N/S Browns sending feelers for D Anderson (1 Viewer)

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
Reaction score
Derek Anderson, the former sixth-round pick who began '07 as Charlie Frye's backup and ended it as a Pro Bowl alternate, is scheduled to become a restricted free agent.

"If anybody is interested in him, we'll just have to see how it goes," Browns head coach Romeo Crennel said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3176068

I just knew they had to do this to make room for Ohio prodigy. Atleast Derek made some ripples big enough for the whole league to see.

Now that Quinn has a full year under his belt, I have to wonder how he'll be. I would have to think that he has shown promise, otherwise they wouldn't be entertaining offers.

I think it is more a question of economics and politics. They gave Brady Quinn a pretty big contract considering where he was drafted. Add to that that Anderson would be expensive to keep as well. There are probably more than one QB hungry team out there willing to pay for a young, winning QB. In order for them to keep him (even for trade purpose) Browns would have to give DA the highest tender. Anything else and he would be snapped up for cheap by a lot of teams in the league.

Quinn, even though the only action he has seen so far has been a few snaps while DA was out during the last game, has sold far more jerseys and have far more fan appeal. He is the man in Cleveland right now, so the team is willing to trade away a known commodity for an unproven young local hero. Risky decision but only time will show if it is the right one

What would the compensation be for picking him up?
Although he has shown it a bit I just don't think Palko is the long term answer as Drew's backup, Jason Fife may be it.
Jamie Martin will likely be released so I wouldn't mind maybe a 5th round pick compensation and a Jamie Martin sized contract for a very capable backup.

Although he has shown it a bit I just don't think Palko is the long term answer as Drew's backup, Jason Fife may be it.
Jamie Martin will likely be released so I wouldn't mind maybe a 5th round pick compensation and a Jamie Martin sized contract for a very capable backup.

Well he is a RFA so he would be due a nice raise, and he certainly proved this year that he can start in this league so I would assume they'll look for a team where he can start (greater trade compensation for the Browns there.) Don't think there's much chance he comes to New Orleans.

I think Falcons and Dolphins will probably take a closer look. The dolphins fans has been talking about DA since week 5 !

DA will want to start, and that eliminates the Saints from contention besides we have far bigger needs

At this point, I don't see Anderson leaving to be a backup even on a SB team. Besides, what kind of contract would he get to be a designated backup?

I too think that Quinn's appeal and marketability forces him to get his chance. Combine that with the size of his salary and you have no choice but to make a move. Either Anderson goes or Quinn goes. Kinda sounds like Brees and Phillips to me.

I don't know much about Anderson, but it looks like he can land on a much needy team and get the job done. I hope he's not a product/victim of the system and can't function outside said system.

Dolphins should jump all over him.

this looks like a Rivers rees deal.....I expect the Browns will probably be on the losing end as was the Chargers

this looks like a Rivers rees deal.....I expect the Browns will probably be on the losing end as was the Chargers

Don't like Quinn's chances? If the Browns retain all of the OCs, then Quinn should be in a great position to be as good as the hype.

Um, DA will command, at the very least, a first and a third as compensation as a RFA.

Quinn got in for a few snaps Sunday and looked pretty good considering he didn't get many prep reps... the Browns got a glimpse of the future, and throw in the fact that Quinn is an Ohio kid... Cleveland really have no choice but to tender him something that they can get a good pick in return... but I doubt they'd anything more than a 4th for him.

This reminds me of Mike Shanahan a couple years ago, with a 7-4 record in the playoff hunt, benching Jake Plummer to play Jay Cutler. I think they finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

The Brownies were 2 Rob Bironas field goals away from a playoff berth, and they want to re-invent the wheel.

Stupid.

This isn't really like Brees/Rivers.

Quinn's contract is only for $9.2m over five years with $7+ mill guaranteed. Rivers got the fourth-overall contract. Huuuuuge disparity. If the Browns are tied to him it's not because they feel obligated to financially.

And yes, the Browns will tender Anderson the highest tender, a 1st and a 3rd. Some team might pay that -- look at what Schaub got.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom