Myles Garrett interview (1 Viewer)

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Man, I wish we could draft this kid.

Texas A&M's Myles Garrett talks Colin Kaepernick, Maya Angelou and dinosaurs

MYLES GARRETT DIGS dinosaurs and Dean Martin. He writes poetry instead of Twitter posts, having opted to delete his social media accounts before the 2015 season. He doesn't go to South Padre Island for spring break; he takes mission trips with his teammates to places like Haiti. He dreams of Texas A&M wins and archaeological digs, with hopes of embarking on an excavation after his playing days. Oh, and in his spare time he's college football's most dominant pass rusher -- a 6-foot-5, 270-pound behemoth who is averaging nearly two tackles for loss per game despite constant double- and triple-teams. The junior defensive end sits atop Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board for the 2017 NFL draft and is a virtual lock to be a top-five pick come April. But to hear Garrett talk about his future as he sits in A&M's football 
offices in late October is to understand that the best defensive player in college football finds the most value outside of it.

When Texas A&M beat Tennessee on Oct. 8 -- just a few days after Hurricane Matthew hit Haiti -- you sent out a plea for prayers and donations for those affected by the storm. When did you decide you were going to do that and why?

"The thought crossed my mind a couple days before the game, but it took a lot of time to build up the confidence to actually say it. That was the hardest part. Once I started going through the motions of actually doing it, it kind of just came out of me."

When you were asked about your public plea, you said it's important to "have a purpose." Where did that belief come from?

"Gran and Pop. They instilled in me: Have a purpose, bigger than sports, bigger than you. That was always helping people. It's not math, it's not science. Paleontology and architecture is a hobby, something I want to do for a while, but eventually you can get tired of those things. I can never get tired of helping people."

Given that sentiment and the current social climate, what are your thoughts on Colin Kaepernick and the stand he has taken?

"He stood up for what he believed in. A lot of people are making a fuss about him wearing a Muhammad Ali shirt, but Ali did the same thing. He had an unpopular opinion, taking a negative view toward the Vietnam War. But it meant something to him. He had a cause, he had a purpose and he wasn't going to defect from that because people didn't like what he said or how he felt. He was going to stand up for what was right. And that's what Colin Kaepernick is doing. He wants to bring attention to injustice that he believes has happened in the police force, and more power to him. More people should stand up and not be afraid to do things that mean something to them."

You've heard a lot of people tell Kaepernick to "stick to sports." What's your reaction when you hear that kind of criticism?

"He is sticking to sports. While he's doing that, he's making a name for himself outside of it. He's doing something that he loves alongside trying to balance being a starting quarterback."

You mentioned Ali. Have you studied any other historical figures who had a social impact?

"We all studied MLK, Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Maya Angelou. It was a lot easier for me to connect with people who are poets, who spoke through words on a page as well as got up and spoke in front of people. I love the people who spoke well about "It doesn't take violence" or "It doesn't take getting up and taking it by force." You can do it simply by making a stand and standing firm in that."

Has anyone had a particular impact on you?

"Angelou, definitely. She was so knowledgeable on everything: family, love, how you approach the day."

You have a wide range of interests in a time when many athletes focus only on their sport. Why?

"Why start figuring out what I want to do and what I like to do after football when I have enough time now? I know my likes. I can delve deep into those when I have time. If you're waiting eight or 10 years, that's eight or 10 years you wasted on just one thing."

I hear you're into old-school music. If you're picking a playlist today, who makes the cut?

"Journey. Marvin Gaye, he's always a good time. Queen. And you can't go wrong with some Elvis."

How much do you read for leisure?

"When I'm traveling for away games, I'm reading. When I'm going to the movies the night before a home game, I'm reading. When I'm sitting in my hotel room, I'm reading. If I've got some time after class, I'm reading. If I can get away with it while I'm doing treatment, I'm reading."

What's the usual subject matter?

"It can be paleontology, discoveries. It can be new finds in astronomy or in the world."

Let's play word association. Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind: dinosaurs.

"Raptors."

Music.

"Marvin."

Social media.

"Stupid."

NFL draft.

"Bosa."

Joey Bosa?

"For the longest time, I was trying to be a better player than him. And seeing how he's playing in the NFL, maybe I have to do it again and try to catch up. If he becomes the best, then I have to be better."

What do you want to do after football?

"Travel. I don't know where I want to start, but I know when I want to start: right away. As soon as I'm done, people who need help, I want to go where they're living. Just go with my family and friends. 
I want to do that as well as go on archaeological digs. And maybe the people who I affect will help me down the road on those digs. If it starts with one person, it could have a domino effect."

Very deep and thoughtful guy. Some coaches may see that as a negative..as he clearly possesses a depth that may allow him to question things...and coaches had to be questioned.

Good Find...Ty sir

He's gonna be a top 5 pick.

Will be way too costly for the Saints to move up to draft him... from all the way back at 32.

:ezbill:

Rankins isn't a social media guy either. Hats off to these kids that they can actually survive without needing to put everything on FB Twitter or Instagram.

no thanks. I prefer my defensive guys with blood dripping from his mouth and flesh between his teeth. :hihi:

no thanks. I prefer my defensive guys with blood dripping from his mouth and flesh between his teeth. :hihi:

Michael Bennett is one of the deeper and outspoken Dlineman (likely why he bounced around so early) Martellus is similar as a TE but they both play ferocious on the field.

Michael Bennett is one of the deeper and outspoken Dlineman (likely why he bounced around so early) Martellus is similar as a TE but they both play ferocious on the field.

I was just joking. I would love Myles. I love Cam Jordan but we need a disruptive force on the other side of him. Who else is out there that can give us almost the same production at a later pick? Come on Ellias. Dig in that brain of yours. Give us hope. That statement was off of Zombieland btw. Sort of.

No, Martellus is not like Michael and has a bad rep from people who have covered him of being completely selfish and a jerk, and not deep and as thoughtful as his brother.

No, Martellus is not like Michael and has a bad rep from people who have covered him of being completely selfish and a jerk, and not deep and as thoughtful as his brother.

Might be on to something. He is more wreckless with his words but you can be a thoughtful selfish jerk. being humble isn't a prerequisite for thoughtful or having depth.

Saw a recent article/vid of him having a fight with the the kid the Bears drafted in the 1st round their CB from a few years back. Edit (Fuller) Anyhow the kid grabs him by his face mask and pulls him to the ground.

Bennet gets up and immediately goes after him and flips him and ends up on top of him.

Handled it completely wrong but then....he was scolded by the Hire ups and his response was he could have broken my neck, im an important part to the team too and the higher up responds...well your neck would have just been broken.

That was foul and though he handled it wrong kind of justifies his emotion to the whole thing (not the reaction but the emotion)

I understand that he's thePED supplier for all of TAMU's sports team. Also, he smokes weed.

Lots and lots of weed...

very smart brother would love to see him in black and gold, but we'll win enough games to not have a chance.

I understand that he's thePED supplier for all of TAMU's sports team. Also, he smokes weed.

Lots and lots of weed...

Not just TAMU's teams. I read he's the main distributor to the state of Texas. Hell, maybe even the entire Southwest.

:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom