N/S Antonio Cromartie Released (1 Viewer)

There are better options out there if you need them. Not saying they're "good" options, just better options.

We get too enamored with names around here sometimes. There is a reason this guy keeps getting cut; he can't run anymore and has completely lost his quick-twitchiness.

I pretty much lump him in with the BW Webb and Sterling Moore type signings we made. NFL corners with experience, period.

Not trying to be disagreeable, but who are the better options out there right now and why haven't we brought them in on our Tryout Tuesdays where we update the lists of players to call in the event of injury? I'm seriously wondering here, not trying to be a smart *** or anything.

Obviously if Cromartie were playing well he wouldn't have been released in the first place, I just think we're so shallow at CB that it wouldn't hurt to have another CB with experience on the roster.

I don't think Folks understand its a developmental league. Teams hate to take away snaps from young players.

Thats why we allowed Jahri to walk to see if we could coach up Lelito/Kelemente/and whomever our draft pick would be

Same reason we allowed Colston to walk so those Snaps could go to Coleman and whomever our draft pick ended up being.

A lot of times these vets can still play but teams know that the future is typically more important so unless they are playing at a really high level....its more likely they keep giving the young guys snaps.

I'll get neg repped for my opinion but I doubt heavily they even sniff him. UNLESS they feel Crawley isn't developing.

I will say this we have been getting in a ton of development in our CB corps since week 1. It stinks right now but when we get the whole band back together next season we will have a lot of experience in there.

That said our BPA drafting strategy will likely have us passing on the much needed pass rusher and picking another CB in the 1st round.

Moore Webb and I would even say Crawley have all been great but is De'Vante Harris really better than Cromartie at this moment in time? Harris playing should be a scary thought. He has potential and isn't worse off that Stanley Jean Baptiste was as a rookie but he is not a ready for prime time player and with no injuries he is inactive or on the PS.

We would be foolish not to take a look your 100% correct on that.

Harris is exactly the reason I think we should at least bring him in for a chat. Crawley is showing ten times the potential of Harris right now and I want him to keep getting snaps all year long. I also want some depth so that Harris never has to be inserted into the starting lineup even as the dime corner. He belongs on the practice squad, not the active roster, but we're that beat up at CB.

While age might just be a number, it's worth noting that Cromartie made 32 this past April. And that's "32 with injuries and declining play in recent years", not a guy that was a stud in 2015 or something like that. He's recent enough for all of us to remember him being a very good player, so that might cloud our thinking.

Coincidentally, his age 32 season (2013) was when Nnamdi Asomugha also got waived for the final time -- during the regular season, no less.

I pretty much lump him in with the BW Webb and Sterling Moore type signings we made. NFL corners with experience, period.

Not trying to be disagreeable, but who are the better options out there right now and why haven't we brought them in on our Tryout Tuesdays where we update the lists of players to call in the event of injury? I'm seriously wondering here, not trying to be a smart *** or anything.

Obviously if Cromartie were playing well he wouldn't have been released in the first place, I just think we're so shallow at CB that it wouldn't hurt to have another CB with experience on the roster.

It's guys you've probably never heard of. Guys like Ras-I Dowling, Trumaine McBride, Tarrell Brown, and probably a handful of UDFA guys, etc.

Again, not saying these players are "good" options, just saying that if you sign Cromartie, you're only doing it because of his name. He is not anywhere near what he used to be and doesn't even flash. You may as well sign a young prospect you can develop into something.

The proof is there for us - the Colts are DESPERATE for cornerback help and cut him; that speaks for itself.

While age might just be a number, it's worth noting that Cromartie made 32 this past April. And that's "32 with injuries and declining play in recent years", not a guy that was a stud in 2015 or something like that. He's recent enough for all of us to remember him being a very good player, so that might cloud our thinking.

Coincidentally, his age 32 season (2013) was when Nnamdi Asomugha also got waived for the final time -- during the regular season, no less.

Yep....30/31 is usually when corners start to lose their burst, acceleration etc. and just stop being good. Their play REALLY falls off the cliff at 32/33.

Like with anything, there are exceptions, but Cromartie isn't one of those lucky few it appears.

Even Darrelle Revis is starting to get burned left and right.

This is a young man's game. A young prospect in his mid 20s is a better player for us to sign than Cromartie simply because that young guy can still run fast, jump while running, and his eye-hand coordination/quick-twitchiness is at its peak.

I'm not even an NFL player, and even I felt something change in my body when it came to athletics once I got into my early 30s. Suddenly guys that were in their mid-20s were just flat-out better than me at pick-up basketball games or flag football etc., and there was nothing I could do about it. It's a weird feeling knowing you know HOW to play better, but just can't.

Err, ummm.... wasn't Jason David the last CB we picked up from the Colts? :covri:

#NoThanks

:gosaints:
Lol so every Colts' corner is going to be a free agent bust?

Cromartie's career is just about over, but it has nothing to do with the fact that he's playing on the Colts. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

It's guys you've probably never heard of. Guys like Ras-I Dowling, Trumaine McBride, Tarrell Brown, and probably a handful of UDFA guys, etc.

Again, not saying these players are "good" options, just saying that if you sign Cromartie, you're only doing it because of his name. He is not anywhere near what he used to be and doesn't even flash. You may as well sign a young prospect you can develop into something.

The proof is there for us - the Colts are DESPERATE for cornerback help and cut him; that speaks for itself.

Thanks. I'd like to bring in McBride over Cromartie. I didn't know he was on the streets. I remember Ras-I Dowling from his draft year and remember him having some pretty positive pre-draft grades.

Whoever we bring in, I think should be brought in strictly for depth purposes, especially with Breaux supposedly ahead of schedule.

With the Colts being so upside down on offense and defense, I don't know that it's necessarily Cromartie's fault that he got cut but rather that he was getting paid $3 Million to be an average corner and that their scheme sucks anyway so why not cut a vet to make a point a la CJ Spiller?

I just don't want us to end up in a 2010 RB situation (Ladell Betts anyone? Julius Jones?) with the corners towards the end of the year - especially if we make a little run after getting healthy and then have some more injuries right at the worst possible time.

This is my point, though you took the time to explain it while I just posted a couple lines.

We have zero depth right now. So even if he's been getting torched this year, we need bodies with NFL experience at the CB position. What happens if Moore or Webb goes down? We're back to nothing but UDFA rookies as our starting corners.

I'm not saying he's going to be a savior, but he's been healthy and started in 4 games this year. That Indy team is a mess on both sides of the ball. At least we've seen him be really good in years past and could be a good stop gap for the rest of the season. If he were to come in and not work out...let him go and we're no worse for wear.

We.might as well bring back browner because you're getting about the same quality of play. Plus someone would have to be released to make room for him and would korenthan likely be a CB so it wouldn't help the depth Any.

We.might as well bring back browner because you're getting about the same quality of play. Plus someone would have to be released to make room for him and would korenthan likely be a CB so it wouldn't help the depth Any.

he is nowhere near the instant flag machine that browner was.

might be over the hill, which the more I read up on him appears to definitely be the case, but to equate him to browner is blasphemy.

Yep....30/31 is usually when corners start to lose their burst, acceleration etc. and just stop being good. Their play REALLY falls off the cliff at 32/33.

Like with anything, there are exceptions, but Cromartie isn't one of those lucky few it appears.

Even Darrelle Revis is starting to get burned left and right.

This is a young man's game. A young prospect in his mid 20s is a better player for us to sign than Cromartie simply because that young guy can still run fast, jump while running, and his eye-hand coordination/quick-twitchiness is at its peak.

I'm not even an NFL player, and even I felt something change in my body when it came to athletics once I got into my early 30s. Suddenly guys that were in their mid-20s were just flat-out better than me at pick-up basketball games or flag football etc., and there was nothing I could do about it. It's a weird feeling knowing you know HOW to play better, but just can't.

lol yea this is the truth, im 39 now and I am a shadow of my self in pickup basketball, its pretty disheartening getting older, having the knowledge on what to do, its just your body cant do it. I can see how these "older" athletes stay pass when they should ...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom