N/S Bills are in pursuit of Ravens LT Jared Gaither (1 Viewer)

J. Brown is definitely worth a 1st round pick. The Saints drafted him in the first round, and he's proved to be an all-pro left tackle. I would be shocked if no team is willing give a 1st for him. The problem right now is you cant trade a player who hasnt signed his tender.

J. Brown is definitely worth a 1st round pick. The Saints drafted him in the first round, and he's proved to be an all-pro left tackle. I would be shocked if no team is willing give a 1st for him. The problem right now is you cant trade a player who hasnt signed his tender.
Then prepare to be shocked, no one is going to give a 1st for JB for many reasons

I think his value is 1st round (late 1st round with his injury concerns) as you do but the hook is that he wants a pretty sizeable contract extension. That's lowering the compensation to a 2nd and maybe even eventually a 3rd.

It's looking more and more like he's going to be lining up for us this season and we'll be getting a compensatory pick down the road as our trade partners dry up.

I still think Oakland is a possibility for some reason.

JB being traded will probably include a conditional pick. Maybe something like:

If he plays in 12+ games it is a second round pick.

If he makes the pro bowl it becomes a 1st and 3rd.

This is common for a guy coming off an injury/big season so that both teams protect themselves.

I think you guys are still overrating JB's value on the market...even before the draft I never believed we could get a 1st for him. First as it been said any trade will either require a new contract (that JB may not be willing to accept as his market value is probably as low as it gets) or taking the risk of playing him on his 1 year contract. Also and that's just my opinion but I think teams around the league realize that our OT play are in part the product of the system and I'm sure it scares some people. FInally while all the people who want to trade JB like to bring up the two pro bowl, the reallity is that his good seasons were a while ago now, he didn't play last year and played poorly in 2008 so the probowl LT tag some like to put on him is a bit tarnished IMO. Finally if you add the injuries from last year and the "possible" red flags with his knees you'll realize that JB's value is probably not that high.
On top of that since the Saints drafted CBrown last month, most teams realize that it puts us in a tough spot regarding our roster. Unless one of our OT can play guard we'll have to cut someone at one point since CBrown wouldn't last a minute on the PS

all pro left tackles are worth a first round pick in the NFL. that is simply a fact.
You guys have toi realize that JB hasn't played like an all pro since 2007 (and maybe 2006)....Flozell Adams is a 5 time probowler and is still on the market, why is that? :idunno:

You guys have toi realize that JB hasn't played like an all pro since 2007 (and maybe 2006)....Flozell Adams is a 5 time probowler and is still on the market, why is that? :idunno:

Because he's old as dirt and fell off a cliff in his ability.

Because he's old as dirt and fell off a cliff in his ability.
I know but I'm just trying to prove a point that probowl doesn't necessarily mean anything. Flozell isn't a good player anymore but he isn't so old that, on paper, he couldn't play anymore. JB's two probowl means very little IMO regarding his market value

Or maybe we just plan on keeping him?

Impossible right?
Of course its possible, but there are too many other reasons and too much smoke to think J. Brown won't be out of here at some point.

But in my mind it comes down to money. Not the Saints ability or willingness to pay a player that has earned a contract, but the simple fact that we've got two proven starting LTs on our team but only one open spot. Whoever you bench is going to get ****** because you're messing with his value - his money, his bottom line, his wallet. You can only play football for so many years, and nobody should begrudge a player that has proven he can play for wanting to strike while the iron is hot. If we keep all of our tackles, we effectively reduce the value of one (assuming the other stays healthy and plays the season) and risk his ability, as a provider for his family, to bring home the bacon. Thats the kind of stuff that can split a locker room fast, and potentially turn the team on management.

Payton has shown to be a guy that goes out of his way to cut veterans early in camp to allow them the chance to catch on with other clubs. I think he knows how sensitive this situation is, and for that reason I expect somebody to be dealt. I only assume its J. Brown because he is older, will have a bigger contract and has an injury history.

JB being traded will probably include a conditional pick. Maybe something like:

If he plays in 12+ games it is a second round pick.

If he makes the pro bowl it becomes a 1st and 3rd.

This is common for a guy coming off an injury/big season so that both teams protect themselves.

This is definitely the most likely scenario

flozell has been in the league 12 seasons. his play has declined significantly. Brown has only been in the league 5 seasons, his play is not declining. in fact he is in his prime. An all pro LT will require a big contract because it is widely considered the 2nd most important position on the field. Teams are willing to pay big money for that service. Its impossible that no team would be interested in Brown. I think a team like Detroit would give us a first for Brown.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom