My Vikings are hypocrites (allegedly) (1 Viewer)

What's really ironic here is that the Vikings actually paid out cash for injuring players, which the Saints system rewarded good defensive plays.

What a joke the league is.

So True! I remember when the story broke and I thought to myself, "wait, I've watched every game over the past few years multiple times and couldn't remember one cheap shot by one our players. I knew it was all BS. The film doesn't lie.

I always thought that the Saints were basically used as a convenient whipping boy by the league and the media.

I may be one of the few rational Vikings fans in this case...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is refreshing to hear after how much trash we, as Saints fan, have taken especially from Vikings fans over the past few years. Thank you for this :9:

Word was there was already friction between Payton and Goodell and the Saints front office prior to the bounty gate, so when it broke Goodell turned the screws a few extra turns to put the Saints in their place.

I think Payton said some things on the air about officiating, and I think he wrote to the league to protest bad officiating after just about every game. I think that landed him in Goodell's dog house, and probably on the radar of some of the officials too.

It certainly wasn't principles before the team, it was more like principles for the team. Significant difference. It's pretty obvious the Saints and most of the players were 100% in Payton's corner the entire time.

Understood, and I partly agree. Most coaches will do anything to win, even underhanded or illegal acts. (if the likelihood of being caught are very low)

Sometimes doing the right and moral thing short term can have unintended consequences down the road. Who could have anticipated that Goody would mete out such unprecedented sanctions?

I think the shouting matches are part of the reason the punishment was so great.

I always thought that the Saints were basically used as a convenient whipping boy by the league and the media.

I may be one of the few rational Vikings fans in this case...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very refreshing to hear this from a Vikes fan. Yeah, there is no denying we kept up a pay-for-play program and got busted. If the NFL had handed down appropriate punishment, fines, etc., it would have been a small black eye and been forgotten. Instead, we were the scapegoat for the concussion lawsuits. Goodell's plan was to hide behind the CBA and not have to reveal his "mountain of evidence." Well, Vilma's lawsuit changed that and it was disgraceful to watch the NFL scramble to manufacture and assemble evidence they supposedly already had. And then get called on multiple lies about said "evidence." All the while, the media and the 31 other fanbases bought into it, mostly because they wanted to. I mean, it wasn't their team. Enough ranting about that.

That epic NFCCG was brutal and exhausting to watch. A lot of bad blood developed between our fanbases over that game. The officiating was bad throughout - most of regulation time, I feel the Saints got the short end and in OT the Saints got the benefit of the doubt calls and that is what most remember. The stats were skewed but that had a lot to do with turnovers and special teams play that gave the Saints shorter fields. Overall, though, the Vikes played a better game. It came down to the plethora of turnovers and the ill-fated 12 men in the huddle mistake. If I were a Vike fan I would have been devastated by the blown opportunity, as many were. But it came down to the Saints hanging tough, causing some turnovers and making the most of the opportunities. Great game. I guess after losing two playoff games to the Vikes, it was finally our turn.

I think Payton said some things on the air about officiating, and I think he wrote to the league to protest bad officiating after just about every game. I think that landed him in Goodell's dog house, and probably on the radar of some of the officials too.

I think it goes back to the press conference the morning after the Super Bowl. Goodell looks like a store mannequin in his suit and Sean is just in from a night out partying. "Protecting the shield".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom