N/S Alex Smith traded to Chiefs (Merged) (1 Viewer)

In the same breath you can ask how many QBs have been benched for Brady Quinn? Multiple times!

Troy Smith, Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan, Trent Dilfer, Chris Weinke, Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey, & Cody Pickett are all former SF49ers QBs who have started over your boy Alex "the savior" Smith. So what is your point?? Neither guys are any good.

Troy Smith, Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan, Trent Dilfer, Chris Weinke, Tim Rattay, KenDorsey, & Cody Pickett are all former QBs who have started over your boy Alex "the savior" Smith. So what is your point?? Neither guys are any good.

Now you are just getting mad for no reason.

If you read anything prior to the last post you would see that I said I don't like the guy, so not sure why you are refering to him as "the savior".

My point is that he is a far better option than Cassel.

Last 4 years, since that has been how long Cassel was supposed to be KCs savior, their stats are almost identical, except for these:

Completion %
Cassel- 57.7
Smith - 62.9

Rating
Cassel- 76.5
Smith - 89.6

TD
Cassel- 59
Smith - 62

INT
Cassel- 44
Smith - 32

So while neither are very good, Smith is better.

As high of a price tag he was willing to pay he could have traded with some other team for better prospect, or built a TEAM with all those draft picks and waited for a Franchise QB to come along, quite possibly he could have acquired a franchise QB in the very next draft. This in my opinion was a rash, very stupid move.

While I agree Smith isn't exactly great...What better prospect is out there for them to trade for? Mallett? Pats still want a second and he's barely played in a real game. Flynn or Chase?

As far as "all those draft picks", it's 2 picks. A second this year and a conditional third next. They were going to use a pick on a QB no matter what, so this year's pick is a wash. Next year's? Well, let's see what happens.

Troy Smith, Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan, Trent Dilfer, Chris Weinke, Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey, & Cody Pickett are all former SF49ers QBs who have started over your boy Alex "the savior" Smith. So what is your point?? Neither guys are any good.

Clearly you don't follow the 49ers very closely, and didn't follow Alex Smith's career very closely to make the above comments.

Year 1: When Smith came into the league, he looked horrible, he was horrible. He was a 20 year old rookie and was in way over his head. No excuses, he had a very good Off Coordinator in his first year, Mike McCarthy, but Smith was terrible, with a passer rating of 40.8.

Year 2: Smith showed significant improvement. Norv Turner was the OC, and he did a nice job of helping to develop Smith. The 49ers brought in Larry Allen at LG, Allen opened up some huge holes, and Frank Gore had his best year at RB. But you could also see the improvement in Smith's play. QB Rating: 74.8 ...not great, but clear improvement.

Year 3: 2007... This is where things got ugly. At the last minute, Norv Turner got hired by SD, and the 49ers couldn't find a replacement. Out of desperation, they promoted TE coach Jim Hostler, who was a horrible OC. Horrible. This was the season that Smith suffered a 3rd degree shoulder separation on his throwing shoulder, came back and played with the injury, and then was hauled up in front of the team and told by HC Mike Nolan that he wasn't tough enough. Unbelievable. For that type of conduct, Nolan should be banned as a HC in the future, and frankly, he has never been a HC since, despite his brilliance as a DC. Nolan totally screwed the pooch. Finally, Smith shut things down with the shoulder separation, and had surgery. Surgery revealed the separation to be even worse than anyone had thought.
QB Rating: 57.2

Year 4: Out for the season healing from separated shoulder.

Year 5: 2009...at this point, Singletary had taken over the team and installed Jimmy Raye as OC. Jimmy Raye is, quite possibly, the most unimaginative OC in the history of the league. Run, Run, Pass, Punt. Run,Run, Pass, Punt.
QB Rating, despite the Jimmy Raye influence: 81.5

Year 6: 2010...even Singletary could only take Jimmy Raye for so long, and fired him after Game 3. The problem: they had no viable candidate to take over for Jimmy Raye, so they turned to Mike Johnson. Johnson was in over his head, completely....just an ugly year from an offensive standpoint, extremely predictable. But, somehow, Alex improved a little bit.
QB Rating: 82.1

Year 7: 2011...Harbaugh takes over. At this point, just regular, competent coach would have been an improvement over what Smith was dealt over the previous three years. But Harbaugh is actually very good at developing QBs. Harbaugh installs a power running offense, and takes the pressure off of Smith and puts Smith in a position to succeed. Smith has a nice year. Ends up beating the Saints in the playoffs with two huge drives in the final 4 minutes, and then gets beat in OT against the Giants. Didn't play well against the Giants, but the 49ers WRs were completely decimated by that game. Ended the Year with a QB Rating: 90.7

Year 8: 2012...Alex has his best season....and gets replaced. Life can be cruel. Ends the season with a 104.1 QB rating, and completes over 70% of his passes.

Here's where I have a huge problem with those that constantly tear Alex Smith down: they completely fail to acknowledge the flat out incompetence and dysfunction that was occurring during the 2007-2010 period. This was not on Alex Smith. This was on Mike Nolan. This was on Mike Singletary. This was on Pete Hostler, Jimmy Raye, and Mike Johnson. (But primarily Nolan and Singletary as they were the Head Coaches). The change in Alex Smith's career is not only attributable to how good of a QB developer Harbaugh is (and he is very good in this regard), but also is attributable to how wretchedly bad both Nolan and Singletary were regarding their offensive approach as HCs. Frankly, when Singletary was named HC, the only reason that Jimmy Raye was brought out of mothballs to become OC was that no other coach in the league would take the position. Hell, Clyde Christensen was interviewed and turned down the offer if OC to remain the QB coach with Indy. He knew it would be a career limiting move.

So, to those who say it was just Harbaugh who is responsible for Alex Smith's improvement over the last two years, I say yes, Harbaugh is a very QB friendly coach and knows how to develop the position, he should be given plenty of credit. But don't diminish Alex Smith's accomplishments over the last two years and try to say that the "real" Alex Smith was back in 2009 or 2010. That's absurd. No QB has ever thrived under a Jimmy Raye offense, and none ever will. The man is a terrible OC.

I have a hunch.....Andy Reid maybe will be talked about as a genius for bringing Alex Smith in. Everything Harbaugh thrives to be....Andy Reid is!

I expect Alex Smith to develop quite nicely under Andy Reid. No, I don't expect the second coming of Drew Brees, but Andy Reid could make Smith a very good QB, who just doesn't make many mistakes. And if he does that, half of the battle is won already.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom