My version of "how the NFC pans out" (1 Viewer)

State Of Affairs

Just a dude...
Gold VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Ok.... I define the games for the relevant teams as follows... Should win (or gimmie), tough game (meaning no guarantees but likely to win) and could lose (meaning they play a tough team that is very capable of beating them including if the game is on the road)

1st two teams that are relevant but not really.... I'm not impressed with the Giants and I think they could lose to any team on their schedule. I am impressed with Phili so I don't think NY is a relevant team really and won't make the playoffs... Phili will win the east with only one team from that Division going to the Dance....

- New York - Jac, Was, at Min, Phi, at GB, at Was
No should wins, all tough games with GB and Phi being should lose games) I almost didn't even put them in this discussion..
Philadelphia - at Chi, Hou, at Dal, at NYG, Min, Dal
- They don't have any gimme games, two tough games with at Dal and at NYG and no could lose games... I think Philadelphia is the strongest threat to the Saints...
- Seattle - Winner of the west by default...

Now the relevant teams.

*** Our boys... THE New Orleans Saints: Dal (won) at Cin, Stl, at Blt, at Atl, TB
- Cin and Stl are gimme games and I know people will give me crap but I think TB at home is a gimme game as well if the Saints actually need the win in the season finally. Atl and Blt on the road are could lose games and Dal (won) as the tough game... So that's 2 tough games and 3 gimme games.

*** Atlanta: GB, at TB, Car, at Sea, NO, Car
- GB, NO and at TB are "could lose" games... I consider at Seattle on a cross country trip a "tough game" for the birds and a gimme with Carolina coming to their place...

*** Tampa Bay: at Blt, Atl, at Was, Det, Sea, at NO
- I think TB is solid enough to beat the bad team and compete with the average teams but not beat complete teams... 3 could lose games and 1 gimme with Seattle but with a team like TB, no game is a "gimme" but more of a "gimme" team they're playing...

**** Looking at the Schedules, I easily see the Saints over taking the Falcons and I see the Falcons lose Sunday...

*** Chicago: Phi, at Det, NE, Min, NYJ, at GB
- Like the Giants, I have no respect for them and fully expect GB to take that division over... I actually have more respect for the Giants. They will lose to Phi, NE, NYJ and at GB with a tough game at Det...

*** Green Bay: at Atl, SF, at Det, at NE, NYG, Chi
- GB's schedule isn't easy either... 3 "Could Lose" at Atl, NE, NYG, 2 "tough games" at Det and Chi and a gimme at SF....

As I see it...
West: Sea 8-8 or something... IDK or care...
Central: Green Bay 11-5
East: Philadelphia 12-4
South: New Orleans 12-4

Wild Cards:
Atlanta: 11-5
Tampa Bay: 10-6

When trying to pick the last wild card, I was actually trying to choose between Chicago and New York but after looking at their schedule I went back to the Standings and realize that based on schedule, I have more faith that TB can win 3 games then Chi Town win 3 and the City that Never Sleeps can win 4...

I have a hard time calling teams "gimme" or "should win" or what ever so before someone starts a debate on how I categorized the schedule, please take it with which the spirit was intended..

I will probably get a few thumbs down for this but I don't care. After watching the entire football season and all the teams this year, I really don't see any games as being a "gimme" game. We have the capability of winning the rest of our games, and I think by a nice margin in almost all, but to say we, or any team for that matter (except those playing the Panthers) have a "gimme" game, I think is a little dumb. Maybe its just me, but I'm a realist, and that's how I look at things.

Sorry, but gimme games don't exist in the NFL. We should all understand that by now considering the teams we have lost to.

I will probably get a few thumbs down for this but I don't care. After watching the entire football season and all the teams this year, I really don't see any games as being a "gimme" game. We have the capability of winning the rest of our games, and I think by a nice margin in almost all, but to say we, or any team for that matter (except those playing the Panthers) have a "gimme" game, I think is a little dumb. Maybe its just me, but I'm a realist, and that's how I look at things.

You should try reading before you categorize anything as "dumb".... I put the last line in my post just for people like you but I didn't think it would be the 1st response.... I just amazes me that you have to spend more time trying to word things in a way that guys like you can understand so you don't have to waste a bunch of time explaining what you meant as opposed to talking about the subject at hand...

You should try reading before you categorize anything as "dumb".... I put the last line in my post just for people like you but I didn't think it would be the 1st response.... I just amazes me that you have to spend more time trying to word things in a way that guys like you can understand so you don't have to waste a bunch of time explaining what you meant as opposed to talking about the subject at hand...
IF you don't want to call a game a "gimme" game, then don't. Its dumb to call something one thing then say, I really shouldn't be calling it that. Call it what you think it should be. Its like someone saying "I'm a genius, except I don't have a high enough IQ." Sounds kind of dumb. Right? Or better yet, it's like John Clayton calling Matt Ryan or Flacco elite QBs. Sorry, but its just dumb.

IF you don't want to call a game a "gimme" game, then don't. Its dumb to call something one thing then say, I really shouldn't be calling it that. Call it what you think it should be. Its like someone saying "I'm a genius, except I don't have a high enough IQ." Sounds kind of dumb. Right?

actually, just seems like you're to much of a shallow a thinker to just accept gimme as a game that a "top team" SHOULD win....

Hey... I know..... go start a thread about how there's so much parity in the NFL and no game is a gimme... That would be sweet.. Either way, I was trying to stimulate some thought on how the NFC is or will shake out and really trying to avoid semantics...

In this league you have to win at all cost no gimmes this is why every game on your schedule is the most important game of the season in the NFL.

actually, just seems like you're to much of a shallow a thinker to just accept gimme as a game that a "top team" SHOULD win....

Hey... I know..... go start a thread about how there's so much parity in the NFL and no game is a gimme... That would be sweet.. Either way, I was trying to stimulate some thought on how the NFC is or will shake out and really trying to avoid semantics...
That's all good, but don't call anyone a shallow thinker when you're the one who calls a game a "gimme" game and then says you don't believe there are "gimme" games. If you really wanted to bypass a quarrel over your choice of vernacular then do a little more thinking yourself.

No unbeaten teams.

I agree with the OP's assesment. After losing the game to the clowns, I don't see our boys losing to them again. Tampa won't play as bad as they did the first time around, but the game is in the Dome, and they just don't match up well with the Saints. Cincy is a mess and only plays the first half of any game. The Rams are tough, but there just isn't much firepower if you stop S. Jackson (something we can do this year).

That leaves a road game in the cold against Baltimore. Should be a heckuva game. Both teams are very good on both sides of the ball. Let's hope it doesn't come down to special teams.

Saints 12-4 at worst. Everyone else in the NFC has as tough or tougher finishing schedule. The clowns have the toughest schedule, IMHO. They have to try to beat the Saints again.

I agree with the OP's assesment. After losing the game to the clowns, I don't see our boys losing to them again. Tampa won't play as bad as they did the first time around, but the game is in the Dome, and they just don't match up well with the Saints. Cincy is a mess and only plays the first half of any game. The Rams are tough, but there just isn't much firepower if you stop S. Jackson (something we can do this year).

That leaves a road game in the cold against Baltimore. Should be a heckuva game. Both teams are very good on both sides of the ball. Let's hope it doesn't come down to special teams.

Saints 12-4 at worst. Everyone else in the NFC has as tough or tougher finishing schedule. The clowns have the toughest schedule, IMHO. They have to try to beat the Saints again.

Here's something I learned from last year.... I think its harder to play with the lead as the falcons are now... the pressure every week of having someone on your heals.. I remember last year, we were undefeated but if we lost one game, we would have been 2nd to the Vikes... At some point, I just see the Falcons hitting a slump... they're simply not that good... they are a solid team but I don't see them as a team that can run the table or even a team that can overcome a let down. I mean the 09 Saints were much better and hit a slump that cost them the bucks game...

The Falcons will lose to a good team or two and then drop a game to a team we don't expect....

But they get to play the Panther Twice,Seahawks, hopefully 1 of those two teams will beat them
I really hope the Panthers Sweep them That would be funny

That would be a complete melt down if it happened... I think the Seahawks have a chance.. Atlanta isn't as good on the road and Seattle is a long road trip threw 3 time zones. Seattle plays better at home (which most teams do) Seattle will probably need a win and be motivated. I give Seattle a better then average chance to beat Atl.

Probably the homer in me...

1 seed/Division winner:
South: New Orleans 12-4

Wild Cards:
Atlanta: 11-5
Tampa Bay: 10-6

If that happened, can you imagine the respect that the NFC South would have?

Man, I smell a couple of ambushes by Tampa Bay. They're a great young team to be reconed with, and I saw them rising last year.

I also smell an icy game up in Chicago. :covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom