My thoughts on why a WR is NOT a huge need. (1 Viewer)

I think that any philosophy of "we are good" that includes Smith in anyway is starting on faulty ground. I have not thrown in the towel on him but at this point, I would consider further development by him Lagniappe. I'm done with setting up expectations on him.

We are good. 13-3 back to back seasons with a lot of points scored.

Hogan is the wildcard at WR. He might not have the top end speed like Shenault, but he very well could be our version of Shenault given the opportunity which he was getting until he got hurt. This guy forced himself on the field within 3-4 weeks of being added to the PS, then proceeded to take Carr's job and while he was playing was in on almost every big running play during that span. SP found a gem with him and we'll see more going forward.

Athletically, he checks more boxes than any WR currently on the roster outside of Thomas.

The primary four targets will be Thomas, Sanders, Cook, and Kamara. That's pretty lethal before mixing in other contributors and role players like Hill, Hill, Smith, Murray, and newly acquired Trautman, and seeing where some of the returning developmental players are - and Payton scheming to take advantage of weekly mismatches.

There's always room to improve any WR corps, but there's a lot of pass catching talent on this roster.

Why do we absolutely need a WR?

because there is room for improvement. Thats it. We improved but by one guy. We were not just one contributing WR short last year, we were two. And you have to expect that someone will go down so you have to round out the back end of the position too. Smith my click and be that answer but I would not like having to count on it.

Every team is key injuries away from a drop in talent across the roster.
True, but not every team had 1700 receiving yards and 149 catches tied up into one guy.

How sustainable is such an unequal distribution?

Didn't he have more than 100 more receptions than the 2nd best wr?

I think it was a need solely because of the kind on money it takes to sign a decent WR in FA these days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom