N. Iowa receiver runs fastest 40, ever. (1 Viewer)

This is an honest question. I don't know much about track and field, scouting, combine, etc..

When you're talking about tenths of a second in speed in differentiating players - is it really all that significant.

Do tenths of second in the difference in speed amount to comparing the performance of a Ferrari vs a Toyota Corolla?

This is an honest question. I don't know much about track and field, scouting, combine, etc..

When you're talking about tenths of a second in speed in differentiating players - is it really all that significant.

Do tenths of second in the difference in speed amount to comparing the performance of a Ferrari vs a Toyota Corolla?

I would estimate that tenths of a second differentiate elite from above average; average from poor, etc. It also roughly equates to the difference between positional groups. If an average WR runs a 4.4 these days (which seems to be the case), then a tenth of a second slower might be somewhere in the range of an average safety (4.5). Another tenth of a second slower might be in the range of a typical linebacker (4.6). Another tenth of a second might be in the range of a DE (4.7).

Just ballparking, but yes a tenth of a second makes a difference.

It makes a difference but a 4.5 guy who runs good routes will get open more then a 4.3 guy who can only run in a straight line.

So in some instances it's a pretty overrated metric. A 4.5 guy can play WR in the NFL assuming he puts the work into his game and be just as good as the faster guys.

See Lance Moore and Marques Colston.

As far as the technical advantage, I think a tenth of a second works out to several feet over the course of 40 yards but I could be wrong. I remember someone breaking it down at one point.

Regardless, he's fast. His production isn't that great against weak competition, so there's probably something else at play, like he's got bricks for hands or he weighs 130 lbs or maybe their offense was horrible and couldn't get him the ball. He'll get picked up as an UDFA and get his chance. I'm sure he's a project though.

Video of his run:http://youtu.be/HbW3gmqRA64

<IFRAME height=315 src="<a href=" width=420 http: target="_blank" HbW3gmqRA64? embed www.youtube.com>Terrell Sinkfield U of Minnesota ProDay 40 yard dash - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom