hopeless team for one more lost season.

From what I'm hearing we tried to extend. Brees wants 5 years fully guaranteed. Saints in the neighborhood of 2 to 3. Brees knows how to be a good teammate and leader but this Brees is in it for Brees not sayin I blame him but his extension could potentially be crippling

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom