N.O. fishing spots?? (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
this topic has come up a few times, but since this board's here it might be a good place to compile that info

of course city park - but where specifically after the lagoon by the playground

where else?

this topic has come up a few times, but since this board's here it might be a good place to compile that info

of course city park - but where specifically after the lagoon by the playground

where else?

In City Park, the easiest (most accessible) spots are in Bayou Metairie, especially on the side of the park towards Carrollton. Other good spots are on the old golf course off of Harrison or Filmore.

I finished fourth one year in the Bass Fishing Rodeo but I can't tell you the spot :mwink: All I can say is it is on the old golf course and I caught four really nice fish in my first hour and had to turn one in quickly.

:9: will try it
thanks

Another area I like to spend afternoons fishing is in the old golf course. On filmore ( I think ) across from the horse stables there is an old golf course trail that you can follow in you car ( I take my nissan frontier back there, no problem ). Weave around the road until you hit the lagoons and explore the area. There are some great spots with large oak trees shading the bank that you can back right up to and fish away the afternoon with a 6 pack of your favorite suds.

Another area I like to spend afternoons fishing is in the old golf course. On filmore ( I think ) across from the horse stables there is an old golf course trail that you can follow in you car ( I take my nissan frontier back there, no problem ). Weave around the road until you hit the lagoons and explore the area. There are some great spots with large oak trees shading the bank that you can back right up to and fish away the afternoon with a 6 pack of your favorite suds.

serious question though i know it will sound ridiculous - is that area safe from gators & snakes? - when i fish i take my 4yr old and don't want him to get freaked out about fishing/spots

serious question though i know it will sound ridiculous - is that area safe from gators & snakes? - when i fish i take my 4yr old and don't want him to get freaked out about fishing/spots

I have only seen one alligator back there--I would bet it was some kind of released pet. There are snakes around occasionally, but I don't know enough about snakes to know if they are dangerous. There are enough spots that don't have high brush that you shouldn't have to worry about that though. I have gone back there with a friend and his six year old, and the kid does fine.

Those lagoons do have small gators in them, but they will not come anywhere near you. there is bound to be cotton mouths around as well. Again, they will not mess with you unless you step on them/scare them.

So, now that I live right by City Park, I've been thinking about taking my 10 year-old daughter out fishing in the park. Are there any suggestions on what kind of lures or tackle to use? The only fishing I've ever really done is for Reds and Specks out of Lake Bourne so I'm a bit lost when it comes to fresh water fishing.

So, now that I live right by City Park, I've been thinking about taking my 10 year-old daughter out fishing in the park. Are there any suggestions on what kind of lures or tackle to use? The only fishing I've ever really done is for Reds and Specks out of Lake Bourne so I'm a bit lost when it comes to fresh water fishing.

For your daughter, I'd just go buy a box of worms from Academy and put them on a very small hook under a small cork. She'll be able to catch perch and small bass. If you want to catch bigger bass, I've had success with the Berkeley Havoc Pit Boss--it's a soft bait that looks like a crawfish. I don't use any crankbaits or anything in there because there is just too much debris in the water so you wind up losing a lot of tackle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom