N/S 49's will have 15 picks in draft (1 Viewer)

TCEd

All-Pro
Reaction score
Was just watching a video on ESPN about the 49's trading A. Smith to the Chiefs & with the picks they get in return, plus their compensatory picks (which can't be traded) they will have a total of 15 picks to wheel & deal... that's like a hole nother offense or defense & some special team players thrown in, how they heck does that happen??

I'm guess we get like 5 this coming draft, if that many?? Man, the rich just keep get'en richer....

link to video
NFL Live OT: Good Move For Both Teams - ESPN Video - ESPN

treeduck

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
There's no way they'll use all those picks on 15 players, they'll use them to trade up. Still sickening though.

PTisCruisin

All-Pro
Reaction score
Born and bred in Chalmette, but Katrina has me in
PFT says the 9ers are going to go hard on getting Revis. I say let the 9ers unload half of those 15 picks just for Revis. I think the Jets would just screw up the picks and the 9ers would get a CB coming off a big knee injury and might not be the same ever.

It doesn't need to be said but it's fun saying it -- Screw both the 9ers and the Jets. I just don't like either of them.

scott88

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
49ers will probably trade for Revis and have to pay him a crap load of money. It is scary to think of Revis on their D

GrayMatter78

aka Klenzade
Staff member
Administrator
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I believe you can only have 10 picks at the time of the draft.

PapaJoKeR

Reaction score
We should never trade up.....NEVER.
This has been my only real complaint with the front office since Mickey took over. We should never trade up or trade away picks for players in today's NFL. If the 49er's continue this pattern, look for them to build another dynasty in SF.

There is a model that has proven to work in today's NFL, keep a small core of really good players and then constantly turn the roster over with influx of 1st-4th year players through the draft. Once those players make names for themselves you trade them while you still have them under contract and their value is still high. Something the Saints consistently fail to do is to re-sign or trade players before they reach free agency. Mickey likes the rest of the league to set the price, I assume he does this to answer to Benson for the amount he pays players, or he sucks a negotiating contracts. I tend to believe he is justifying to his boss why he pays players what he does to keep them versus being a bad negotiator but whatever the reason it hasn't helped the Saints.

Everyone expected Brees to be re-signed before he hit free agency but instead we had to use the tag on him and it hurt the rest of the team. They had 2 years to get the deal done after the superbowl and they just couldn't. It cost us Nicks and he's a good example of talent we developed that we got nothing out of. The Patriots are masters of turning players that they don't plan on having on the roster into trades for picks before letting them hit the market and get nothing out of it. Point is we need to do everything we can to increase our number of draft picks and that has been horribly lacking under Mickey. Don't get me wrong it's the only thing I think they have done a poor job of since he took over, but they need to reverse the trend.

AgnesT

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
This has been my only real complaint with the front office since Mickey took over. We should never trade up or trade away picks for players in today's NFL. If the 49er's continue this pattern, look for them to build another dynasty in SF.

There is a model that has proven to work in today's NFL, keep a small core of really good players and then constantly turn the roster over with influx of 1st-4th year players through the draft. Once those players make names for themselves you trade them while you still have them under contract and their value is still high. Something the Saints consistently fail to do is to re-sign or trade players before they reach free agency. Mickey likes the rest of the league to set the price, I assume he does this to answer to Benson for the amount he pays players, or he sucks a negotiating contracts. I tend to believe he is justifying to his boss why he pays players what he does to keep them versus being a bad negotiator but whatever the reason it hasn't helped the Saints.

Everyone expected Brees to be re-signed before he hit free agency but instead we had to use the tag on him and it hurt the rest of the team. They had 2 years to get the deal done after the superbowl and they just couldn't. It cost us Nicks and he's a good example of talent we developed that we got nothing out of. The Patriots are masters of turning players that they don't plan on having on the roster into trades for picks before letting them hit the market and get nothing out of it. Point is we need to do everything we can to increase our number of draft picks and that has been horribly lacking under Mickey. Don't get me wrong it's the only thing I think they have done a poor job of since he took over, but they need to reverse the trend.
They tried to sign Brees, twice before 2012. HE turned down both contracts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DerrickB Titans Face Potential Fine for COVID Violations (Will Not lose Draft Picks) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
NFL Picks Week 7: Scratch and Claw Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CSC Staff Picks Week 7: Saints expected to beat the Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL Picks Week 6: Rest For The Weary Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CSC Staff Week 6 Picks: Saints on a bye, Falcons might wish they were Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Five-minute draft guide: Exploring the depth of 2020 class Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
2020 Draft Preview - No. 1: Jon Krawczynski on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - October 21, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five-minute draft guide: Major SEC influence on 2020 class Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
This won’t be popular [but draft Mac Jones to replace Drew] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 58
Five-minute draft guide: Big-name schools, big draft ranges Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB If We Have the Opportunity to Select One of these Guys in the 2021 Draft (It's Okay to Dream Thread) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Five-minute draft guide: Projected late-first-rounders Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five-minute draft guide: Late-lottery prospects Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five-minute draft guide: Consensus second half of lottery Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five-minute draft guide: Consensus top half of lottery Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0