N/S C Justin Hartwig released by Carolina (1 Viewer)

Fun Bunch

All-Pro
Reaction score
POSTED 5:55 p.m. EDT, March 11, 2008

PANTHERS HACK HARTWIG

The Carolina Panthers have continued to move toward a dramatically revamped offensive line in 2008 with the release of starting center Justin Hartwig.

The move was first reported by Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com and confirmed by Charles Chandler of the Charlotte Observer.

The Panthers had signed Hartwig to a five-year, $17 million contract in 2006, after he spent the first four seasons of his NFL career with the Titans. The move creates more than $2.15 million in 2008 cap room.

Hartwig most likely will be replaced in the starting lineup by Ryan Kalil, a second-round draft pick in 2007.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

So are we interested? Center/interior Line help is a big need at this point IMO. We weren't going to pay the ridiculous amount for Faine, and while Goodwin played well, we don't know for sure that he is the answer at Center for a whole season.

Hartwig has a lot of starting experience. He was cut to clear caproom and give Kalil the chance to start. I really don't know that much about him, so maybe someone can shed some light.

interesting... I think Goody's gonna be great. I like the fact that as a backup we could use him anywhere on the line. If Goody starts who fills that role? If we get Justin then Goody ends up back in that role. I think he played well enough to merit the starting job (provided he competes in TC). If we brought Justin in surely that would mean we would expect him to be the starter. In this case I say we draft a center and hope that Goody holds up for the long run. Lord knows he's got the body to do so.

I would like to get Hartwig...He's young and is a pretty good center. Also, it would be nice to poach another player from the Kitties and him being great for us..

We then can move Goodwin back to being the "swing/utility" guy and have GREAT depth for the O-line like before.

PS- We would keep the J-Line going! :ezbill:

I would like to get Hartwig...He's young and is a pretty good center. Also, it would be nice to poach another player from the Kitties and him being great for us..

We then can move Goodwin back to being the "swing/utility" guy and have GREAT depth for the O-line like before.

PS- We would keep the J-Line going! :ezbill:

that makes sense but Goody has earned his chance.

that makes sense but Goody has earned his chance.

He would earn it by beating out any competitors for the position. If Hartwig were to come in and outplay him, so be it.

The guy wasn't making ridiculous money in CAR so why was he cut? He plays two seasons for them and that's it???? Kalil could play guard for a year or two if Hart is really that good.

Gotta be something else to that, if he's still a good player....

He would earn it by beating out any competitors for the position. If Hartwig were to come in and outplay him, so be it.

from where I see it he beat out Faine but never got to start in spite of it.

little info on hartwig from a panthers fan.

He had a serious groin injury in his first year in carolina and has lost serious muscle mass that he cannot put back on. He was a very good player when we signed him, however the injury has affected his play since. I hope he gets a job somewhere, but unfortunately the injury has made him a shell of what he was and could have been

As far as Goodwin starting and needing a backup... I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Nesbit could fill in @ center if needed, and/or Alleman...

With that said, I agree that we should still look for O-line (center/guard) sometime in the later rounds.

Bet Pittsburgh takes a look at him. Their FA center last year Sean Mahan was downright awful this year.

I wanted the Saints to look at Hartwig when he was a free agent. At the very least he would be a good depth signing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom