N/S Article with an update on Johnathan Vilma and his injury (1 Viewer)

Shanle is just as bad as Simoneau.

not hardly. statisticly or by watching them.

Like said, not saying he's great.. but you can't afford to have greats at every position.
you have to make do with some "avg" players hear and there. Would be easy to find and upgrade, but he's not horrid by any means.. just think of what it was like with the predecessors at those 2 positions.

It looks more and more like trading for him might not be smart. We may end up with a guy with glass knees who can never stay on the field.

I'm starting to agree, but just to play devil's advocate, did we not acquire Brees when he wasn't even able to throw a football. There's a chance he could still rehab to full health.

From Vilma's wikipedia:

"Vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) in high school, a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint, and this is a possible cause behind his season-ending 2007 injury."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Vilma

not hardly. statisticly or by watching them.

Like said, not saying he's great.. but you can't afford to have greats at every position.
you have to make do with some "avg" players hear and there. Would be easy to find and upgrade, but he's not horrid by any means.. just think of what it was like with the predecessors at those 2 positions.

Statistically they were pretty much dead even this year (Simoneau had 2 sacks to his none and 2 more tackles).

Neither are very good in coverage (Shanle is terrible), neither can hit, both have trouble overpowering someone, and both struggle to tackle consistently. Both are also god aweful slow.

I see very little if any difference between them and hope they are both replaced. Shanle may be slightly better based on how he played in 2006, but he is a backup at best at this point.

From Vilma's wikipedia:

"Vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) in high school, a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint, and this is a possible cause behind his season-ending 2007 injury."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Vilma

Thats my fear. I wouldn't mind getting him for a late round draft pick, while having a plan B incase he can't go. To give up a day one or early day two pick though would be foolish IMO with his condition.

Our LBing corp was terrible (minus Fujita)... period... we need a new starting MIKE and WILL LB... send Shanle to the bench/special teams...

Our LBing corp was terrible (minus Fujita)... period... we need a new starting MIKE and WILL LB... send Shanle to the bench/special teams...

So giving up a high round draft pick for a guy with a joint condition, who can hardly walk right now will solve this problem?

The grass is always greener, sure, but Vilma may be a pipedream.

So giving up a high round draft pick for a guy with a joint condition, who can hardly walk right now will solve this problem?

The grass is always greener, sure, but Vilma may be a pipedream.

Where did I mention getting Vilma in my post? :shrug:

I just said we need 2 new LBs... I do however agree that Vilma may not be able to run for a while, and that we may need to just take 2 in the draft.. take Rivers at 10, and take either Mayo or the kid from oklahoma at 42...

Where did I mention getting Vilma in my post? :shrug:

I just said we need 2 new LBs... I do however agree that Vilma may not be able to run for a while, and that we may need to just take 2 in the draft.. take Rivers at 10, and take either Mayo or the kid from oklahoma at 42...

Well I know you've been big on trading for Vilma all season, so I assumed you were still in favor of it.

I love Mayo. Hope we get in the 2nd.

Trading for Vilma = letting an injured Joe Johnson go to Green Bay. We all know how that turned out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom