N/S: Bucs kicker, Roberto Aguayo, missing chip shots (1 Viewer)

Of course if it's a choice between Andrus Peat and Anderson it's a easy decision. But that's not how draft works.

from post 18

I'm not saying taking any kicker, i'm saying taking one of those two. Obviously this is all hypothetical.

I understand what you're saying. You're saying you'd only take a kicker in the first round that had a 1st round worthy career. The thing you seem to ignore is that you will never know that at the time you make a draft pick. You might think you're getting the next Anderson or Janikowski, but there's just as good a chance you're picking the next Erxleben. History shows, that drafting a kicker in the high rounds is not worth the risk in regards to potential rewards.

At any rate, I bow out and say, lets keep an eye on the rookie Arguayo, but lets remember, we still have a first rounder who can't find a spot to even make an impact on the team...or maybe that his his impact.

So much for bowing out. No pick is a guarantee, but history shows that tackles have significantly higher chance of success the higher they are taken. That doesn't mean all of them will succeed, just that the success risk-reward ratio justifies spending a first round pick on a highly graded tackle.

Of course its not how the draft works, and judging a rookie kicker after 2 preseason games isn't how you judge if the kid is a bust.

It's not about whether or not he ends up a "bust." The question that remains to be seen is whether or not his career is significantly better than most of the lowly drafted, UDFA or available free agent kickers from this year.

Anderson and Janikowski have the same number of field goal and extra point attempts in Super Bowls as Bush, Jordan, and Jenkins. If you don't have the talent to be in a position for your kicker to win the game, why have the kicker? What's the best chance to get the talent come to put your kicker in a position to win games? The first and second rounds of the draft.

What?

It is a two way street, and one of the lanes may be bigger than the other. Too many games are won and lost in last second field goals. Miss a FG from the 35, you give the ball back at the 43. Miss a field goal, you leave points off the scoreboard and you give the ball back to your opponent.

He will be fine. After it all said and done he will be a 10+ year player for them and when he was drafted will gradually matter less

Some people might get a kick out of this.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers fans boo as rookie kicker Roberto Aguayo struggles again

During Tuesday's joint practice with the Cleveland Browns, Aguayo went 3 for 6 on field goal attempts, and Bucs fans booed him loudly.

"He's struggling," coach Dirk Koetter said after practice. "He's struggling a little bit right now. He's gotta work his way through it."

The first miss came on his first attempt of practice at 35 yards out. After making the next two attempts, he backed up to 45 yards, and shanked it. He attempted a 45-yarder again and missed, with the ball sailing wide left.

Through two preseason games, he's missed two field goals and an extra point. During his entire time at FSU, he was 198 for 198 on extra points and only missed nine field goals in three years.

Meanwhile, former Bucs kicker Patrick Murray, now with the Browns, went 4 for 4 on his kicks during the joint practice session. The Bucs waived him in May, 2½ weeks after drafting Aguayo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i28UEoLXVFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's like putting. When doubt creeps in, you go from trying to make it to trying not to miss it. I hate to wish bad mojo on the lad, but he does play for a division rival. :scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom