My thoughts on why a WR is NOT a huge need. (1 Viewer)

I mean, with the addition of Sanders, Smith becomes at best the 5th option in the passing game behind Thomas, Sanders, Cook, and Kamara. He might even become the 6th option if Truatman is good. But, I think the key is that despite the hell he gets, TQS isn't a terrible player. He's just not a great player. But, the addition of Sanders means he can play a lesser role and get better match ups.

I really don't think we know what we have with TQS because he hasn't been healthy for anywhere close to a full year. Hopefully he will this year and we will have a better notion of what he is....we will see....

1. We signed Emmanuel Sanders who is very, very good with some serious savage to him.

2. Tre'Quan Smith will be entering his 3rd year now in our system so he should improve on reads, subtle things like that.

3. Because of Sanders, Tre'Quan will now get most teams 3rd or 4th cornerbacks.

4. Jared Cook came on very strong down the stretch. So strong in fact that one dirty team game planned to take him out.

5. Expect to see Harris get opportunities a lot this year similar to Tyrek Hill's second year.

DL, LB and CB depth is a much bigger need imo. We got weapons...
This is how I look at it: Drew Brees completes around 350 to 420 passes every year. The last two complete season where we've seen a marked emphasis on running the ball, he has completed 386 and 364 respectively. Let's say he completes 360 passes next year, then completions should reasonably be distributed as follows:

Thomas (110)
Kamara (80)
Cook (50)
Murray (30)
J. Hill (25)
T. Hill (20)
Tre'quan (20)

That leaves about 25 passes between Zach Line, Trautman, Butler, Ginn, Harris, Humphrey and/or whatever UDFA they find. All this angst over 25 catches (which honestly could easily be absorbed by Mike Thomas) is just silly. This is a non-issue.

This is how I look at it: Drew Brees completes around 350 to 420 passes every year. The last two complete season where we've seen a marked emphasis on running the ball, he has completed 386 and 364 respectively. Let's say he completes 360 passes next year, then completions should reasonably be distributed as follows:

Thomas (110)
Kamara (80)
Cook (50)
Murray (30)
J. Hill (25)
T. Hill (20)
Tre'quan (20)

That leaves about 25 passes between Zach Line, Trautman, Butler, Ginn, Harris, Humphrey and/or whatever UDFA they find. All this angst over 25 catches (which honestly could easily be absorbed by Mike Thomas) is just silly. This is a non-issue.
No Sanders?

No Sanders?
Thanks. Not sure how I forgot him, but yeah. Let's throw Sanders in there and dilute the completions again. It kinda makes it even more silly that people are freaking out about not adding a WR.

I find it funny how we add ONE receiver and all of a sudden we have a ton of talent. We clearly need atleast one legit receiver that can be that legit number 3.

I hope we pick up omar bayless if he he doesn't get drafted. He could challenge Smith for that 3rd spot.

As of right now, we have no legit #2. Unless we depend on LJH or the other guy that wore number 81 (or 84...can't think of his name).
I imagine Sanders will fill play Lance Moore role.

As far as TQS, we use to say the same things about Brandon Coleman. So in theory he should improve but have you seen anything from him that will suggest he will do so and get better?

Lewis is an excellent return man. Its unknown how effective he will be on offense, and Tyreke Hill has elite speed. I don't see that from Lewis.
Sanders is our #2, regardless of where he lines up. And I can guarantee he will move around alot because we will line Thomas and Cook in the slot sometimes too.

I think it was a need solely because of the kind on money it takes to sign a decent WR in FA these days.

like everything else its supply and demand. But the league just got its biggest influx from the position in a really long time. Maybe that means a few decent ones will shake out in cuts. I doubt it though. There were so darn many teams in need of them last year and that is why we couldn't score one.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Ted Ginn back on a cheap 1 year deal. I just don’t trust trequan smith letting Keith Kirkwood go will be a mistake

I respectfully disagree.

We were 2 contributing WR short last year....???

As we went 13-3.

How many WR did Minne have? San Fran? KC?

San fran had 3. Samuel,sanders,and bourne.

Kc had 3. Hill,Watkins,hardman.

Minny had 2 and we saw what happened to thrm against san fran.

We need atleast 3 good receivers and that shouldn't even be a debate.

The term “need” is so subjective. Do we have bodies at WR 3-6? Yes. Could they be upgraded? Yes. Is it a need? That depends on who you ask. It ultimately is answered by the Saints and what they have planned. I would have loved another receiver, as I do think we need to have stiff competition for TQ. Behind our first two guys, we have bodies that haven’t proven anything really. The depth could definitely be upgraded. I don’t think anyone can argue against that, but whether it’s absolutely necessary is another thing. Judging by how we got by last year, it seems we’ll be fine. I’d say if Harris can step up and be that field stretcher, we will be in great shape.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom