My thoughts on the rookie class (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Erik McCoy this kid is a steal at 48, he should have gone 20 spots higher center is no longer a spot to be worried about. The long athletic polished center should start game 1 and for the next 10 + years

Chance of making the roster 100%
Chance of starting 90%

Chauncey Gardner-johnson another steal in the draft a 2nd round prospect we got in the 4th round. A rangy athletic ball hawk he's a much needed improvement over Kurt Coleman. He will provide some much needes help to Bell and Williams allowing them to now have to compensate like they did with his predecessor.

Chance of making the team 100%
Chance of starting 40% (100 if we open in the 3 safety set)

Saquon Hampton this pick was definately more on potential than polish. Hampton has a nice mix of length and athleticism and displayed solid instincts and patience in college, but he is not a finished product he is still raw and really needs to work on his aggressiness (he was too patient at times). He main competition for the roster will be MT Gray and with that he should make the roster

Chances of making the roster 65%
Chances of starting 0%

Kaden Ellis is another potential sleeper/steal in the 7th round. He has excellent size and good instincts. With the departure of Teo there is a spot open at LB. Don't be surprised if he also beats out Biegel for the 5th spot. He seems to be a more athletic version of AJ Klein. He along with Biegel, Hansen and possibly Guston will be fighting for 2 spots.

Chances of making the roster 60%
Chances of starting 1%

Alize Mack another nice pick Mack has shown some abilty as both a receiver and blocker but still needs a lot of work on both. I think he has the potential to develop onto a noce #2 TE. He main competition will be Dan Arnold for the 3rd spot.

Chances of making the roster 50%
Chances of starting 0%

A few UDFAs of note

Devine Ozigbo a big explosive back with decent vision and excellent power. Ive seen scouting reports that had him as high as a 4th round prospect. His biggest knock is he generally needs to run with more patience, when he does he could be something special. Not only does he have a great chance to make the roster he has a higher ceiling than our current #3 RB Washington

Chance of making the roster 80%

Chase Hansen another UDFA gem, I've seen a dew scoiuting reports that gave him a 5th round grade. Hansen is a former QB and safety and has shown a nose for the ball along with nice coverage skills and instincts at 225 he is a little on the light side but can offer a lot as a SS/WLB hybrid.

Chances of making the roster50%

Carl Gunderson a small school DE who has a nice burst and length. Gunderson will need some work to make the team but the potential is there. He is a little stiff turning th corner and need to increase his strength.
He athletically is similar to former Saints Junior Galette but with out the personality issues.

Chances of making the roster 30%

Porter Gustin, has a very nice mix of athleticism length and instincts and has the ability to really turn the corner and get around the edge when rushing the passed. His biggest issue has been durability.

If he can stay healthy his chances of making the team I would say are around 60%.

He and Gunderson will be battling it out for that 4th and possibly 5th DE spots behind Hendrickson.

Jordan Wyatt is a instinctive CB who was a playmaker at CB. In years past he would almost be a shoe in to make the team but we have a lot of depth at CB and he will be fighting vets Crawley, Hardee and Stereos for a roster spot.

Chances of making the team 20%

Lil Jordan Humphrey a lengthy WR he has great hands, good route running and a nice ability to high point the ball. He would have been drafted had he osted a better 40 time (4.75). There is a lot of competitions he will have a tough time making the roster. He will definately demonstrate special teams ability.

Chance of making the roster 15%

Others to keep an eye.
WRs Emmanuel Butler and Deonte Harris.
RB AJ Oulette
OG Ethan Greenidge.

Last edited:
Nightshade:

When SR members take the time and effort to make posts like yours, the effort is always appreciated.

Can’t argue much with your write-up. But I want to zero in on one guy in particular: Kaden Elliss.

Elliss’ athleticism, speed, aptitude and instincts make him an absolute LOCK for practice squad or higher. With his talent and versatility, he’d be a lock for the final 53 on at least half of the other NFL teams, IMO.

He’s my sleeper in this year’s camp.
Looking forward to tracking his progress. :munch:

Again, nice post draft analysis.

:gosaints:

Nightshade:

When SR members take the time and effort to make posts like yours, the effort is always appreciated.

Can’t argue much with your write-up. But I want to zero in on one guy in particular: Kaden Elliss.

Elliss’ athleticism, speed, aptitude and instincts make him an absolute LOCK for practice squad or higher. With his talent and versatility, he’d be a lock for the final 53 on at least half of the other NFL teams, IMO.

He’s my sleeper in this year’s camp.
Looking forward to tracking his progress. :munch:

Again, nice post draft analysis.

:gosaints:

Thanks I agree with you on Ellis, right now I'm being a little more cautious with my optimism.

Biegel, Ellis and Hansen will be a fun battle to keep up with.

Erik McCoy this kid is a steal at 48, he should have gone 20 spots higher center is no longer a spot to be worried about. The long athletic polished center should start game 1 and for the next 10 + years

Chance of starting 90%

Chauncey Gardner-johnson another steal in the draft a 2nd round prospect we got in the 4th round. A rangy athletic ball hawk he's a much needed improvement over Kurt Coleman. He will provide some much needes help to Bell and Williams allowing them to now have to compensate like they did with his predecessor.

Saquon Hampton this pick was definately more on potential than polish. Hampton has a nice mix of length and athleticism and displayed solid instincts and patience in college, but he is not a finished product he is still raw and really needs to work on his aggressiness (he was too patient at times). He main competition for the roster will be MT Gray and with that he should make the roster

Chances of starting 0%

Kaden Ellis is another potential sleeper/steal in the 7th round. He has excellent size and good instincts. With the departure of Teo there is a spot open at LB. Don't be surprised if he also beats out Biegel for the 5th spot. He seems to be a more athletic version of AJ Klein. He along with Biegel, Hansen and possibly Guston will be fighting for 2 spots.

Chances of starting 1%

Alize Mack another nice pick Mack has shown some abilty as both a receiver and blocker but still needs a lot of work on both. I think he has the potential to develop onto a noce #2 TE. He main competition will be Dan Arnold for the 3rd spot.

Chances of starting 0%

A few UDFAs of note

Devine Ozigbo a big explosive back with decent vision and excellent power. Ive seen scouting reports that had him as high as a 4th round prospect. His biggest knock is he generally needs to run with more patience, when he does he could be something special. Not only does he have a great chance to make the roster he has a higher ceiling than our current #3 RB Washington

Chase Hansen another UDFA gem, I've seen a dew scoiuting reports that gave him a 5th round grade. Hansen is a former QB and safety and has shown a nose for the ball along with nice coverage skills and instincts at 225 he is a little on the light side but can offer a lot as a SS/WLB hybrid.

Carl Gunderson a small school DE who has a nice burst and length. Gunderson will need some work to make the team but the potential is there. He is a little stiff turning th corner and need to increase his strength.
He athletically is similar to former Saints Junior Galette but with out the personality issues.

Porter Gustin, has a very nice mix of athleticism length and instincts and has the ability to really turn the corner and get around the edge when rushing the passed. His biggest issue has been durability.

If he can stay healthy his chances of making the team I would say are around 60%.

He and Gunderson will be battling it out for that 4th and possibly 5th DE spots behind Hendrickson.

Jordan Wyatt is a instinctive CB who was a playmaker at CB. In years past he would almost be a shoe in to make the team but we have a lot of depth at CB and he will be fighting vets Crawley, Hardee and Stereos for a roster spot.

Lil Jordan Humphrey a lengthy WR he has great hands, good route running and a nice ability to high point the ball. He would have been drafted had he osted a better 40 time (4.75). There is a lot of competitions he will have a tough time making the roster. He will definately demonstrate special teams ability.

Others to keep an eye.
RB AJ Oulette
OG Ethan Greenidge.
I think the USC DE Porter Gustin has a better chance to make the roster then Gunderson. John Simon who played for the Pats last year i beleive Gustin and Simon dang near spitting image kinda players. Sayin that Simon has not only stuck in the league he has gotten snaps wherever hes been

I think the USC DE Porter Gustin has a better chance to make the roster then Gunderson. John Simon who played for the Pats last year i beleive Gustin and Simon dang near spitting image kinda players. Sayin that Simon has not only stuck in the league he has gotten snaps wherever hes been

Agreed. Injuries have been a huge setback for Gustin. But again, like the old saying, “He’s hell when he’s well!”.

Here are his Combine numbers:

Here’s some of his highlights:

In my opinion, IF he can stay healthy, he could challenge Hendrickson, and possibly make the 53 as an edge rusher and on STs.

Last edited:
Nice write-up but I have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, I want all of our draft picks to do well and make the team but I really believe our current roster is so strong that anyone outside of McCoy/CJG making the team (perhaps they wind up on the PS) will surprise me....I just don't think some of these kids will be able to beat out all the young veterans on our roster....

Nice write-up but I have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, I want all of our draft picks to do well and make the team but I really believe our current roster is so strong that anyone outside of McCoy/CJG making the team (perhaps they wind up on the PS) will surprise me....I just don't think some of these kids will be able to beat out all the young veterans on our roster....

That same argument was used last year even though 3 UDFAs made the roster. If you look at it position by position it takes a different perspective.

McCoy was drafted to replace Unger.

CGJ was drafted to replace Coleman.

Hampton was drafted to upgrade depth at safety and all he needs is to beat out JT Gray, a UDFA last year. Which he should do.

Kaden Ellis or Chase Hansen will take the spot left vacant from Teo not being re-signed and it's possible one or both could beat out Beigel.

Mack is an unerderated TE who will compete with a UDFA, converted WR for the 3rd TE spot.

Ozigbo should have been drafted and has a higher ceiling than Washington our 3rd RB. Plus the team usually keeps 4 and that spot is open.

Gunderson and Gustin will battle to replace the vacancy left by Okafor, odds are one of them makes the team.

While there are no guarantees it's not an impossible road either for these rookies. o.k.

Last edited:
NS, great to see you back, brother!!

Good work on the review. After McCoy, I saw the Saints doing a major upgrade to the STs with big speedy athletes. And I've seen most of what you see; however, DB Hampton, Deonte Harris, Lil Jordan Humphrey and Ethan Greenridge deserve another look.

First, the Saints LB group is solid at the top, but Klien's contract is expiring. What if Biegel, Elliss and Hampton were in the pipeline to take that job? Hampton spent a lot of time playing on the LOS in a LB position (not covering the Slot) in college and he is only 15-20 lbs away from being a decent-sized WLB.

Next, at 5-6, Deonte Harris was not brought into camp to compete with 6-2 and 6-3 WRs. Harris is only on this team to add competition to Marcus Sherels' TC. Harris is fast, quick and dominated the competition is college. Can you tell me why when coaches know the KR holds the school record for kick returns for TDs, how do you let him run back kicks for TDs twice in one game.. in multiple games? Harris will catch some passes, but we'll be watching his kick return game.

Finally, if Ethan Greenridge shows anything in TC, then the Saints will keep him as swing-OT. Much like Zach Strief who could play OG and OT, Greenridge would allow the Saints to carry one less OL player on the 43-man active roster. And, if I were Lil Jordan Humphrey after looking at the Saints' WR room, I'd ask for snaps at TE.

Again, great job.

GO Saints!!

NS, great to see you back, brother!!

Good work on the review. After McCoy, I saw the Saints doing a major upgrade to the STs with big speedy athletes. And I've seen most of what you see; however, DB Hampton, Deonte Harris, Lil Jordan Humphrey and Ethan Greenridge deserve another look.

First, the Saints LB group is solid at the top, but Klien's contract is expiring. What if Biegel, Elliss and Hampton were in the pipeline to take that job? Hampton spent a lot of time playing on the LOS in a LB position (not covering the Slot) in college and he is only 15-20 lbs away from being a decent-sized WLB.

Next, at 5-6, Deonte Harris was not brought into camp to compete with 6-2 and 6-3 WRs. Harris is only on this team to add competition to Marcus Sherels' TC. Harris is fast, quick and dominated the competition is college. Can you tell me why when coaches know the KR holds the school record for kick returns for TDs, how do you let him run back kicks for TDs twice in one game.. in multiple games? Harris will catch some passes, but we'll be watching his kick return game.

Finally, if Ethan Greenridge shows anything in TC, then the Saints will keep him as swing-OT. Much like Zach Strief who could play OG and OT, Greenridge would allow the Saints to carry one less OL player on the 43-man active roster. And, if I were Lil Jordan Humphrey after looking at the Saints' WR room, I'd ask for snaps at TE.

Again, great job.

GO Saints!!

Thanks YSW, I'm with you on Harris, I see him as a more explosive, polished version of Tommylee Lewis.

While there is some excitement around Humphrey and Butler who are both big productive college players they are also slow and I don't think they offer much on special teams.

Greenidge has some potential but he needs a year on the practice squad in my opinion. He needs to work on lower body strength and technique a lot.

That same argument was used last year even though 3 UDFAs made the roster. If you look at it position by position it takes a different perspective.

McCoy was drafted to replace Unger.

CGJ was drafted to replace Coleman.

Hampton was drafted to upgrade depth at safety and all he needs is to beat out JT Gray, a UDFA last year. Which he should do.

Kaden Ellis or Chase Hansen will take the spot left vacant from Teo not being re-signed and it's possible one or both could beat out Beigel.

Mack is an unerderated TE who will compete with a UDFA, converted WR for the 3rd TE spot.

Ozigbo should have been drafted and has a higher ceiling than Washington our 3rd RB. Plus the team usually keeps 4 and that spot is open.

Gunderson and Gustin will battle to replace the vacancy left by Okafor, odds are one of them makes the team.

While there are no guarantees it's not an impossible road either for these rookies. o.k.

O.K. Didn't really touch on UDFA's here...just focused on draft picks. I do expect 1-2 UDFA's to make the team, it seems this happens every year...

But don't forget, we signed Okafor's replacement in Mario Edwards (who can also play DT) and will actually be 3rd or 4th in the DE rotation....

Also the re-signing of Chris Banjo means one of the young players will not make it for ST's only....

Mack will have to beat out Dan Arnold which is possible but IMO not likely...

Will be really surprised if Elliss makes the team as we are deep at edge rusher and LB, maybe can make it if we have injuries before the season to a key ST'er...but hope not....

We will see...but i expect a repeat or at similar results to last year regarding our draft picks...

Chance of starting 90%

Chances of starting 0%

Chances of starting 1%

Chances of starting 0%

A few UDFAs of note

Others to keep an eye.
RB AJ Oulette
OG Ethan Greenidge.

Just to let you know CGJ will probably play more slot CB then safety his first year.

As talented as he is, he has a real good shot of beating out PJ William's and P-Rob.

Alize Mack has the potential to be a starting TE in this league. He has strong hands, and and exceptional ability to high point passes. His ability to catch in traffic is borderline elite coming out of college.

He is just pretty raw in other areas like route running and things that can be developed.

Call me crazy but I think he has one of the highest Ceilings of anybody that we drafted.

I wouldn't expect much out of him year one, but you best believe the FO drafted him with the realization of the potential starting TE he can be in a couple years.

We will just have to see!

Great post, just figured I would give my opinion on a couple things

Good job Nightshade.

McCoy and CGJ are the only locks to make the 53 this year. Any lower picks have an uphill battle to even make the PS. UDFA's that signed with the Saints know that, and have a lot of faith in themselves. That's the kind of players that can surprise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom