My worst weekend ever.. (1 Viewer)

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Last Friday at 4am I got the call.

My Mom was letting my know that my Grandmother had just passed away. She was 87yo. It wasn't very easy for any of us. In my case my Grandparents had more to do with my childhood years than my parents did. Back then I was definitely much closer to them than my own Mom. Over the years my Mom and I have reconciled our differences and gotten a lot closer but I never drifted away from my Grandparents. Indeed my primary reason for moving to Texas from Washington DC was to be closer to my Grandparents as they got older.

So Saturday morning my wife and I drove to West Monroe, LA and attended the funeral. I attended at least 75 military funerals when I was in the Army. I even had to present the flag to widows. However this was my very first funeral for a family member. It was hard. Really hard. My little brother had the hardest time of it but my older brother did a damn fine job of keeping the mood light. He would crack a few quiet jokes to the two of us. He was a godsend that day.

After the funeral the entire family (about 40 of us) went to my Uncle's cabin for lunch and general family stuff. It was a nice little reunion despite the circumstances.

Now the wait begins. My Grandfather had said over the last couple of years that he was hanging on so Grandma wouldn't be alone. Now that she's gone he doesn't feel any reason to stick around. She had Alzheimer's but still remembered him up until the last day. It was hard to see him at the funeral. His mental state has deteriorated over the last year and he has some dementia. However he was aware of what was going on. He told us to be good and be good to each other. I hope to see him next Easter but I have a feeling I'll be making another trip to Louisiana before then.

Like I said, the worst weekend ever. I'm getting over it. I just needed to vent a little...

Sorry about that man. At 87 I would asume she lived a full happy life. I lost my paw paw not long ago and he was only 64. Sorry for you loss, and may she rest in peace.

I'm sorry for your loss Rickboy - I lost my grandad last Thanksgiving, he was 93 and had Alzheimer's but it still was sad. My grandma is 84 and while she's been a real champ, it's easy to see how hard it is on her. I've just been sending her lots of pictures and video of my kids for her, and lately her letters and such have been a lot more upbeat -- she's even planning a visit up here for the first time ever. So, that seems to have worked for us...

The older you get, the more you see of this.
The worst part of life.
I'm not sure which is worse.... us going or others going.
That's why I dig the Irish way.
Celebrate what you got. Don't mourn what you don't.

Sorry for your loss, Rick. :(

I lost my grandmother 3 years after my grandfather passed on, and it hit me harder then I thought it would. We have had 3 funerals in our small family in like the last 40 years. I every now and then remark to my wife, that as time passes on, if we dont go first, we are in for a boatload at some point.

Anyway, I feel for ya Rick. my thoughts, and prayers

I am so sorry for your loss, I know what you're going thru. I also lost my grandmother last year and it was the hardest thing i'd ever been through. I still haven't been able to recover.

I'll pray for you and your family.

Sorry to hear about your loss Rickboy, I feel your pain as I lost both my grandmas in the span of 7 months this passed year. It had been 13 years since my grandfathers had passed but nothing compared to the relationships I had with my maw maws. I take heart that neither suffered long and didnt suffer Alzheimers like some here's have, but it wasnt easy no matter how long you know its coming because of their age(76 and 82). After the first passed I went visit the other and told her she better not leave anytime soon as I couldnt take it. Well it doesnt work that way. The stages Ive gone through lately is seeing them in the faces of other elderly women, especially at Church. One woman looks just like her facially and hair do. She must notice me staring at her a lot but I do take some relief that they are in a better place, even though it has to be away from me? I wouldnt want to be selfish because I want them back. Praying for them has helped, as well as whatelse can you really do at this stage? Time will slowly allow you to eventually see it for what it is. You will one day be in her place with a grandchild mourning you. It helped me to remember this has been the way its always been. Next chance I get I will obtain an indulgence for her.

sorry, brother...

I'm sorry - my last Grandmother passed on a few years back. She was 84 and had lived a full life, she quite possibly was the nicest happiest person I've known. I did not attend her services, I guess I just don't deal with those situations well.

When I was in San Diego a several months ago, I visited her grave and spent some time thinking about her, the influence she had over me, and of the happier memories I had of her.

I know what you're going through, hang in there man.

LS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom