My thoughts on why a WR is NOT a huge need. (1 Viewer)

Mickey Loomis states weeks ago that they like the wrs they have.

Payton said before the draft that they wanted to improve Oline the most.

Both statements have so far held true.

If they like Emmanuel Butler and Krishawn Hogan as much as they say then WR might not be such a big issue after all.

That said I would still bring in a ton of UDFA wrs to compete with a guy like TQS.

Wait. People seriously think we need a WR? I thought it was just that this draft has a good amount of solid ones so they wanted us to get in on it.

Our immediate need for a WR to pair with Thomas ended the second we signed Sanders. Obviously, I too would ike us to double up in case one of them goes down and we're back to square one. But we aren't in need of a WR by any stretch.

thats very true but the ones that should have high expectations this year have more than a TQS ready to come in.

Sure, there's room to improve the position group, but I think that's generally true of every group and every roster. I wouldn't be against adding another NFL veteran and or young deep threat with better size than Harris.

More so, my point is that this team has a lot of receiving talent, likely as much as it has in any season, while being a perennial best in the passing game. Through the duration of the Payton-Brees era, I don't know that we've ever had a WR corps that really stood out among the deepest in the league. Usually there is a stud, one or two solid contributors behind him, and rounded out by a revolving door of backups and role players. The way Payton uses TEs and RBs, I'm really not sure it matters.

True, but not every team had 1700 receiving yards and 149 catches tied up into one guy.

How sustainable is such an unequal distribution?

Didn't he have more than 100 more receptions than the 2nd best wr?

Sanders is a nice addition as far as that concern, but a lot of it is Thomas is just that good. As an initial read, Brees has a lot of confidence throwing his direction and getting the ball out quickly.

I don't worry about the sustainability of it because I think Payton has proven to do a good job evolving and adapting from season to season based on strengths.

Sure, there's room to improve the position group, but I think that's generally true of every group and every roster. I wouldn't be against adding another NFL veteran and or young deep threat with better size than Harris.

More so, my point is that this team has a lot of receiving talent, likely as much as it has in any season, while being a perennial best in the passing game. Through the duration of the Payton-Brees era, I don't know that we've ever had a WR corps that really stood out among the deepest in the league. Usually there is a stud, one or two solid contributors behind him, and rounded out by a revolving door of backups and role players. The way Payton uses TEs and RBs, I'm really not sure it matters.

your point about use of other positions is a valid one. I guess the thought of having a Lance Moore or Robert Meachem tends to spoil one.

Sanders is a nice addition as far as that concern, but a lot of it is Thomas is just that good. As an initial read, Brees has a lot of confidence throwing his direction and getting the ball out quickly.

I don't worry about the sustainability of it because I think Payton has proven to do a good job evolving and adapting from season to season based on strengths.
Him being just that good is a large part of it.

He also led the league by more than 25 catches of the closest wr.

Sanders should be good for about 80 catches.

If cooks and troutman can reign in about 90 catches then they may only need another guy who can contribute 40-50.

The one good thing about TQS is that he shows up with TDS in the redzone.

It could be argued that Butler really is as good as they said last year but he is only a true boundary wr which is why Humphrey and Hogan were promoted over him due to the health of Ginn and Thomas.

With Ginn no longer in the picture this just might be Butler's time to shine.

He definitely showed flashes last year.

your point about use of other positions is a valid one. I guess the thought of having a Lance Moore or Robert Meachem tends to spoil one.

Oh, absolutely.

But watching this offense year after year, I get the sense that Payton sees his pass-catchers as a single group wherever they line up, and he focuses on playing to the current roster's strengths. Conventional thinking is a team has to have 3-4 starter capable WRs but I think he just needs players who can be productive catching the ball and he'll figure out how to use them.

I think that TQS is like Meachem 2.0. He hasn’t produced yet to say that, but he’s also been injured a lot. If he misses multiple games this year, then he’s done as a Saint IMO. But I feel if he stays healthy he can contribute as much as you’d expect the third WR should. TQS and Harris will battle for the 3rd and 4th WR roles and we can get some UDFA’s for the 5th and even 6th spot.

Drafting a WR in the really rounds would really to replace Sanders in the near future. They can always do that next offseason.

Good way to put it. I feel like some people forget how much of a beast Sanders is.

Not a 100%, but he was in and out of quite a few games last year, iirc. He goes down, this offense goes back to last years shape. Predictable and easy to shut down. WR is very much a need, just not a necessity quite yet.

Seems people have forgotten Emmanuel Butler and Lil Jordan Humprhries are both still around as well.

Not a 100%, but he was in and out of quite a few games last year, iirc. He goes down, this offense goes back to last years shape. Predictable and easy to shut down. WR is very much a need, just not a necessity quite yet.
I think this thought is very overrated. Before the playoff exit, we were scoring points like gangbusters. It wasn't lack of WRs as much as it was Brees getting hit from the interior.

1. We signed Emmanuel Sanders who is very, very good with some serious savage to him.

2. Tre'Quan Smith will be entering his 3rd year now in our system so he should improve on reads, subtle things like that.

3. Because of Sanders, Tre'Quan will now get most teams 3rd or 4th cornerbacks.

4. Jared Cook came on very strong down the stretch. So strong in fact that one dirty team game planned to take him out.

5. Expect to see Harris get opportunities a lot this year similar to Tyrek Hill's second year.

DL, LB and CB depth is a much bigger need imo. We got weapons...
And now we can add Adam Trautman to your list. We should definitely be more explosive this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom