N/S: Bills decline to pick up Sammy Watkins 5th year option. (1 Viewer)

I got excited too, but realized he will still play for the Bills in 2017

And with the news, he's already on the radar screen of every team in the league. He's an intriguing challenge for any GM weighing cost/benefit. The guy has the tools to be a beast if given a real quarterback.

And with the news, he's already on the radar screen of every team in the league. He's an intriguing challenge for any GM weighing cost/benefit. The guy has the tools to be a beast if given a real quarterback.
QB is the least of his problems. Staying healthy is the main concern.

The 5th year option is pretty expensive if I recall, so you aren't getting too much of a bargain by using the option. Given his injury history it makes sense to keep him this year on a 1 yr deal and sign him long term if he stays healthy and produces. The Bills are pretty cash strapped right now so they have to mitigate cap risks for the time being. Plus with bonuses, its likely that the first year of a long term deal will cost less against the cap than his option.

The 5th year option is pretty expensive if I recall, so you aren't getting too much of a bargain by using the option. Given his injury history it makes sense to keep him this year on a 1 yr deal and sign him long term if he stays healthy and produces. The Bills are pretty cash strapped right now so they have to mitigate cap risks for the time being. Plus with bonuses, its likely that the first year of a long term deal will cost less against the cap than his option.

It will be a bargain if he balls out and the Bills have to Franchise him. I don't get the decision if the long term goal was to keep him. I think Buffalo is preparing to move on from him in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 5th year option would be $13.26 million. I think it becomes guaranteed for injury. The franchise tag this year for a WR was $15.682 million. Given that he has a history of injuries, it is likely worth the $2.4 million risk to see how he plays this year before committing.

The 5th year option would be $13.26 million. I think it becomes guaranteed for injury. The franchise tag this year for a WR was $15.682 million. Given that he has a history of injuries, it is likely worth the $2.4 million risk to see how he plays this year before committing.

Correct. The 5th year option is guaranteed for injury during and becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the 2018 league year. Given his injury history they are smart not to take the option. If he stays healthy this year and has a great year they can always tag him next year.

This way of thinking makes zero sense. Im not saying I want him, but to not want a player bc hes coming from a certain team is just silly.

:worthy:

I never understood the thinking of those kind of posts. The only thing I can think of is they are fishing for free rep!

This is not going to be a guy I'd want the Saints to pursue. He's a top-tier talent, but this next season will go one of two ways:

A) He will have a monster 2017 season and be in line for a MASSIVE pay day next offseason.

B) He will not be able to play through the foot issues he's going to be dealing with for the rest of his career and will never be the same player.

I wanted him bad coming out.

Just like I wanted Kevin White bad coming out.

If Watkins hits the market, i hope we look at him hard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom