My Thoughts on Taysom Hill as a QB (1 Viewer)

Bridgewater’s future will be much more influenced by what Brees does than what Hill does.

Someone is going to pay Bridgewater starting QB $ this offseason. If we win it all and Brees decides to go out on top, it may very well be us. If Brees decides to keep playing, Bridgewater will end up in Miami or Tampa or Jacksonville or Denver.

You all are probably right about Teddy Bridgewater but I’ll just add that what I’ve seen from a confident TH shows me #7 hasn’t found a position he not only likes but is great at! Now, if he has been in that QB room ( and why wouldn’t he>? He’s been listed as a QB so learning this offense and being patient with the football would be a huge asset for him and while I didn’t see that vs The Iggles ( he seemed disjointed and a bit confused with whatever role they had him groomed for that day) I look forward to watching him gain his “smoove- groove” when he is called upon taking the team settled and just being patient and running the ball only when it’s a QB running play and being happy to hand the ball off to Alvin and Mark and forgetting about rushing the QB unless he sees something in the Defense he’s facing which allows him to understand it’s going to be his turn to take advantage of the set he’s looking at and understanding when and where a QB run will be successful. See, Teddy Bridgewater may be accustomed to running a set formula offense but that’s NOT what we do and I’ve yet to see just how accurate TB really is. You guys write about him as if he’s a negative of Drew and plays just like his black double~! I don’t think so nor do I believe that’s who he is. He was a pretty solid player as I recall but whether he can come in with the enthusiasm and the energy Drew brings along with being the NFL’s GOAT, I just don’t see our TEAM responding to him and his leadership as they would follow a guy who knows what it’s like to play for League minimum and doing with a smile and just glad to be there and would lead them like a man! I’d play my heart out for the guy and not sure if Teddy carries that kind of juice~!

Teddy Bridgewater was a probowler as a rookie. His accuracy is why Sean Payton wanted to trade for him in the first place. TB had a horrible knee injury that put his career in question and ultimately cost him his job with the vikes. He's more than just a serviceable back-up hes a legit NFL starting QB. I like Taysom hill just as much as any saints fan should at this point. But to say that Taysom hill would be a better leader than a proven NFL starter who lead his team to the playoffs is a bit of stretch don't ya think? At this point in their careers TB is the better QB and he's also younger so he still has room to grow and improve. Taysom still has to prove he can be a legit QB in the NFL, TB just has to prove he can stay healthy.

You all are probably right about Teddy Bridgewater but I’ll just add that what I’ve seen from a confident TH shows me #7 hasn’t found a position he not only likes but is great at! Now, if he has been in that QB room ( and why wouldn’t he>? He’s been listed as a QB so learning this offense and being patient with the football would be a huge asset for him and while I didn’t see that vs The Iggles ( he seemed disjointed and a bit confused with whatever role they had him groomed for that day) I look forward to watching him gain his “smoove- groove” when he is called upon taking the team settled and just being patient and running the ball only when it’s a QB running play and being happy to hand the ball off to Alvin and Mark and forgetting about rushing the QB unless he sees something in the Defense he’s facing which allows him to understand it’s going to be his turn to take advantage of the set he’s looking at and understanding when and where a QB run will be successful. See, Teddy Bridgewater may be accustomed to running a set formula offense but that’s NOT what we do and I’ve yet to see just how accurate TB really is. You guys write about him as if he’s a negative of Drew and plays just like his black double~! I don’t think so nor do I believe that’s who he is. He was a pretty solid player as I recall but whether he can come in with the enthusiasm and the energy Drew brings along with being the NFL’s GOAT, I just don’t see our TEAM responding to him and his leadership as they would follow a guy who knows what it’s like to play for League minimum and doing with a smile and just glad to be there and would lead them like a man! I’d play my heart out for the guy and not sure if Teddy carries that kind of juice~!

And you think taysom can come in and be the goat? Kinda makes me wonder why you brought up Teddy's race.

Here’s a scenario to think about:Our starting QB in 2019 is Brees with Bridgewater as backup and Taysom being all-everything, same as this year.

In 2020, the Saints trade up in the first round to draft Tua Tagovailoa to be the successor to Brees and Taysom continuing his same role. Bridgewater is subsequently traded or even involved somehow in a trade to make that happen.

Would you do it?

Getting Tagovailoa in 2020 would require either a horrible crash in 2019, or a trade of many early draft picks and/or some good players from our roster.
I'm not ready to hang that kind of value on Tua mainly because it's hard to know if the kid is really that good or if he is mostly benefiting from being part of a college football 'machine'.
Somebody may roll the dice for this kid with a 'big pot' on the table. But I hope we don't have/try to go that route. :shocked:

Bridgewater’s future will be much more influenced by what Brees does than what Hill does.

Someone is going to pay Bridgewater starting QB $ this offseason. If we win it all and Brees decides to go out on top, it may very well be us. If Brees decides to keep playing, Bridgewater will end up in Miami or Tampa or Jacksonville or Denver.

Agreed. And Brees is under contract for next year, playing his best football, and within a year of the all-time TD pass record. I really hope he isn’t planning on hanging them up after this year.

I'm not sure he can advance all that much as a qb when his attention is so divided. Payton does love what he brings to the organization but that doesn't mean he's ready to make him the heir apparent.

Sean Payton is a smart son of a gun. He is using Hill in his current role, for more than just his god given athletic abilities and intelligence. By playing Hill the way he has, it allows for a number of things. 1) Hill is learning from watching Brees, how to command a NFL huddle. 2) Hill is learning about the tempo and pace Sean expects in his style of offense. 3) Hill is learning many positions and understanding of the exact placement (where one needs to be) when you lineup for the play. He is learning a lot without having to do so with all of the pressure that comes along when trying to play the actual position.

As far as Hill’s pure ability to be an accurate QB and to understand audibles and his reads goes; it remains to be seen.

One thing is a given! We as Saints fans, are going to need to learn very quickly, to be patient, who ever the next QB is, because he will be following one of the greatest of all times; a true legend. It is going to be tough.

because whoever gets the next starting job here will be following one of the greatest of all times; a true legend. It is going to be tough.
You are certainly correct in all of your post, but I want everyone to note the change above. There won't be a 'Plug & Play' quarterback anywhere that will immediately pick up where Drew leaves off. And Saints fans better be careful when comparing the new guy against the amazing things Brees has done. At best it will take quite a while. At worst it will never happen again.

Getting Tagovailoa in 2020 would require either a horrible crash in 2019, or a trade of many early draft picks and/or some good players from our roster.
I'm not ready to hang that kind of value on Tua mainly because it's hard to know if the kid is really that good or if he is mostly benefiting from being part of a college football 'machine'.
Somebody may roll the dice for this kid with a 'big pot' on the table. But I hope we don't have/try to go that route. :shocked:

I’m not disagreeing with you about the risk but that’s the case with every pick.

There’s nothing to suggest Tua’s game couldn’t translate at this level the same way that Mahomes’ game has. And trading up to get him would probably look pretty similar to what the Chiefs had to do to get Mahomes at #10.

I’m not disagreeing with you about the risk but that’s the case with every pick.

There’s nothing to suggest Tua’s game couldn’t translate at this level the same way that Mahomes’ game has. And trading up to get him would probably look pretty similar to what the Chiefs had to do to get Mahomes at #10.
You are correct. Picking any quarterback to potentially be your next franchise guy will always be a crap shoot. A lot of great college QBs didn't impress in the pros. And of course we also know that some later draft picks became insanely good QBs in the NFL.
I'm sure that if Sean Payton and the Saints scouts see Tua as the guy to fill Drew's shoes, they will do what it takes to make that happen (within reason). Let's face it, if the Chiefs hadn't jumped on Mahomes, he would probably be wearing the Black & Gold. But I would have no problem with finding another diamond in the rough kid like Tom Brady was (a 6th rounder) because I think Sean Payton can make a winner out of a kid who has some football smarts and good physical tools. Perhaps this is why there is some appeal in trying to groom a guy like Taysom Hill. But since Hill may not be the answer, I just don't want to see the Saints sell the farm to get a kid that may not pan out. That can really set a team back for a long time.

You all make very good points, I agree that Teddy is a better option if Brees went down or retired. But I would not close the door in Hill being a starter, maybe another year and we will see positive growth toward a better passer.

Taysom Hill has a perfect multi-dimensional role on the team and I expect that role to continue if the Saints can keep him signed for multiple years, regardless of who our main QB is. Hill is never going to be accurate enough to be a starter. He is accurate at about 10-15 yards max. Not a problem because his role is set.

I wish they had put Hill in the 4th quarter and see what he could do. Bridgewater didn't do much but hand off

Mike Vick was one of the greatest pure athletes ever to play professional football if not pro sports period. He's in the Bo Jackson and LeBron James athleticism tier. Taysom Hill is maybe, maybe in the top 5 on his own team in terms of athletic ability. They are not even remotely comparable in any fashion whatsoever, at least physically. Just because Vick and Hill share a lot of the same flaws doesn't mean they have the same pros..

However, you're right. Taysom Hill is not a QB. The role he is in currently is and will be the peak of his career. And that's not a bad thing for him or the Saints.

I agree that there are many differences between the two, but I have to disagree with you saying that they aren't at all comparable. Hill, like others have said in this thread, is probably closer to Tebow in a sense that he's a more physical runner than Vick but make no mistake about it: Michael Vick is the measuring stick for all running QBs IMO Hill is a running QB.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom