My top 15 Saints draft prospects (1 Viewer)

I disagree. Richardson is 6'4, 295. So he's definitely not too short or small. I do not see him playing NT, but I think he can play the 3-technique in a one-gap scheme. I also think he's capable of playing the 5-technique. In a 2-gap scheme, I would be a bit more worried. In a 1-gap scheme, I think he's an ideal fit and the type of player who can be very disruptive up front.

he isnt 6'4, he is listed at 6'3 which prolly means he is 6'2 although i guess well know come the combine.

the second thing to consider here is that with Hicks and Jordan we already have our starters pencilled in, picking another end would be like picking an ilb, its weird picking one of the few positions on D where we are actually set on

A good list.

But I dont get this...

How do you know we dont have a need for Guard? Doesnt it take 2 years for the average draft pick to mature. How do you know we wont need a guard in 2 years? I never get this misunderstanding people have about "needs" when they feel somebody is that good.

If Chance is that good he might not even be there...but if he is that much better than the other options, I would at least consider taking him or trade down at the very least.

If the talent level is not close, I just dont see how you can make a pick if you dont take the best player. Either take the best player or move down.

Sure "need" and "fit" can weigh into who you think is best or be the decider when they are close,. I just dont see smart people picking just on "need", when you are trying to pick a player that will be with your organization for multiple years.

[/rant]

That being said I like Dee Milliner.

I think the best player available philosophy is antiquated, pre-free agency thinking, because if a team is stacked at a position, the draftee may not start before he's eligible for free agency, so you often lose them just as they become valuable. I think with today's rules, the best teams put more emphasis on their needs, but of course talent level has to at least be close. Talent judgement is a gamble no matter what, so taking a player that one perceives as slightly less talented, but that fills a big need is a much better approach now than BPA. BPA was clearly the best approach when teams knew they were going to be able to keep their players as long as they wanted, but if a team is truly stacked at a position, which means that the team is comfortable with the salaries and ability to resign the players at the position, and the draftee would not represent an immediate improvement to the extent that he would start immediately, then BPA doesn't make sense. The draftee has to be part of the grand strategy, which is much more complicated now with free agency. Simply going BPA, even if he doesn't fit the grand strategy, is a losing formula.

This list is based on who I believe might be available when we pick. I know the list might be a bit unpopular but it is based on how I see things today. I know that might not be enough to stave off neg-repping; yet, I also think as scouts begin to go through evaluations, and that information is made available to arm-chair QBs, some unknown guys will rise while others will fall. Overall, I think the draft is strongest on the interior defensive line and the offensive line class is deeper than I suspected.

1. Dion Jordan/Sheldon Richardson
2. Eric Fisher
3. Dee Milliner
4. Barkevious Mingo
5. Alec Ogletree
6. Jarvis Jones
7. Kenny Vacarro
8. Sharrif Floyd
9. Jonathan Hankins
10. Datone Jones
11. Lane Johnson
12. Kevin Minter
13. Matt Elam
14. Cordarrelle Patterson
15. Desmond Trufant/Jonathan Banks

One player I am leery of: DaMontre Moore

I did not rank Chance Warmack who is my second best player in this draft simply because we do not have any need a guard. Same for Jonathan Cooper.

Note: Richardson might grade slightly ahead of Jordan for me, but Jordan's potential as a pass-rusher and difference maker as well as the the current makeup of our roster makes this a toss up for me.

***Please feel free to add your own list.***

Nice job, 60-M.

Lots of time and effort in this; can't argue with the logic. Well done. :cool:

:gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom