My theory on Brees contract extension (1 Viewer)

eastlos82

Veteran
Reaction score
Please bear with me might be a long one....
So just like many of you I have been baffled as to why we haven't offered Drew Brees a contract extension since the ending of last season till now. Why this theory just came to me now is also beyond me. But I think there is a high chance we let him walk after the season ends. I know i'm gonna get red thumbed for this but hear me out. For one, I am a big Drew fan and it's gonna hurt when we see him leave. With that being said, let's face it we are a rebuilding team and have been for the last 2 years. We have cut away any cancers players that could have harmed this team and even traded a few away that had us scratching our heads but the returns have been awesome on those players traded to other teams.

Looking at our preseason game thus far and what we have done in the past 2-3 years I think our defense has improved but not as a team. I think we have gotten some key good players through the draft, free agency and trades but I think our biggest problem is that they haven't been able to mesh together. Why haven't they I couldn't be able to tell you.

As for the offense no doubt about it we have a top 5 offense hoping that the Oline will hold it together but that story is yet to be told for this season.

My point is that I don't think the front office will pay Drew a high amount of money if we can't be true Super Bowl contenders cause after all it is still a business. I really hope that i'm wrong in all this but for me personally i'm gonna start to envision life after Brees in NOLA as much as it might pain to do so.

One last thought to my Monday morning rant, someone here posted not too long ago that another problem is our coahces, GM and other staff. Maybe we do need to rebuild this team but it might also start from rebuilding from the top all the way down. Any who rant over. Thoughts, concerns, complaints?

I agree with you. If the Saints don't make the playoffs the shouldn't even offer him a contract. Let Brees go somewhere that he can win and the Saints should build through the draft and the $20+ million in cap space the would instantly gain.

You do realize that Sean Payton just signed an extension, right? He isn't going anywhere. Neither is Loomis. And where did you get that we haven't offered Bree's a contract. There's a difference between offering and agreeing. They HAVE been in talks in the past, but they haven't come to an agreement. And there hasn't been any movement in the past several weeks, at best. I don't think Drew is going anywhere. But I don't think either side is in a hurry to get a contract done...possibly because neither side expects him to be going anywhere else, regardless.

If that was the case, wouldn't they want to trade him in order to get some value back instead of just letting a HOF caliber QB walk for free?

Yes, I do realize that Brees has been offered a contract. I could have worded my post differently then. But don't you think the reason that a contract hasn't been signed is because they didn't offer Brees the amount of money he is looking for and lets not forget the QB's who did sign with teams this year or those who re-signed with their team to a higher contract. I bet Brees agent is just seeing more money at this point and that is the point i'm trying to make. Is the front office willing to pay more for one player if we are still trying to rebuild this team.

If that was the case, wouldn't they want to trade him in order to get some value back instead of just letting a HOF caliber QB walk for free?

Yea they could have traded Brees but I honestly think that the front office is holding out to see what this season brings. If that's the case then I really hope for a good season cause if not let him walk without getting anything in return well that would really just suck.

I think that considering Brees' age, Loomis probably wants to see if Brees hits that "wall" or if his play declines this season. If it does then the contract can be worked accordingly. If Brees does not have a drop-off (and I don't think he will), the Saints will look to retire him as a Saint with a contract that is cap friendly on the front end.

I feel confident when I say the biggest issue is guaranteed dollars and length of contract. This has about a 90% chance it will be Brees' final contract in the NFL, he's going to want to make the most of it, and Loomis isn't going to want to put too much of the teams financial future on a backloaded deal that could come back to haunt us. For all we know, Brees and Loomis have met, agreed to a deal, but aren't going to sign it until 2017 because it would make it easier to distribute the cap hit.

At the end of the day, the fact is Grayson is still very much a project QB and McCown isn't taking this team anywhere. Sean Payton didn't sign a 5 year extension to spend a best case scenario 2 year of the remaining 4 years of it rebuilding with a brand new QB.

I understand what the OP is saying, but I don't agree. Even if you don't think we have a chance at a Super Bowl (I don't agree), we have even less of a chance without Brees. We can't just let our best player walk away. We don't have a replacement. Payton was signed to an extension, and I believe Brees will get one for the same length of time.

If this O'line does not begin to gell together as a unit very fast, I see no way Drew plays 16 games this year. His next contract, whether it's with the Saints or another team, probably is based on him being another year older and his 2016 stats possibly much lower that his norm (due to games missed). If that's the case, most teams will only be offering him a 1 or 2 year deal.

I went on record months ago that the next Brees contract depends on how 2016 goes. If we're a contender, Brees gets extended. If not, his contract is not renewed and the money is used for rebuilding.

It's best for both parties.

I think he'll get signed to a front loaded contract. Get the big hit out of he way early and then lower cap hits as the contract goes on. We'll have a lot of freed up money next year with the dead money dropping so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he'll get signed to a front loaded contract. Get the big hit out of he way early and then lower cap hits as the contract goes on. We'll have a lot of freed up money next year with the dead money dropping so much.

If Brees ends up with a $25 million cap hit next year, the team will still be $18 million under the proposed cap.

To the OP:
Maybe SP and Loomis will let Drew decide, next season, whether he leaves or stay. Idk, just a thought.

I've said this before in another tread. Loomis is a "money man" with a high amount of business savy. At this time, Brees and his team have majority of the leverage. The only leverage Loomis has is Brees's age. After this year is over, and Brees is another year older, Loomis will have gained more leverage in negotiations. He will be able to use past late 30's QBs decline in play as his statistical proof that prevents a 4-5 year contract extension. Also, Peyton Manning's(the best QB ever) rapid decline at age 39 will only reinforce Loomis's position in contract talks. It has been rumored that the Saints offerred Brees a short term contract 2-3 years, but Brees wants it to be a little longer than that. I'm not sure who reported it, or if it was one of our rumors, so take that with a grain of salt. Loomis is playing this game correctly, and we should allow him to do whats best for our long term future.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom