My thoughts on the upcoming Chicago Cubs season (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I never thought I would say this but I think maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to let Mark Cuban get a chance at owning the Cubs at some point? I mean why not? the cubs have a promising future but they are a team without an owner, their current owners, the Tribune Company, want to sell them, but they cant find anybody to sell them too.

Well anyway I hope you have heard about the recent news of the cubs and the upcoming season this year, we have a division title under our belts and a good future.

Derrek Lee is still in his prime and Soroino is still a big time star, I think the cubs have a few good years left in them. and they have a good manager who can lead upon what he did last year.

I am predicting the Brewers in the divison. I think the cubs are looking at a solid 85 win season.

P.S. Finally a baseball topic. I have been waiting for one.

The Brewers are a good team but my God lsu they had a major league choke last year my man. They were like 10 games or so ahead of us in May and June and they still lost it in the final days of the season. It was a joke among Cubs fans many of whom were taking bets to when the day would be when the deed was done. If the Brewers could survive a season where they kept a lead and go into the playoffs as a solid team, they could be good. but they have been choking at a consistent pace these past couple of years.
Its ridiculous almost, almost as bad as the Mets last year

My thoughts on the upcoming Cubs season:

They won't make it through the 2008 World Series Champions, the Atlanta Braves.

I like the way you think.
The Brewers are a good team but my God lsu they had a major league choke last year my man. They were like 10 games or so ahead of us in May and June and they still lost it in the final days of the season. It was a joke among Cubs fans many of whom were taking bets to when the day would be when the deed was done. If the Brewers could survive a season where they kept a lead and go into the playoffs as a solid team, they could be good. but they have been choking at a consistent pace these past couple of years.
Its ridiculous almost, almost as bad as the Mets last year

Last year's choke should not be entered into the equation. BTW a 10 game lead in May isn't as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. Weren't the Yankees down like 16 games during June only to take the lead at one point? Were the Brewers as good as that hot start? No. Were the Cubs as bad as their start indicated? No. They play 162 games for a reason. Not 50.

Last edited:
I didn't want to triple post, but since no one else replied.
How many people would be interested in a Saintsreport fantasy baseball league?

I would. I love baseball. Been a Braves fan since the pre-success Dale Murphy days. Ive never played fantasy baseball, but Ive played fantasy football for years so Im not a complete fantasy noob.

BTW 2884, how do you feel about the impending name change of Wrigley Field.

bop, I think its silly. While I don't hate corporate ball park names, I think that a place like Wrigley deserves to be still called Wrigley. Their is so much history in that place and it would be a shame if they did have to become a corporate bulwark. Kind of like the Green Bay Packers, the cubs have a tradition of being a place where the casual fan can enjoy themselves and really get a nostalgic view of baseball. I mean MLB bop is at a bad viewpoint of its image and its at war with itself in a way. The Cubs are one of the pure things about MLB baseball left, kind of a dying relic of sports where corporations don't own anything and everything .

I think Wrigley field should remain being called Wrigley Field, like Yankee Stadium is in its last year of existence, they both are lasting remnants of the golden years of MLB.

that in itself makes it important and worth keeping IMHO

I'd definitely be in.

The NL central looks pretty wide open to me. The Brewers and the Cubs obviously have the inside track, but even the Cardinals have a decent shot. Right now I'll say the Brewers will take it if they can stay healthy. Moving Braun to the outfield should save them a ton of runs defensively, and he should continue to grow as a player offensively. And after watching Gagne hand over a good 5 games last year for the Sox, I'm really interested in how that signing pans out. I still wonder how they could give up that much for Gagne. $10mm per year. Mind-boggling. I like what the Cubs are doing and I like the Fukudome signing. From what I understand, he's pretty similar statistically to JD Drew, the pre-2007 version I presume. His OBP should help out the Cubs lineup that sorely needs it. I too, lsualways am ready for some baseball.

man i hope the cubs can get something going. it would be nice for those fans to get a title. just like boston they kept waiting. it is sad really but i always hope it could be the year.

bop, I think its silly. While I don't hate corporate ball park names, I think that a place like Wrigley deserves to be still called Wrigley. Their is so much history in that place and it would be a shame if they did have to become a corporate bulwark. Kind of like the Green Bay Packers, the cubs have a tradition of being a place where the casual fan can enjoy themselves and really get a nostalgic view of baseball. I mean MLB bop is at a bad viewpoint of its image and its at war with itself in a way. The Cubs are one of the pure things about MLB baseball left, kind of a dying relic of sports where corporations don't own anything and everything .

I think Wrigley field should remain being called Wrigley Field, like Yankee Stadium is in its last year of existence, they both are lasting remnants of the golden years of MLB.

that in itself makes it important and worth keeping IMHO

Yeah, Im no Cubs fan but I hate to see such a historic ball park name get changed.

So far on board for the SaintsReport Fantasy Baseball League:
1) LSU31always
2) Bop
3) JOElittleBIGhorn
4) Geauxboy
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
Ideally I would like to have posters such as Saintrays, TheSpaniard, Blackngold4877, Porculator, SuperQuincy, Yaygosaints, JonStrehlow
Saintsman2884, slowchild25, and or others who took part in the baseball threads here on SaintsReport.

Last edited:
1) LSU31always
2) Bop
3) JOElittleBIGhorn
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
Ideally I would like to have posters such as Saintrays, Geauxboy, TheSpaniard, Blackngold4877, Porculator, SuperQuincy, Yaygosaints, JonStrehlow
Saintsman2884, slowchild25, and or others who took part in the baseball threads here on SaintsReport.

I be there Mr Marty (what was that commercial anyway?). Count me in.

Atleast the Cubs have finally started to replace those aces that were viewed as World Series winners. Prior, who I really like, has been an injury plagued vice that has left the Cubbies vulnerable year after year due to his absence when they needed him most. So now, it's time to make a decision on Wood. If there's any question about his health, dump him for whatever you can get.

The offense and the coach are in place IMO. Just solidify the pitching staff and the Cubbies are in serious biz. The Cards are done their run IMO. The Brewers COULD begin a reign that would be tough to stop, but their youth could be their downfall again. Houston? Still not enough to make a difference.

The Cubbies HAVE to take advantage of the situation and make a solid run at the playoofs. World Series? Nah. Not yet, but the ball is in their hands.

1) LSU31always
2) Bop
3) JOElittleBIGhorn
4) Geauxboy
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
Ideally I would like to have posters such as Saintrays, TheSpaniard, Blackngold4877, Porculator, SuperQuincy, Yaygosaints, JonStrehlow
Should I give the idea its own topic?

Should I give the idea its own topic?

Might as well.

Do you think that the Braves can take the Mets this year? I'm a Braves fan first, but being here in Queens has me gravitating to the Mets. I'm always torn when I go to Braves/Mets games. I still wear my Braves gear anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom