My Thoughts 5 Hours Later... (1 Viewer)

Jared Cook single handily took two touchdowns from the chargers yesterday. Leave him be
After two games Jared Cook is on track for more yards and more first downs than our entire TE cohort combined.

He had his shortcomings, no doubt. The purpose of my observation was to underline how dire the Saints' predicament is at that position.

Injuries will wreck a team faster than anything, let's get guys back healthy and then see where we are...

After two games Jared Cook is on track for more yards and more first downs than our entire TE cohort combined.

He had his shortcomings, no doubt. The purpose of my observation was to underline how dire the Saints' predicament is at that position.
Oh I know, I was blasting you or anything. I mean I wouldn’t want that guy on my team and that was long before he had a huge mistake in the playoffs.

Our lack of TE play is way more about lack of attempts and QB play than it is TE’s

A few thoughts -

Losing McCoy was a much larger blow than we knew. Ruiz and Throckmorton looked decent against the Pack but both got destroyed against the Packers.

Payton Turner had a good first outing that got lost in the beat down. He had a nice bull rush and did a good job of outside contain against the run. He looks very similar to Davenport. If he can become Davenport without the injury issues…..look out.

Trautman has regressed. He had multiple drops week one and disappeared completely against the Panthers. It may be due to injury but so far his poor play and lack of depth at TE have been a huge liability.

Paulson Adebo got picked on BUT he made sure tackles and limited YAC. He also seems to be mentally tough. He doesn’t collapse after giving up a few receptions. The guy is a player and should continue to improve under Richard.

The Panthers exposed the Saints young LBs as terrible in pass coverage. Baun and Elliss in particular. Darnold ate them up. Demario did his best against McCaffery but he’s an amazing player.

Wow, after 2 whole games? Great observation!!!!!

Wow, after 2 whole games? Great observation!!!!!
Why even post this?

It’s not interesting. It’s not insightful. Its not intelligent. It’s not funny.

Did you read the initial post in context, which was in relation to an overall lack of production through two weeks from our entire receiving corps? Which made the point, quite reasonably in my view, that it was a bridge too far to expect to succeed with UDFAs at the majority of our skilled positions on offense?

If I am to infer from your astute take that you think the current group is good enough to get the job done, why not say so? Why revert to sarcasm?

For your reference, should you actually be interested in engaging in a considered discussion, the Saints are currently ranked 32/32 in the league for total passing yards.

You seem to suggest that two weeks isn’t an adequate sample size. Maybe so. However, the last time the Saints had a cumulative total of 231 passing yards or fewer on offense in any consecutive two-week period was weeks 16 and 17 in 2001. When Haslett was the coach, Brooks was QB and the team lost 40-10 to Washington followed by a 38-0 shutout loss to the 49ers. In that respect, there is a sample size of 20 years to work with.

So perhaps that puts the two-week sample size and my comment in more appropriate context for you. Though it would have been apparent if you hadn’t just selectively quoted me out of context for reasons which are seemingly only known to you.

Last edited:
You seem to suggest that two weeks isn’t an adequate sample size. Maybe so.

Yes, maybe so....

2 games does not a season make. I'm just tired of folks making snap judgements, one way or another.

It works the other way also, with those saying we are going to beat Carolina no question or we are going to destroy those guys....I never say stuff like that because every game is different.

If 2 games was an adequate sample size then you would have given up on 2017 season.

My point is that things change so often during a season, injuries/coaching adjustment/strategies, players improving or declining, etc. It is impossible to know what is going to happen.

And to infer that something happening 20 years ago with a totally different coaching staff (who, BTW didn't have 8 assistant coaches out for a game) and players has anything to do with what happened on Sunday is patently absurd....

It is possible that the season will be a good one, it is possible that it will be not so good. I definitely agree that the WR corp will be better once TQS and MT return. But I don't agree that our WR corp was the primary reason we lost. I think we lost because we couldn't adequately block their pass rushers....and we couldn't run the ball either. I think what this game shows is how important those position coaches are....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom