N/S 7 Players Out Of 106 in Super Bowl From South La. (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Few swaths of land in North America produce more natural resources than the fertile triangle in south Louisiana bordered by New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Lafayette.

Fed by the Mississippi and Atchafalaya river systems, this unique 11-parish swath annually produces a bountiful supply of oil, gas, sugar cane and crawfish.

And now the region is gaining a reputation for another natural asset: football players.

A remarkable seven players in Sunday's Super Bowl -- four from the Giants and three from the Patriots -- were born and raised in this talent-rich triangle."

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-35/1201501266211970.xml&coll=1

-- Do ya'll think the national media will pick up on this angle?? The fact that 7 of the SB players are from the same relatively small part of the country- and most are starters and 'stars'- seems extremely noteworthy.

Last edited:

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
-- Do ya'll think the national media will pick up on this angle?? The fact that 15% of the SB players are from the same relatively small part of the country- and most are starters and 'stars'- seems extremely noteworthy.
No, because that's 6%, which is right in the normal distribution.

atceagle

BRING THE WOOD!
Reaction score
Not trying to debate the production of great football players from LA, but looking at the Patriots lineup(including IR and practices squad), they have 15 guys from CA, 8 guys from TX, and 8 guys from FL. 31 of 68 players(46%) are from 3 states.

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Not trying to debate the production of great football players from LA, but looking at the Patriots lineup(including IR and practices squad), they have 15 guys from CA, 8 guys from TX, and 8 guys from FL. 31 of 68 players(46%) are from 3 states.
Yeah, but what is the population of those states? I'd bet that Louisiana has the highest per capita.

atceagle

BRING THE WOOD!
Reaction score
guys,,I said I wasn't arguing the point that LA produces many NFL players, I was simply pointing out that almost half of the Patriot players come from 3 states. I just find that fact astounding.

Broad St. Saint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
No, because that's 6%, which is right in the normal distribution.
Actually, I think there are only about 3 million people in the area that the TP is talking about (Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans). That's less than 1% of the population of the country -- with 6% of the Super Bowl rosters. I think that's may be more than 2 s.d. above the mean of the normal distribution and thus significant under the t tests, though I'm not sure what the appropriate n should be here.

That is, I think we can reject the null hypothesis that SE LA doesn't produce an unusally large crop of football players.

snake pliskin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Louisiana is always one of the top two or three states in players per capita being produced. And I think the point of the blog also was a certain part of Louisiana. It's one thing to say a team has 8 players from the entire state of Texas, and another to say there are seven in this Super Bowl from south La. I think that is pretty remarkable.

TPS

Reaction score
Eli also becomes the 10th (of 84) Louisiana bred starting quarterback in a Super Bowl. That is 12% of the Super Bowl starting quarterbacks (we are 6-3 heading into this game). Most of the rest have come from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and California.

FWIW, the population of Louisiana is about 4.29MM. The population of the country is about 301MM. That's 1.425%. Clearly we are ahead of the curve. :17:

TPS

BigRonJon

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Fact: LA is highest per capita of players in the NFL.

per Sports Illustrated

no I dont have the link, only the issue.

Furor

Speak English or Die
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Eli also becomes the 10th (of 84) Louisiana bred starting quarterback in a Super Bowl. That is 12% of the Super Bowl starting quarterbacks (we are 6-3 heading into this game). Most of the rest have come from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and California.

FWIW, the population of Louisiana is about 4.29MM. The population of the country is about 301MM. That's 1.425%. Clearly we are ahead of the curve. :17:

TPS
Do you have the list of the other 9?

peytonknows

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Fact: LA is highest per capita of players in the NFL.

per Sports Illustrated

no I dont have the link, only the issue.
That was a few years ago and I think the last time was 2004, after (maybe before Katrina) I think Mississippi can now claim that. It seems to rotate every couple of years but IIRC Miss. is the leader right now.

TPS

Reaction score
>>Do you have the list of the other 9?

Terry Bradshaw (W Steelers)
Doug Williams (W Redskins)
Peyton Manning (W Colts)
Stan Humphries (L Chargers)
Jake Delhomme (L Panthers)
David Woodley (L Dolphins)

:9:

TPS

Furor

Speak English or Die
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Doug Williams (W Redskins)
Peyton Manning (W Colts)
Stan Humphries (L Chargers)
Jake Delhomme (L Panthers)
David Woodley (L Dolphins)

TPS
Ah...so he's the 7th.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom