N/S: 49ers accuse Jets of tampering (rumor) (1 Viewer)

Mojomajik9

Team Gleason
Reaction score
The San Francisco 49ers, mired in a contract impasse with first-round draft pick Michael Crabtree, have filed tampering charges with the NFL against the New York Jets, the New York Daily News has reported, citing unnamed sources.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4491142

This wouldn't be the first time the Jets have tried to be a little sneaky like this, IIRC. Feel bad for the 9ers though. Looks like they just have to eat that 10th overall pick and that's gotta hurt.

I don't think the 49ers will not bring the subject to the NFL if they didn't have solid evidence. This may get very interesting.

What kind of idiot would pull a stunt like the one Crabtree has pulled, knowing full-well that his draft stock for the next season will be significantly lower than it was this year?

I suspect that something is going on behind the scenes.

From the way they are playing, it doesnt appear to hurt that much.

They've been playing great, but they could have landed another talented player at a position of need. I'm not a 49er fan so I can't say what their main areas of concern are (though I don't think Hill is the answer at QB), but even at 15-0, I'd be ****** off that we lost a top ten pick when we could have added another quality player.

Is there a compensatory pick system for situations like these? I think it's crap that players can do this, as it totally screws over the programs that are trying to improve through the draft. I think an extra pick at the end of the third round would be at least something to help these teams recoup.

I know its the 49ers, and a lot of us still hate them because of that whole "we couldn't beat them for the entire 1990s" thing, but imagine if this was our team. I personally think the NFLPA should step in and tell Crabtree to get his butt on the field or get ready to go work in the real world where people don't make millions to catch footballs, and have to work 9 to 5 days, and overtime, and fly coach, and drive minivans instead of Italian sports cars.

Insert Veiled Profanity laden comment here, Crabtree.

Is there a compensatory pick system for situations like these? I think it's crap that players can do this, as it totally screws over the programs that are trying to improve through the draft. I think an extra pick at the end of the third round would be at least something to help these teams recoup.

I know its the 49ers, and a lot of us still hate them because of that whole "we couldn't beat them for the entire 1990s" thing, but imagine if this was our team. I personally think the NFLPA should step in and tell Crabtree to get his butt on the field or get ready to go work in the real world where people don't make millions to catch footballs, and have to work 9 to 5 days, and overtime, and fly coach, and drive minivans instead of Italian sports cars.

Insert Veiled Profanity laden comment here, Crabtree.

Yes, they get a compensatory pick if he re-enters. But they'll probably end up trading his rights to another team next off-season. Maybe not.

Either way, Crabtree loses millions on this deal no matter how it comes out. He's an idiot and will always be remembered for his idiocy, even if he does end up playing very well wherever he ends up (as a poorer man).

Yes, they get a compensatory pick if he re-enters. But they'll probably end up trading his rights to another team next off-season. Maybe not.

Either way, Crabtree loses millions on this deal no matter how it comes out. He's an idiot and will always be remembered for his idiocy, even if he does end up playing very well wherever he ends up (as a poorer man).

Exactly. Hell, that is the only thing people remember about John Elway.

I don't think the 49ers will not bring the subject to the NFL if they didn't have solid evidence. This may get very interesting.

Not necessarily. Tampering accusations in the past have been brought in order to force teams to pass on a player. i.e. by suggesting there has been "tampering" and putting the Jets under the microscope you force them to be significantly more cautious and maybe even pass altogether on Crabtree. If they think Crabtree's agent is in fact counting on this, it also reduces Crabtree's leverage with the Niners.

Of course, that's only a relevant tactic if you actually think the Jets are actually tampering (since otherwise what's the point of making a team pass on a player they don't even want to begin with?) But they don't have to be able to prove it for the accusation to be effective.

IIRC, this is what happened with the Green Bay, Vikings, Jets saga a year ago, which resulted in Favre's 1 year exile to the Jets before finally hooking up with his preferred choice, Minnesota. I know this sort of "tampering accusation to block another teams pursuit, regardless of proof" has occurred in the NFL before.

Even better comparison is Bo Jackson, who actually did go through with re-entering the draft, and went from the Buccaneers to the Raiders.

That said, Elway and Jackson both had legitimate major league baseball aspirations (and Jackson actually followed through on it) to back their leverage up. Crabtree doesn't. Crabtree will straight lose money if he follows through on this proposition. There is absolutely no way to make up the lost money.

That's really not the same thing. Elway was sort of like the Eli thing, but they got it worked out and he didn't miss any time. He didn't cause a team to lose their first round pick for virtually nothing.

Crabtree is looking at sitting out of football for a whole season and then, given his demonstrated difficulty to deal with, because he is too much of a business risk and will probably not be picked in the first round or even on the first day IMO. Teams just aren't going to risk the negotiation that the 49ers just went through.

Look at the dropoff in guaranteed money in the first round and to the later rounds. It evaporates. I think he will play next season, but he will be losing a substantial amount of money. And then, if he has the kind of career like Elway had, we might remember something else. But history says it isn't likely. (Craig Erickson?)

Look at the dropoff in guaranteed money in the first round and to the later rounds. It evaporates. I think he will play next season, but he will be losing a substantial amount of money.

It's not even a question of him slipping in the draft. Even if he's selected #7 overall next year (the spot he thinks he deserved this year...as if playing for Oakland was some sort of honor :covri:) he can't recoup the lost money from the first year.

The bump in salary he could conceivably earn by re-entering the draft cannot outweigh losing the first year of a top 10 contract. He'd have to go like #1 overall or something, and even then I'm not confident about that without actually doing the math.

He absolutely will lose money by re-entering the draft, there's no way around it.

Even better comparison is Bo Jackson, who actually did go through with re-entering the draft, and went from the Buccaneers to the Raiders.

That said, Elway and Jackson both had legitimate major league baseball aspirations (and Jackson actually followed through on it) to back their leverage up. Crabtree doesn't. Crabtree will straight lose money if he follows through on this proposition. There is absolutely no way to make up the lost money.

The Jackson thing isn't that similar either IMO. Jackson wanted to play baseball (he had been drafted by the Royals) and the Bucs didn't want their highly paid top draft choice to go play MLB. Jackson went to the Royals and began an MLB career.

He re-entered the draft and was picked in the seventh! round. He was actually only picked because he had worked out a deal with Al Davis who agreed to let him play baseball, and agreed to pay him like a first rounder.

Too bad for Crabtree Al Davis already picked DHB over him! But it is always possible that some team will work out a deal with Crabtree before hand to eliminate the risk that he wouldn't sign - but even then he's not going to get the top dollar he was offered by the 49ers. You don't get top dollar when you're negotiating with people who are apprehensive of dealing with you.

It's not even a question of him slipping in the draft. Even if he's selected #7 overall next year (the spot he thinks he deserved this year...as if playing for Oakland was some sort of honor :covri:) he can't recoup the lost money from the first year.

The bump in salary he could conceivably earn by re-entering the draft cannot outweigh losing the first year of a top 10 contract. He'd have to go like #1 overall or something, and even then I'm not confident about that without actually doing the math.

He absolutely will lose money by re-entering the draft, there's no way around it.

That's a good point too - the lost money from not playing.

But I think Kiper is out of his mind when he says Crabtree is still a first rounder. He has no concept of how GM's have to view the business side of football. It's a lot of money and the single most important acquisition of the offseason (generally). The risk factor alone takes him out of the first round for most teams - especially well run teams.

Crabtree also realizes about where he'd fall on this list.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010WR.php

Then he probably realizes that the Browns, Lions, Jaguars, Bucs and Rams are in extreme need of a either a #1 or #2 receiver.

For the record, I think what he is doing is stupidity at its finest but I could certainly see him going earlier next season than he did this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom