N/S Alejandro Villanueva, Tyler Eifert, and the NFL (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Is anyone following these stories? As the NFL wants to feign social awareness they are allowing players to put the names of victims on their helmets (see the Saints wearing Jacob Blake on their helmets this preseason).

The league would like teams to come together and put the same name on their helmets (if they choose to go that route) as to keep with uniform rules. We all know that this is an empty gesture by the league (as every last one of their gestures are), but a couple of players went ahead and became fly in the ointment.

Enter player 1, Alejandro Villanueva. This man is the military. The NFL and players can say they are about that military life, Villanueva actually lived that life. Alejandro decided to break from his team (with Coach Tomlin’s approval) and put Alywan Cashes name on his helmet rather than Antwon Rose Jr (who the rest of the team decided to honor). Cashes (a black man) gave the ultimate sacrifice while serving the country, Rose was shot by the police. The team chose to honor Rose as he was an example of police killing black men. Apparently you can only honor one man, and Villanueva honored the wrong person according to some folks.

Enter player 2, Tyler Eifert (who knew he was still in the NFL). While Tyler’s team decided not to put names on their helmet, he decided to honor fallen St. Louis officer David Dorn. While no teams have stepped up opposed to this decal choice, some in the public view this as

What are the odds that we see about 20 more of these stories before the season ends?

Just another variation on the "All Lives Matter" theme.

It's not just about honoring the dead. It's about bringing awareness to a systemic problem to try to fix it. These other names distract from that message.

I think a better angle to look at is that I have seen no public blowback from other players. They are showing respect for the freedom of speech and expression of these players who aren't 'towing the line'

I take it as a positive that they recognize that free speech applies to everyone and not just those that you agree with. The public could learn a thing or two from them

I think a better angle to look at is that I have seen no public blowback from other players. They are showing respect for the freedom of speech and expression of these players who aren't 'towing the line'

I take it as a positive that they recognize that free speech applies to everyone and not just those that you agree with. The public could learn a thing or two from them
Free speech only applies to the government not being able to prosecute you. Nothing to do with bickering between civilians.

Free speech only applies to the government not being able to prosecute you. Nothing to do with bickering between civilians.

yes that is true legally but the term has developed a greater connotation in our society

Oh, no doubt the NFL is in a pickle with this one. It is a no win situation. If they took a hard line against all of it, there is player unrest and losing some fan support. If they cherry pick, it is not a fair standard and equal treatment and losing some fan support. At the end of the day, they are just trying to figure out what is the path of least resistance that won't make them end up in court.

Is anyone following these stories? As the NFL wants to feign social awareness they are allowing players to put the names of victims on their helmets (see the Saints wearing Jacob Blake on their helmets this preseason).

The league would like teams to come together and put the same name on their helmets (if they choose to go that route) as to keep with uniform rules. We all know that this is an empty gesture by the league (as every last one of their gestures are), but a couple of players went ahead and became fly in the ointment.

Enter player 1, Alejandro Villanueva. This man is the military. The NFL and players can say they are about that military life, Villanueva actually lived that life. Alejandro decided to break from his team (with Coach Tomlin’s approval) and put Alywan Cashes name on his helmet rather than Antwon Rose Jr (who the rest of the team decided to honor). Cashes (a black man) gave the ultimate sacrifice while serving the country, Rose was shot by the police. The team chose to honor Rose as he was an example of police killing black men. Apparently you can only honor one man, and Villanueva honored the wrong person according to some folks.

Enter player 2, Tyler Eifert (who knew he was still in the NFL). While Tyler’s team decided not to put names on their helmet, he decided to honor fallen St. Louis officer David Dorn. While no teams have stepped up opposed to this decal choice, some in the public view this as

What are the odds that we see about 20 more of these stories before the season ends?

20 seems exceptionally low, honestly.

So what's the issue with what the Steelers player did?

I don't see an issue with either. If this is an issue of equality then they should be allowed to honor who they want provided they aren't like a mass murder or rapist etc.. Both these men they chose to honor were upstanding Americans, one a retired police officer trying to stop a looting and the other a heroic soldier. Non issue for me and if the NFL fines them or hands down any discipline then that is not equality for all only some which defeats the purpose.

The bottom line is, the NFL is a microcosm of our society. No matter how right Or wrong legally or morally an issue is, not everyone is gonna agree with it. If an issue is immoral or illegal, no matter how many disagree, it still must be addressed. Look at the illegal and immoral crap being promoted and by our national government. Not to be political. I’ll stop here before I get banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom