My top 10 1st Rounder players Saints should take (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
After doing a lot of film study the past few weeks and reading dozens of scouting reports, analysis, blog posts, twitter exchanges, etc etc here are the top 10 players I think the Saints should take in the 1st round if they are there. Honestly, you can look at my top 3 as 1a,1b,1c ...I love all those guys A LOT!

1. Dion Jordon - I battled back and forth with him or Ansah. Both physical freaks, but completely different skill sets. I think Jordan can provide you pass rush and coverage ability, 2 things that are desperately needed for the Saints defense. He needs to pack on some muscle and get more physical at the POA, but this guy has all the makings of a stud player in the NFL IMO.

2. Ziggy Ansah - He could easily be my first pick. I'll be honest, I kind of have a prospect crush on this guy. I just think he will be a stud player. Yeah yeah yeah he is raw, but he possesses all the qualities you want in a dynamic defensive linemen. Power, speed, leaping ability, natural football instincts, aggressiveness, you name. He needs more coaching on the X n O's and will need to put in position to succeed initially, but I see him having an outstanding career. Only reason his in not at 1, is Im not sure I have the faith in our coaching staff to develop him. They would probably sit him on the bench for 2 years until he is ruined.

3. Sheldon Richardson - He could also easily be my first pick. Loved watching this guys tape so much I had to go back and watch it again, just for personal enjoyment. He is so active, so athletic, his motor is 100 and gets after it ever snap. Good in the run and can be an elite pass rusher from the inside our outside. I can see him doing what Suh did in his rookie year. I wonder about where would fit a 3-4 scheme, and if he can anchor when need be. But I love this kid.

4. Jarvis Jones - If he spine issue checks out, I would love him in B & G. The guy is a pass rusher, I dont know what more to say. He has the moves, he has the quick twitch, he has the speed, all of it. You put this guy on the outside and he will get after the QB and apply consistent pressure.

5. Bjoern Werner - I question is effort sometimes, but at the end of the day, the dude can get after the QB. Probably better suited for a 4-3 but I want to see what he weighs in at at the combine.

6. Sharriff Floydd - I dont expect him to be there but if he is we have to take him. Only reason he is at 5 is I am unsure how he fits in the 3-4. I believe he could be that 5-tech, and 3 tech in nickel situations. He provides quality pass rusher and anchor vs the run, has some nice hand moves for a young player, and plays with great effort. Tons of upside.

7. Damontre Moore - Good player that can probably translate to SOLB for Ryan. Guy can get after the passer and is good vs the run. Decent hand usage and can be relentless at times. I see him mocked top 5 all the time but I dont know. Wasnt blown away by his tape, but its obvious he is a very good player. Very versatile with hands in the dirt or standing up. Dude is tenacious as hell and would love him in B&G.

8. Keke Mingo - After watching a lot of tape on him, I really like him, but he has a lot of limitations IMO. I dont know if he has the frame to add the weight he will need to be successful. IMO he will be more of a package player similar to Bruce Irvin, which isnt a diss. Irvin had 8 sacks this past year, but got owned in the run game. I think Mingo is more physically gifted than Irvin, but I think Irvin is more flexibility to bend the edge. Still, Mingo would come in an instantly be our best pass rusher. And I think he has a good head on his shoulders and will work hard to be a better all around player.

9. Kenny Vaccaro - IMO he is the kind of Safety the Saints need. Elam is a better hitter and playmaker IMO, but Vaccaro is extremely good in coverage vs slot WR's and TE's, good in press and zone, good speed and range, solid tackler. All the things you need in the NFL from the safety position especially in Ryan's aggressive scheme. He is versatile and can play deep center field or in the box. He would instantly dethrone Jenkins or Harper IMO. Only knock is catching the damn ball!

10. Xavier Rhodes - I'd rather trade down at this point, but if we cant, I would love Xavier. Rob Ryan likes strong physical press CB's and he fits the bill. Long and strong, likes contact, and sticks to his receiver. He looks to win in the 1st 5 yards and smother his receiver. Not much of a ball hawk though and I am interested to see how he times in the 40.

The only offensive players I'd take if there are Joekel and Fisher...and thats if Bushrod isnt resigned by then. But we GOTTA GO DEFENSE RIGHT?!

I think there is a chance we could get any of these guys and I would be happy with all of them.

Why wait 3 years for Jordan to pack on 30lbs instead of taking Devin Taylor now?

Is it me or is the draft loaded but not w/ "surefire" picks. Not like last year w/ Luck and RGIII. I would hat to be the Chiefs.

I think we are at a good position in the draft.

After doing a lot of film study the past few weeks and reading dozens of scouting reports, analysis, blog posts, twitter exchanges, etc etc here are the top 10 players I think the Saints should take in the 1st round if they are there. Honestly, you can look at my top 3 as 1a,1b,1c ...I love all those guys A LOT!

1. Dion Jordon - I battled back and forth with him or Ansah. Both physical freaks, but completely different skill sets. I think Jordan can provide you pass rush and coverage ability, 2 things that are desperately needed for the Saints defense. He needs to pack on some muscle and get more physical at the POA, but this guy has all the makings of a stud player in the NFL IMO.

2. Ziggy Ansah - He could easily be my first pick. I'll be honest, I kind of have a prospect crush on this guy. I just think he will be a stud player. Yeah yeah yeah he is raw, but he possesses all the qualities you want in a dynamic defensive linemen. Power, speed, leaping ability, natural football instincts, aggressiveness, you name. He needs more coaching on the X n O's and will need to put in position to succeed initially, but I see him having an outstanding career. Only reason his in not at 1, is Im not sure I have the faith in our coaching staff to develop him. They would probably sit him on the bench for 2 years until he is ruined.

3. Sheldon Richardson - He could also easily be my first pick. Loved watching this guys tape so much I had to go back and watch it again, just for personal enjoyment. He is so active, so athletic, his motor is 100 and gets after it ever snap. Good in the run and can be an elite pass rusher from the inside our outside. I can see him doing what Suh did in his rookie year. I wonder about where would fit a 3-4 scheme, and if he can anchor when need be. But I love this kid.

4. Jarvis Jones - If he spine issue checks out, I would love him in B & G. The guy is a pass rusher, I dont know what more to say. He has the moves, he has the quick twitch, he has the speed, all of it. You put this guy on the outside and he will get after the QB and apply consistent pressure.

5. Bjoern Werner - I question is effort sometimes, but at the end of the day, the dude can get after the QB. Probably better suited for a 4-3 but I want to see what he weighs in at at the combine.

6. Sharriff Floydd - I dont expect him to be there but if he is we have to take him. Only reason he is at 5 is I am unsure how he fits in the 3-4. I believe he could be that 5-tech, and 3 tech in nickel situations. He provides quality pass rusher and anchor vs the run, has some nice hand moves for a young player, and plays with great effort. Tons of upside.

7. Damontre Moore - Good player that can probably translate to SOLB for Ryan. Guy can get after the passer and is good vs the run. Decent hand usage and can be relentless at times. I see him mocked top 5 all the time but I dont know. Wasnt blown away by his tape, but its obvious he is a very good player. Very versatile with hands in the dirt or standing up. Dude is tenacious as hell and would love him in B&G.

8. Keke Mingo - After watching a lot of tape on him, I really like him, but he has a lot of limitations IMO. I dont know if he has the frame to add the weight he will need to be successful. IMO he will be more of a package player similar to Bruce Irvin, which isnt a diss. Irvin had 8 sacks this past year, but got owned in the run game. I think Mingo is more physically gifted than Irvin, but I think Irvin is more flexibility to bend the edge. Still, Mingo would come in an instantly be our best pass rusher. And I think he has a good head on his shoulders and will work hard to be a better all around player.

9. Kenny Vaccaro - IMO he is the kind of Safety the Saints need. Elam is a better hitter and playmaker IMO, but Vaccaro is extremely good in coverage vs slot WR's and TE's, good in press and zone, good speed and range, solid tackler. All the things you need in the NFL from the safety position especially in Ryan's aggressive scheme. He is versatile and can play deep center field or in the box. He would instantly dethrone Jenkins or Harper IMO. Only knock is catching the damn ball!

10. Xavier Rhodes - I'd rather trade down at this point, but if we cant, I would love Xavier. Rob Ryan likes strong physical press CB's and he fits the bill. Long and strong, likes contact, and sticks to his receiver. He looks to win in the 1st 5 yards and smother his receiver. Not much of a ball hawk though and I am interested to see how he times in the 40.

The only offensive players I'd take if there are Joekel and Fisher...and thats if Bushrod isnt resigned by then. But we GOTTA GO DEFENSE RIGHT?!

I think there is a chance we could get any of these guys and I would be happy with all of them.

the top 3 of your list are all guys i wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole for various reasons but were never gonna agree on draft prospects anyways ;)

the top 3 of your list are all guys i wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole for various reasons but were never gonna agree on draft prospects anyways ;)
How did you feel about taking a Te in the 2010 draft?

How did you feel about taking a Te in the 2010 draft?

I didnt like it because we wasted our first picks on positions where we didnt have needs.

Liked Graham as a prospect but didnt like going for a TE in the third round after wasting our first rounder on a corner where we had our starters set and were developing decent depth (should never have let porter walk iyam) and a second rounder on a soft project OT so thats the context you need to see it in.

Is it me or is the draft loaded but not w/ "surefire" picks. Not like last year w/ Luck and RGIII. I would hat to be the Chiefs.

I think we are at a good position in the draft.

Thats how i see its. Everyone has holes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I didnt like it because we wasted our first picks on positions where we didnt have needs.

Liked Graham as a prospect but didnt like going for a TE in the third round after wasting our first rounder on a corner where we had our starters set and were developing decent depth (should never have let porter walk iyam) and a second rounder on a soft project OT so thats the context you need to see it in.
Just asking because your handle seemed familiar from somewhere else.

Who do you see the saints taking in round one? I honestly have no clue but I am prepared for anything with Rob Ryan.

Just asking because your handle seemed familiar from somewhere else.

Who do you see the saints taking in round one? I honestly have no clue but I am prepared for anything with Rob Ryan.

same guy prolly as i know you from somewhere else as well.

the two picks i love the most would be star (as a nose) and moore (olb) but i have accepted neither will be available.

With that as an accepted fact id love to get jones or mingo when available. Fisher would be damn sweet as well but he wont last till our pick either.

Jordan would theoretically be a damn good pick given the way he is rated by most guys but i flat out dont think he is a good prospect, well not first round good. If we go NT first round id really want to have chase thomas (or maybe brandon jenkins) with our third round pick quite badly

same guy prolly as i know you from somewhere else as well.

the two picks i love the most would be star (as a nose) and moore (olb) but i have accepted neither will be available.

With that as an accepted fact id love to get jones or mingo when available. Fisher would be damn sweet as well but he wont last till our pick either.

Jordan would theoretically be a damn good pick given the way he is rated by most guys but i flat out dont think he is a good prospect, well not first round good. If we go NT first round id really want to have chase thomas (or maybe brandon jenkins) with our third round pick quite badly

What dont u like about Jordan? Not critcizing just curious about your thoughts on him so i can go back to the tape.

What dont u like about Jordan? Not critcizing just curious about your thoughts on him so i can go back to the tape.

he is a bit soft, doesnt play up to his measurables and quite frankly, he doesnt look like the best player on his own team (kiki alonso) at all on his tape. doesnt have the production he should have given his grade. If he was a true junior with the same tape id accept it but as a RS senior he should be way further along by now.

more of an athlete than a football player to me

he is a bit soft, doesnt play up to his measurables and quite frankly, he doesnt look like the best player on his own team (kiki alonso) at all on his tape. doesnt have the production he should have given his grade. If he was a true junior with the same tape id accept it but as a RS senior he should be way further along by now.

more of an athlete than a football player to me

Thats a fair assessment. Kiki caught my eye when watching tape on Jordan. That guy is a beast! Why isnt he getting much buzz?

Your list seems to be in the norm of where everyone is projected. The Saints will probably be able to land one of them. My only question is: do you guys think that there are major bust factors in this defensive class, and if so, which players are the riskiest (I know that Ansah is the riskiest, because of being so raw, but still...)?

Your list seems to be in the norm of where everyone is projected. The Saints will probably be able to land one of them. My only question is: do you guys think that there are major bust factors in this defensive class, and if so, which players are the riskiest (I know that Ansah is the riskiest, because of being so raw, but still...)?

I dont know if there is anyone that is sure fire (ex. Von Miller). A couple of the DT's seems sure fire, but then again those DT's always have high bust potential. Star has a high bust potential IMO, which is why he is not on my list even though he is considered a top 5 pick.

I dont see much bust potential in Floyd, Richardson, or Moore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom