My Tina Turner Appreciation Thread (Update: Tina Turner has passed 5/24/2023) (1 Viewer)

That camera stayed tighttight on them during the fast number then pulled way back for the slow piece
There’s really only a few reasons you’d do that for singer/performers and we all know Tina can dance, so…🤔
Yeah, that's called TV censors (which were still very strong in 1975), not a bad performance of choreography by either of them. Tv channels were only allowed to show Elvis from the waist up for nearly all of his career. Considering what Ann Margaret was wearing in that, I'm pretty certain that's the reason for the tight camera.

Sad to see an icon pass. The Gypsy, the Acid Queen, (for those who remember the Tommy film) is dead. Long live the Queen! :tears:

RIP

Strange enough I posted a cover of We Don’t Need Another Hero the other day in the YouTube music thread

It’s from a band called Ghost. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea but I quite enjoy their music

Last edited:
Both a fun and touching moment: Shortly before the 1986 Prince's Trust All-Star Concert in Wembley Arena, a large contingent of British rock-&-roll royalty jockeyed to get into a large group photo with Tina Turner. Later, a popular poster was made of one of the photos:

gettyimages-56037686-2048x2048-1-976x1024.jpg

Let's see who's in that shot -- most are instantly familiar, but there's a few I'm blanking on.

Back row, left to right:
Mark King (Level 42)
[Guy in shades?]
Bryan Adams
[Guy in white jacket?]
[Guy in black jacket & blue shirt, Brian May haircut?]
Joan Armatrading
Paul Young

[Guy in black T-shirt with white writing on it, looks super-familiar?]

Middle row, left to right:
[Guy in gray suit & tie?]
Elton John
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler

Front row, left to right:
Rod Stewart
Paul McCartney
Tina Turner
Phil Collins
Howard Jones

The "Brian May" haircut is John Illsley, bass player for Dire Straits.

Not certain, but I think the guy in the shades is Ray Cooper. He's a studio percussion guy who toured a lot with Elton John.

EDIT: Oh, and the guy in white outfit is Midge Ure, the lead singer for Ultravox.

Again not certain, but I believe the guy sharing a laugh with Joan Armatrading is Rick Parfitt, singer and rhythm guitarist for Status Quo.

Still trying to figure out the guy in the gray suit, but he's extremely familiar looking to me.

EDIT: GOT IT! The man in the gray suit is definitely Stuart Adamson, lead singer from the Scot band Big Country. - I had to go look up which bands were at that festival, and when I saw Big Country in the line up, I realized that's who that was.

Last edited:
RiP to a true diva
An amazing, complex life

Yeah, that's called TV censors (which were still very strong in 1975), not a bad performance of choreography by either of them. Tv channels were only allowed to show Elvis from the waist up for nearly all of his career. Considering what Ann Margaret was wearing in that, I'm pretty certain that's the reason for the tight camera.
note sure about this - the Elvis censorship was primarily an Ed Sullivan thing
And Laugh-In had PUH-lenty of bikini clad dancing
Plus this era was wall-to-wall variety shows which had dancing girls as a selling point
Plus American bandstand and Soul Train

The "Brian May" haircut is John Illsley, bass player for Dire Straits.

Not certain, but I think the guy in the shades is Ray Cooper. He's a studio percussion guy who toured a lot with Elton John.
Both correct.

I found a Reddit post with a cheat sheet for this poster. Top right is Rick Parfitt and middle left is Francis Rossi, both from Status Quo.

White jacket in front of Illsley is Midge Ure from Ultravox.

Both a fun and touching moment: Shortly before the 1986 Prince's Trust All-Star Concert in Wembley Arena, a large contingent of British rock-&-roll royalty jockeyed to get into a large group photo with Tina Turner. Later, a popular poster was made of one of the photos:

gettyimages-56037686-2048x2048-1-976x1024.jpg

Let's see who's in that shot -- most are instantly familiar, but there's a few I'm blanking on.

Back row, left to right:
Mark King (Level 42)
[Guy in shades?]
Bryan Adams
[Guy in white jacket?]
[Guy in black jacket & blue shirt, Brian May haircut?]
Joan Armatrading
Paul Young

[Guy in black T-shirt with white writing on it, looks super-familiar?]

Middle row, left to right:
[Guy in gray suit & tie?]
Elton John
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler

Front row, left to right:
Rod Stewart
Paul McCartney
Tina Turner
Phil Collins
Howard Jones
First row, yellow shirt is Ernest T. Bass of Andy Griffith fame.

Both correct.

I found a Reddit post with a cheat sheet for this poster. Top right is Rick Parfitt and middle left is Francis Rossi, both from Status Quo.

White jacket in front of Illsley is Midge Ure from Ultravox.
Okay, they're probably right about it being Rossi considering Parfitt from the same band is in the photo, but he looks a whole lot like Stuart Adamson.

An amazing, complex life
Complex is the word. Nutbush, TN to Zurich, Switzerland. I just admire people that can go on a journey like that which was not, obviously, unscathed but overcoming the damage and the pain to live a life you want. Maybe I should try that buddhism thing.

RIP, Anna Mae.

RiP to a true diva
An amazing, complex life

note sure about this - the Elvis censorship was primarily an Ed Sullivan thing
And Laugh-In had PUH-lenty of bikini clad dancing
Plus this era was wall-to-wall variety shows which had dancing girls as a selling point
Plus American bandstand and Soul Train
Remember how the Doors and their “unique, peculiar, singer/frontman reacted when they were told or dictated to by Ed Sullivan’s lead producer(his son-in-law) that the network sensors wanted them to remove the word “higher” from the song “Light My Fire” or replace it with something else like The Rolling Stones did with “Let’s Spend the Night Together” in 1966. Morrison and keyboardist Ray Manzarek acted politely and pretended to acquiesce to their demands, even though disobeying would likely kill any future appearances. Once is enough, and Doors and Jim Morrison particularly didn’t like American “overtly commercial, kitschy, silly” American variety talk shows of the 60’s and 1970’s, so once they sang it on national TV, they couldn’t stop them afterwards.

Strange, curious thing is that Tommy James and the Shondells performed “Crimson and Clover” on the Ed Sullivan and that song is FAR More LSD-influenced then “Light My Fire” was and will ever hope to be. Dick Cavett was likely the most progressive, edgy TV variety series host before Phil Donahue came along. Some will argue Tom Snyder was controversial but not really the man himself just some of his show’s guests and that they didn’t always behaved themselves and just came across as jerks to the audience and Snyder himself. He had a pretty tough no-holds-barred prison interview with Charles Manson in the late 70's where Snyder essentially called out Manson’s cult-like demeanor, attitude, and wanna-be messianic appeal shtick.

Last edited:
RIP

Strange enough I posted a cover of We Don’t Need Another Hero the other day in the YouTube music thread

It’s from a band called Ghost. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea but I quite enjoy their music
It is a great cover indeed....

Be well on your Journey ma’am. You were a force to be reckoned with, and that was a good thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom