My Views on Winston and Payton's Shift Yesterday (2 Viewers)

Even before the crushed ribcage Brees was having a hard time finding open receivers. Once Thomas went down it was AK time because that's mostly all we have at the so called "skill positions".

Harris is great but he's going to get killed if they try to make him starting a WR, Callaway will be a good 2 or 3 but he needs a true 1 to take the pressure off.

Hoping Stills has something left and one of these RBs we've picked up can produce and we get our O line back. If not Winston and AK are in for a long year.

Payton only has Winston and Kamara to work with out there. If you think about it, this is the kind of statistics Brees was putting up last year as he did not have Thomas at WR and TQS did not step up and Cook was productive but not exactly a viable #2 option (play calling could of played into that).

Now if you look at the offense this year, you have another capable signal caller but he is surrounded by young unproven players in Calloway, Harris, Trautman and veteran role players in Montgomery and Hogan and again, the only impact player is Kamara who has not been putting up his usual stats (play calling has played a part in that).

Payton is scheming wins yet again and depending on his defense yet again that's had its own share of injuries and unfortunate suspensions and has managed the team to a 3-2 record at the bye.

now imagine if the majority of his recievers werent undrafted

Saw a chart by @BayouSAINTJoe about Winstons stats. Judging from it the only QB more efficient with his opportunities this year is Russel Wilson. Im surprised Russ Ranked so low on passing attempts. I know he was injured in game 5 but he should be tossing 35 passes a game

He takes too long to process the coverage, once the play has evolved. If his primary is covered, his processing of who the secondary should be, slows down and he ends up holding the ball too long, thus allowing the pass pressure to get to him. This is something that has haunted him in the past and continues now. It would certainly help though, if the Saints had Thomas and TQS on the field. But that is wishful thinking, similar to wishing for Davenport and Kwon to be on the field together. Oh well. But for Winston, he is not having a bad year, if you go by TD/int ratio, which was one of his main issues. Also good for him this year, is when those INT’s are happening. The Carolina game was just flat out a horrendous situation, with the COVID issues of the coaches and coming off an away home game and second week away from all of the team being away from home due to Ida. I give Winston a pass in the Carolina game, just like I do with the rest of the players. All said, he is the best we have ATM and we need to stay behind him and hope when Thomas and TQS both return, Winston will only get better. But the Thomas and TQS thing, I have very little hope, either will be playing for the Saints again.
If we had guys running wide open, I'd agree with you.
Watch pass plays all game, everyone is covered.

He's reading the field one side at a time, which is just fine for going through your progressions. The problem is, the typical play breaks down like this:
WR1 is covered
WR2 is covered
WR3 and WR4 are running wrong routes and 2 yards separated from each other.

Kamara is open in the flats just about the time you've got somebody barreling down on you because our guard play hasn't been all that great.

Has he made the perfect decision on every throw, every play? No, but who is asking that of him?

The plays all look the same, our offense is trying to come together as a unit down 6-7 starters.
Guys get open about the time one lineman doesn't do his job, or pass protection holds up and no one is open.

It will get there.

Montgomery and Winston seem to be developing chemistry and Callaway has become a great safety blanket.
Our WR's have to stop rounding off their routes and get better at crisp, cut, route running. They have to start getting separation.

If we had guys running wide open, I'd agree with you.
Watch pass plays all game, everyone is covered.

He's reading the field one side at a time, which is just fine for going through your progressions. The problem is, the typical play breaks down like this:
WR1 is covered
WR2 is covered
WR3 and WR4 are running wrong routes and 2 yards separated from each other.

Kamara is open in the flats just about the time you've got somebody barreling down on you because our guard play hasn't been all that great.

Has he made the perfect decision on every throw, every play? No, but who is asking that of him?

The plays all look the same, our offense is trying to come together as a unit down 6-7 starters.
Guys get open about the time one lineman doesn't do his job, or pass protection holds up and no one is open.

It will get there.

Montgomery and Winston seem to be developing chemistry and Callaway has become a great safety blanket.
Our WR's have to stop rounding off their routes and get better at crisp, cut, route running. They have to start getting separation.
I think his progressions may look slow at times because he's being very cautious with the ball. Hopefully, guys coming back will give him better targets.

I think his progressions may look slow at times because he's being very cautious with the ball. Hopefully, guys coming back will give him better targets.
Get your clownface reactions ready...Maybe his progression reading is slower than Drew's because he has more field to read than Drew had to these last coupla years.

And Sean needs to stop lining the WRs up so tight to the OLine...makes determining whos coming v who's not harder to diagnose pre-snap

Get your clownface reactions ready...Maybe his progression reading is slower than Drew's because he has more field to read than Drew had to these last coupla years.

And Sean needs to stop lining the WRs up so tight to the OLine...makes determining whos coming v who's not harder to diagnose pre-snap
It's all good. As I said in another thread, Jameis is faced with a very high level of scrutiny to the point where he almost has to win at least one ring to be viewed successfully. He was replaced by Brady and is following Drew. It will not be easy but I think he has the potential to be an elite QB. I'm aware of all the noise and criticism but ain't nothing better in this world than proving your doubters wrong.

Honestly, whenever I see someone comparing Brees to Winston, I can only assume Brees is the only Saints QB they've ever experienced aside from the smattering of Teddy Two Gloves and Taysom Hill the past couple seasons. Brees is the standard for accuracy and timing FOR A REASON. Passers like him are generational. The only three close to his level or possibly slightly better in my lifetime have been Marino, Peyton Manning, and TB12. Do I expect Winston to play to Brees level of incredible accuracy and anticipation? Hell no. Few can. What I want of and for Jameis is for him to play up to his abilities and talent and be the best Saints QB not named Brees.

Honestly, whenever I see someone comparing Brees to Winston, I can only assume Brees is the only Saints QB they've ever experienced aside from the smattering of Teddy Two Gloves and Taysom Hill the past couple seasons. Brees is the standard for accuracy and timing FOR A REASON. Passers like him are generational. The only three close to his level or possibly slightly better in my lifetime have been Marino, Peyton Manning, and TB12. Do I expect Winston to play to Brees level of incredible accuracy and anticipation? Hell no. Few can. What I want of and for Jameis is for him to play up to his abilities and talent and be the best Saints QB not named Brees.
I think he needs to embrace the challenge if he truly wants to be great. The chances of him achieving that are very slim but if he can get anywhere near to the Brees standard we will have an elite QB. I think a lot of people underestimate how hard he has worked to get to this stage, just like a lot of people are quick to say "there's the old Jameis" when he makes a mistake instead of acknowledging the growth.

He's not taking any unnecessary chances. That's being coached into him. I'm like you I think he'd be willing to throw the ball at MT when he has 1-2 yards of separation because he knows he'll come down with it. The other guys he hasn't quite developed that trust yet. You'll see it on high throws to Callaway and Johnson because he knows they can get way up and come down with it.

Harris is a speed demon so he knows when Harris is getting close to the DB to let if fly because he'll come open.

The rest of the WR's aren't running very crisp routes and it's causing DB's to be draped all over them.

We'll get there, just a crazy amount of new targets. Too many really.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom