My Weekly Mock (2 Viewers)

whodat4life84

Very Banned
Reaction score
Chris Ivory traded for 4th round pick (New York Jets)
Roman Harper traded for 5th round pick (Tennessee Titans)
First round trade with Minnesota Vikings---they select Cordarelle Patterson (WR-UTenn)
-We get their 1st and 2nd round picks

1st round (#23) – Kenny Vacarro (Texas)
2nd round – Jesse Williams NT (Alabama)
3rd round – Terron Armstead OT (Ark-PB)
4th round – Jordan Reed TE (Florida)
4th round – Devin Taylor DE (South Carolina)
5th round – Jon Bostic ILB (Florida)
5th round – Ace Sanders WR (South Carolina)
6th round - Quanterus Smith OLB (Western Kentucky)

***Sign Ed Reed to come take over at FS, move MJ back over to CB

1st Round – Kenny Vacarro - 2013 NFL Draft Profile: Texas - Kenny Vaccaro - YouTube

Strengths: Prototypical size and build for the position. Possesses a high-cut frame with good overall musculature. Shows very good straight-line speed, agility, balance and hip flexibility. Athleticism for coverage duties are enhanced by Vaccaro's vision and instincts. Quickly locates the ball and shows an understanding of route-progression, rarely getting caught out of position. Often asked to drop down from his free safety position to cover the slot, demonstrating a smooth backpedal, hip turn and the burst out of his breaks to stay in the hip pocket of his opponent. Hasn't generated the number of interceptions of prior UT defensive backs, but has good ball skills and showed greater willingness to jump routes as a senior. Highly aggressive run defender. Flies to the line in run support, demonstrating a physical pop and generally reliable open-field tackling skills. Possesses the long, strong arms for the drag-down tackle, as well as good closing speed in pursuit and on the occasional blitz.

Weaknesses: Can get out of control in his aggression toward the line of scrimmage. Will duck his head in his attempt to make the big hit and leave cut-back lanes for patient, explosive runners to take full advantage. Must do a better job of wrapping up, rather than leading with his shoulder.Hasn't shown the consistency as ballhawk considering his hype, recording only five interceptions in 51 career games. Teams will want to ask Vaccaro about a few run-ins with authorities. He was reportedly arrested following a fight with another Texas student in 2009 and again in 2012 after failing to obey a lawful order, a misdemeanor.
Compares To: Eric Weddle, FS, San Diego Chargers -- Like the highly instinctive and versatile Weddle, Vaccaro has the athleticism and size to line up wherever his NFL team needs him most. Vaccaro hasn't yet shown the same ball skills as the Chargers' Pro Bowler but showed signs of improving in this area as a senior.

2nd Round – Jesse Williams - Jesse Williams - DL - Alabama - YouTube

STRENGTHS: Has a naturally wide frame with relatively short limbs, giving him the low center of gravity conducive to holding up at the point of attack. Possesses unbelievable weight-room strength (600 pound bench press) that translates well onto the football field due to his use of leverage and surprisingly good technique considering the fact that he's a relative neophyte who only took up the game at age 15 and has played just four seasons of football in the United States. Has improved his use of hands over his two seasons at Alabama and has developed into a cognitive defender capable of reading the action, shedding the block with heavy, active hands and making the tackle in the hole. Has the length to play outside as a five-technique defensive end, a role in which he initially played during his junior season with the Tide before sliding inside to the nose as a senior. Good phone-booth quickness and plays hard, competing to the whistle. Also served as Alabama's short-yardage fullback in 2012, a testament to his power and aggression. An ascending talent with passion and work ethic to improve.
WEAKNESSES: Bit of a one-trick pony as Williams does not possess the quickness or the agility to collapse the pocket as a pass rusher. Must do a better job of protecting his knees as he is susceptible to cut blocks. Too often raises his pad level at the snap, negating some of his power and making him all the more vulnerable to cuts, as he possesses only moderate flexibility. Has to do a better job of getting his hands up in passing lanes as he rarely gets home as a pass rusher (just three passes broken up in 25 career starts at Alabama). Plays with good effort but lacks lateral agility and struggles to knock down ballcarriers with any room to maneuver.
COMPARES TO: Vince Wilfork, New England Patriots -- Like the Patriots' run-stuffing nose guard, Williams isn't going to pressure the quarterback often but his size and strength will make him a force in the middle.

3rd Round – Terron Armstead - OT Terron Armstead NFL Combine Highlights - YouTube
Terron Armstead vs Alabama State 2012 - YouTube

STRENGTHS: Remarkable athlete. Lines up at left tackle but has the athleticism to consider as a tackle-eligible pass-catcher. Good burst off the snap and accelerates quickly, making him an ideal fit in a zone-blocking offense which requires blocking on the move and releasing to the second level. Flashes great explosiveness with a powerful initial pop to the defender. Good balance. Plays on the balls of his feet and his knees bent, showing the ability to adjust to oncoming pass rushers and mirroring them throughout the play. Very intelligent. An Industrial Technology (IT) major who will graduate this summer.
WEAKNESSES: A better athlete than football player, at this time. Possesses excellent speed but too often gets to the second level only to lose sight of his target. Provides an explosive pop but needs to improve his upper body and hand strength to latch on and sustain his blocks. Does not do a good enough job of finishing blocks at the SWAC level. Struggled a bit anchoring against powerful rushers at the East-West and Senior Bowl. Possesses obvious upside but might need a year in the weight room to compete at the NFL level.
Compares to: Joe Staley, OT, San Francisco 49ers -- Savvy scouts had been watching Staley dominate the MAC for years but he didn't really begin earning national attention until a strong effort at the Senior Bowl and dazzling workout at the 2007 Combine. Should Armstead commit to the game with the intensity that Staley has, he too could wind up emerging as an upper-echelon blindside tackle in the NFL.

4th Round – Jordan Reed – Jordan Reed Great Catch, Loses Helmet vs Kentucky - YouTube
Jordan Reed vs Texas A&M 2012 - YouTube
STRENGTHS: Reed is a fluid and flexible athlete with smooth body control and controlled balance. He flashes WR moves after the catch with quick, elusive feet and deceiving speed to run away from defenders. Reed shows smooth athleticism in his routes, creating separation with sharp footwork and quick body movements. He has reliable hands and does a nice job holding onto the ball after a big hit, proving his ability and toughness over the middle of the field. Reed shows a very good feel for his surroundings with a savvy ability to find open spots in coverage. He flashes some power with the ability to lower his pads through contact and pick up yards after contact. He also has versatile experience as a former QB with 14 total touchdowns (6 receiving, 5 rushing and 3 passing) the past three seasons. He blossomed as a junior in 2012, leading all SEC TEs in catches (45).
WEAKNESSES: Lacks an ideal frame with only average height and build for the position and needs to continue to add bulk to his body. He has room to improve his route-running and needs to continue to develop his receiving skills at the position. He needs to be more consistent as a blocker and is too much of a grabber in the run game, attracting holding calls. Reed needs to stay focused with too many false-start penalties on his resume. He has progressed immensely as a pass catcher, but will have a few drops here and there. Reed had a costly fumble near the end zone against Georgia that cost Florida the game and he needs to consistently hold the ball tighter. He has battled numerous injuries over his career and there are some questions about how his body will hold up in the NFL.
COMPARES TO: Aaron Hernandez, TE, New England Patriots - Yes, both grew up and prepped in Connecticut before arriving in Gainesville, but the similarities don't end there. Reed shows the unique ability to create receiving mismatches as a "joker" TE against linebackers and defensive backs, similar to what Hernandez has done in New England.

4th Round – Devin Taylor – Highlights: Devin Taylor - South Carolina Football - YouTube
Strengths: Tall and long with freakishly long wingspan (87"). Long-striding athlete. Very good straight-line speed for his size with good chase skills. Experience standing up and dropping in coverage as well as in a 3-point stance at defensive end. Nice job holding the edge against the run and keeps his eyes elevated. Usually plays smart with good recognition skills, displaying very good discipline. Doesn't quit and will make plays downfield or away from the line of scrimmage. Get his hands up to deflect passes (18 career passes defended including a pair of interceptions). Good experience as a four-year SEC starter.
Weaknesses: Not a quick-twitch athlete and little snap explosion, especially with his hand on the ground. Tight hips, ankles and lacks natural fluidity to burst to the play, struggling to smoothly redirect. Lean-muscled and will get pushed around, lacking natural power on his frame.
Lacks a feisty temperament and would like to see more of a sense of urgency from him. Good length but needs to generate more power from his upper body. Lacks ideal bulk and might be tapped out in terms of growth potential. Too lethargic at times and doesn't always finish. Declining production the past few years is a red flag.

5th Round – Jon Bostic – Jon Bostic Big Hit on Teddy Bridgewater in 2013 Allstate Sugar Bowl - YouTube (think this hit would fire Goodell up? LOL)
Jonathan Bostic vs Ohio State - YouTube

STRENGTHS: Instinctive, physical football player who doesn't back down from a challenge. Reads the action well and is faster to the ball than he might appear on the track. Closes with aggression, bringing his hips and driving through the ball-carrier to flash the ability to make the big hit. Seems to enjoy the physicality of the game, rushing to take on fullbacks and pulling linemen. Does a nice job of keeping square and taking on blocks aggressively, rarely losing ground. Slides off blocks to make the tackle if the ball-carrier gets close. Good strength for the drag down tackle. Keeps his eyes on the quarterback when dropping into coverage and shows some understanding of route development, slipping into holes to thwart passing opportunities. Good ball skills for the position. Times his blitzes well. Natural special teams candidate due to his aggression, physicality. Vocal team leader.
WEAKNESSES: While Bostic is quick to take on blockers, he isn't necessarily quick to shed them. Appears to have shorter than ideal arms and will lose sight of the ball when battling with blockers. Appears to possess just adequate sideline-to-sideline speed and may struggle to protect the edge against speedier NFL ballcarriers. A bit stiff in his upper body and can be eluded in the open field. Relies on his eyes rather than athleticism when in coverage and will likely struggle in this area in the NFL, making him likely a two-down linebacker.
COMPARES TO: David Hawthorne, ILB, New Orleans Saints -- Just as "The Heater" has done for the Saints and previously the Seattle Seahawks, Bostic will make a club as an effective run-stuffing middle linebacker despite a lack of top-notch speed.

5th Round – Ace Sanders - Ace Sanders Punt Return Against Missouri - YouTube
Ultimate Ace Sanders Highlights - YouTube

STRENGTHS: Extremely dangerous with the ball in his hands. Possesses excellent stop-start quickness and lateral agility to elude making him a nightmare to tackle in the open field. Explosive initial acceleration. Excellent vision and feel for setting up his blocks. Patient, creative runner who is always a threat to go back against the grain. Good straight-line speed and shows a late burst to pull away. Shows the ability to pluck the ball from outside of his frame. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder and shows good hand-eye coordination and timing to make the diving grab. Good toughness and concentration to handle slot responsibilities. Fights through arm tackles and is tough to tackle due to his naturally low center of gravity. Doesn't back down to the size and physicality over the middle. Good bloodlines; son of former NFL defensive back Tracy Sanders.
WEAKNESSES: Significantly undersized. More quick than fast and is a bit of a one-trick pony as an interior receiver. Made most of his plays at South Carolina on quick screens, drag routes and occasional deep balls and is therefore lacking a bit in his route progression. Doesn't switch the ball to his outside arm consistently and will allow the ball to swing too freely.
COMPARES TO: Roscoe Parrish, WR/RS, Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Like the long-time Buffalo Bill, Sanders is more dangerous as a returner than a receiver at this point in his career. His secure hands and toughness, however, could make him a dangerous target out of the slot in the right offense.

6th Round – Quanterus Smith - WKU DE Quanterus Smith Wreaks Havoc on Alabama QB AJ McCarron - YouTube

Smith is tied for the lead in the nation with 12.5 sacks. He also has 35 tackles with 16.5 tackles for a loss and three forced fumbles. The senior returned a fumble 75 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter against Florida Atlantic. Smith started the season well with a three sack game against Alabama. He was destroying Crimson Tide right tackle D.J. Fluker. Smith's sacks have come in bunches this year. He has four games with sacks and six games without any. Smith had five sacks against FIU. Smith totaled 7.5 sacks, 38 tackles and 11 tackles for a loss last year. He had 47 tackles with four sacks as a sophomore in 2010. Smith would be higher in the rankings if he wasn't so undersized. Smith looks like he will need to move to outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense if he can't add a significant amount of weight.

Good draft, only thing is I don't think Vacarro will be there at #23.

I was thinking about the possibility of trading Harper and one of our running backs but not Ivory, I was thinking Thomas.

Ace Sanders looks a good prospect and Smith too.

Good draft, only thing is I don't think Vacarro will be there at #23.

I was thinking about the possibility of trading Harper and one of our running backs but not Ivory, I was thinking Thomas.

Ace Sanders looks a good prospect and Smith too.

Agreed. I was toying around with getting Elam or Xavier Rhodes there as well, but it would be awesome if we could get Vacarro as well, maybe we can get lucky! Elam would be just as good IMO, Vacarro is just a little better in coverage and has a better physical makeup (taller).

Agreed. I was toying around with getting Elam or Xavier Rhodes there as well, but it would be awesome if we could get Vacarro as well.
Elam or Rhodes would be nice and maybe end up being as good as Vacarro.

Elam or Rhodes would be nice and maybe end up being as good as Vacarro.

Exactly! I was tempted to go WR higher and try for Patton but we just need the pick too much for defense. I think if we get Reed and Elam/Vacarro and the rest of this draft, we will be in excellent position. I also thought about getting Chris Faulk in the 4th and putting him over at RT (if Bushrod leaves, he could be a LT as well). I think with as fast/strong as Armstead is though, he's going to make an excellent LT...but he needs to develop a little more IMO. I wouldn't be terribly upset if we took Armstead and Faulk to be honest. We HAVE to get better on the line. I actually think our defense is a few players from being very respectable. Our OLB corp is a lot better than most think, JG and MW are about to absolutely thrive in this defense. Our secondary is better suited for man defense as well. It makes the defense a lot easier to understand and keep up with. So many blown coverages last year because the scheme was odd and complicated.

Solid draft! I don't think the scenario you've outlined would play out like that (I don't see the Jets, Dolphins, or Panthers passing on Patterson for us to talk the Vikings into trading up for him, and I doubt they'd trade away their pick in the next round when they have two third rounders they could barter instead. Also don't see Vacarro lasting to 23, depending on his combine showing he could be a top 15 pick) but I really like the players. Hopefully Kromer wasn't the end-all be-all of offensive line development on our staff, because I think Armstead would be a phenomenal player just off of his measurables, but he'll need polishing up in the NFL.

Great work. I like the guys you took, and your write-ups are great.

Hopefully my remaining comments are taken as the constructive feedback they're intended to be (figured it would be helpful, since the title implies more mocks to follow).

A few issues:
1) I don't think any of the other teams make those trades. Minnesota's not giving up a 1 and a 2 for a mid-round 1. They're going to ask for a 3rd back; might settle on a 4th if they're really in love with somebody at 15. Ivory's not gonna bring a 4th. Running backs just aren't worth nearly that much anymore, especially with his injury history and one-dimensional talent set. Tim Hightower brought back a 6th. Reggie brought back a 6th. I think that's about his trade value. And I don't think anyone's giving us a pick for Harper. He's a below-replacement-level safety with a nontrivial contract. If he was on a vet minimum deal, I could see getting a 6th or a 7th for him.

2) I like the guys you picked, but as of this early stage in the process, most of them are expected to go a round or two higher than where you have us taking them. Vacarro probably won't be there at 23. Williams might be available in the late 2nd, depending on how he tests. Someone's gonna grab Armstead in the second. Reed is likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Taylor, Bostic and Sanders may still be there when we pick, but they'd be going lower than expected at those slots. A few guys will definitely slide, but it's not likely that every guy we pick goes below his projection.

For the 1 millionth time. Harper's contract has way too much guaranteed money and will not be traded or released. I know most people want him gone, but its just not gonna happen.

MJ does t have the speed or the hips to be a corner in Rob Ryan's defense.

Pierre Thomas' contract is designed for a trade and the saints could get a low 2nd round for him. They almost got a 2nd rounder from the patriots 2 years ago. I think a team like the Lions or Packers would give up a 3rd rounder for him

I think the Viking trade is super high possibility, but no way Vacarro drops that far.

For the 1 millionth time. Harper's contract has way too much guaranteed money and will not be traded or released. I know most people want him gone, but its just not gonna happen.

MJ does t have the speed or the hips to be a corner in Rob Ryan's defense.

Pierre Thomas' contract is designed for a trade and the saints could get a low 2nd round for him. They almost got a 2nd rounder from the patriots 2 years ago. I think a team like the Lions or Packers would give up a 3rd rounder for him

I think the Viking trade is super high possibility, but no way Vacarro drops that far.

Question: If harps contract is re structured, can he then be traded, and what will the cap hit, if any, then be for us?

Way too unrealistic for me to follow, though I don't mind some of the players suggested. Some targets to ponder, but overall this draft is beyond a pipe dream.

Question: If harps contract is re structured, can he then be traded, and what will the cap hit, if any, then be for us?

It can be, but Harper has no reason to do it. Why would Harper restructure just so he can be traded. He knows they can't do anything with him because of the contract, so by not restructuring he is in control. The only way I could see him doing it, is if Mickey and Sean make some wierd agrrement with him that will keep him on the team.

The only way he gets traded is if the other team splits a percentage of his guaranteed with the Saints. But I doubt anyone would want Harper that bad.

Hate to shoot down another post, but this is also incredibly unrealistic. A 2nd round pick? Really?

Recent trades for perspective:
DeMeco Ryans for 3rd + 4th round picks. Top-flight, in his prime ILB, 27 yrs old.
Aqib Talib, for a 4th round pick. Troubled shutdown-caliber CB, 26 yrs old.
Vontae Davis, for a 2nd round pick. High-end starting CB, huge potential, only 24 yrs old.

Our 28 year old RB, who has never eclipsed 800 yards rushing or 150 attempts, is not even in the same league as any of these guys as far as value, not even close.

Pierre remains most valuable to the Saints playing his role in the RB rotation, not as trade fodder.

We would be lucky to get a 6th round pick Ivory. A 4th? Lol.....

A 5th for Harper I could see. But not with his current contract. Even if we restructured, no time is going to give uo a draft pick for an average safety who's contract will cause cap hell later for em.

I like the 1st round selection though and I see that as a real possibility.

Hate to shoot down another post, but this is also incredibly unrealistic. A 2nd round pick? Really?

Recent trades for perspective:
DeMeco Ryans for 3rd + 4th round picks. Top-flight, in his prime ILB, 27 yrs old.
Aqib Talib, for a 4th round pick. Troubled shutdown-caliber CB, 26 yrs old.
Vontae Davis, for a 2nd round pick. High-end starting CB, huge potential, only 24 yrs old.

Our 28 year old RB, who has never eclipsed 800 yards rushing or 150 attempts, is not even in the same league as any of these guys as far as value, not even close.

Pierre remains most valuable to the Saints playing his role in the RB rotation, not as trade fodder.

Trades are all about leverage.

Texans had no leverage in the Ryan's trade. He didn't fit the scheme and was at the end of his contract.

Talib was expected to be released anyways. The patriots swooped in and got a steal.

The Saints dont need to trade Pierre Thomas, that makes him more valuable. he doesn't have as much wear And tear. Plus his contract is super cap friendly. Added to the fact that a 2nd rounder was already offered for him.

I don't think we'll get a 2nd, but a team desperate for a running back, like the packers or Lions would definitely Give up a 3rd for him.

Ivory would have to be a sign and trade. I like all your draft picks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom